Shuttleworth Uncovered 4 October 2015

Discussion forum for all things Shuttleworth

Re: Shuttleworth Uncovered 4 October 2015

Post by 5944 »

TKK 140 wrote:It has been a wonderful day, unfortunately there has been an incident requiring an ambulance and the police.
Hope everyone is OK.

It was a very nasty incident, not a good way to end an excellent show.

MRTT

Post by MRTT »

What happened?
2016 Shows
Duxford Spring
Weston
Cosford
Yeovilton
RIAT
Bournemouth
Jersey

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Talldan76 wrote:Stunning display from XH558... Lots of power, lots of noise...

Car alarms going off by the dozen...

Lots of flies in eyes amongst the crowd...

I was rather underwhelmed by it, noise aside. Not a patch on how it was flown at the Military Pageant in July.

Out with a whimper, sadly. Didn't see anyone with anything in their eye either - just a number making a dash for the car parks.

Majority of the show seemed to be not up to the usual Old Warden standards in general I thought - lots of undersides and turning away from the bend...?

R4118 is an excellent addition to the airfield though, and great that it'll remain in this country.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Airwolfhound

Post by Airwolfhound »

BrizeWatcher wrote:What happened?

Apparently a 'golf buggy' lost control and wiped out a few bystanders and dragged someone along the gravel road, according to my wife who saw it happen. Not pleasant at all :sad:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24874528@N04/

Agile, mobile and hostile ;-)

itfcscott
UKAR Staff

Post by itfcscott »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:
Majority of the show seemed to be not up to the usual Old Warden standards in general I thought - lots of undersides and turning away from the bend.

Glad it wasn't just me that noticed this, seemed like they were using a much more straight display line to me than usual. Also seemed to be a lack of anything running in from the left side of the display line, with most having to go straight along the back of the crowd and run in from the right. Wouldn't class myself as a regular at Old Warden but didn't seem normal.

Agree with Dan on the Vulcan too, although enjoyed hearing Martin Withers talking through the display.

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:

I was rather underwhelmed by it, noise aside. Not a patch on how it was flown at the Military Pageant in July.

Out with a whimper, sadly. Didn't see anyone with anything in their eye either - just a number making a dash for the car parks.

Majority of the show seemed to be not up to the usual Old Warden standards in general I thought.

You obviously weren't stood anywhere near me or my parents then. A few tears were definitely shed. Personally I loved the show. Two Hurricanes, Demon, Gladiator, Comet, PO.2, 504, Biff and the Edwardians certainly did it for me. Fantastic show.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

TheDuck

Post by TheDuck »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:

Majority of the show seemed to be not up to the usual Old Warden standards in general I thought - lots of undersides and turning away from the bend...?

Have to say I thought it bettered its first appearence, more of a display than a series of flypasts and to see it with the Anson were a particular treat.

I go to Old Warden a lot, only noticed a few more undersides in the the Comet and Mew Gull display. However the Scout, Hurricanes', Provest and Havard were all particular highlight and the Seafire made a much better showing of itself this time as well.

To see the Edwardains' as well. :cool:
Last edited by TheDuck on Sun 04 Oct 2015, 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Talldan76
UKAR Staff

Post by Talldan76 »

The Baron wrote:
LN Strike Eagle wrote:

Majority of the show seemed to be not up to the usual Old Warden standards in general I thought.

You obviously weren't stood anywhere near me or my parents then. A few tears were definitely shed. Personally I loved the show. Two Hurricanes, Demon, Gladiator, Comet, PO.2, 504, Biff and the Edwardians certainly did it for me. Fantastic show.

Nor me, there were people crying after the first pass, let alone at the end of the display.

It also seemed like there were lots of topsides - we were stood about 50ft from the tower, and there were no less in this show than July to me...

TKK 140

Post by TKK 140 »

Talldan76 wrote:
The Baron wrote:
LN Strike Eagle wrote:

Nor me, there were people crying after the first pass, let alone at the end of the display.

It also seemed like there were lots of topsides - we were stood about 50ft from the tower, and there were no less in this show than July to me...

V near the tower too and agree 100% with your comments and the Edwardians were great too.
Some left after the Vulcan but by far the majority stayed put.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Talldan76 wrote:Nor me, there were people crying after the first pass, let alone at the end of the display.

I was on the bend as usual - all the Vulcan's passes along the crowdline were either level, or showing underside. The fact you can glimpse upper surfaces on the far side of a bank away from the crowd doesn't constitute a "topside pass", because it's nowhere near the display line.

In July, there were at least two, very close and tailored topside passes that presented the Vulcan in a Shuttleworth "style" display. Today's looked like a pretty run of the mill routine that happened to be flown at Shuttleworth. There was no bomb door pass in July, for example, and the bend was put to absolutely zero use today compared to how they flew it earlier this summer. It also seemed very short to me? Meanwhile, they managed to roll it elsewhere on their flight today...

Very noisy, absolutely, and that was by far the best aspect of today's display, but for me, I was expecting a lot more, especially given how well it was tailored to the venue in July. Today was the perfect setting - the ideal venue, a late afternoon time slot, glorious sunlight and blue skies and coming off the back of such a great showing in July. Given all that, I thought it was a terrible anti-climax and failed to live up to the hype and billing.

I'd be amazed if those outside the venue didn't get better shots than the crowd did - that's almost unthinkable at OW!

I thought, as a whole, that the show wasn't as good as usual at Shuttleworth - it felt like something was missing compared to the others I've attended this season, and the Vulcan's poor showing knocked the stuffing out of it a little IMO, as it was all set-up so perfectly for them to leave a lasting impression.

TheDuck

Post by TheDuck »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:I thought, as a whole, that the show wasn't as good as usual at Shuttleworth - it felt like something was missing compared to the others I've attended this season

Strange how two people interested in aviation can go to the same event, stand fairly close to each other and have complete opposite opinions. I easily thought it passed as Shuttleworth's best show this year. First time I've seen a Scout fly, first time for a long time the Hurricane R4118 displayed there and never seen a Provest and Havard together and the already mentioned Vulcan and Anson. It's not often you go to an airshow and see so much you've never seen before, displayed beautifully.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Ryan. wrote:
LN Strike Eagle wrote:I thought, as a whole, that the show wasn't as good as usual at Shuttleworth - in fact, I'd go so far to say that it was probably the least satisfying display I've seen at the venue.

Strange how two people interested in aviation can go to the same event, stand fairly close to each other and have complete opposite opinions. I easily thought it passed as Shuttleworth's best show this year. First time I've seen a Scout fly, first time for a long time the Hurricane R4118 displayed there and never seen a Provest and Havard together and the already mentioned Vulcan and Anson. It's not often you go to an airshow and see so much you've never seen before, displayed beautifully.

Still better than most airshows, and not without its moments (best displays for me either Dodge in the Scout, or the Yak-52 which was a terrifically punchy aerobatic routine), but not as good as the show last month IMO, which itself wasn't as good as either the July Pageant or Evening display IMO.

I think part of the problem for me was the pacing - Seafire, Hurricanes, Gladiator, Demon, Comet all up inside the first hour left little to look forward to besides the Vulcan, and as the weather and light got better and better, all the good stuff was on the ground. Too many of them flew in mixed displays too - I prefer to see each aircraft get the spotlight with a proper solo instead of formation passes and truncated individual performances.

Talldan76
UKAR Staff

Post by Talldan76 »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:
I think part of the problem for me was the pacing - Seafire, Hurricanes, Gladiator, Demon, Comet all up inside the first hour left little to look forward to besides the Vulcan, and as the weather and light got better and better, all the good stuff was on the ground. Too many of them flew in mixed displays too - I prefer to see each aircraft get the spotlight with a proper solo instead of formation passes and truncated individual performances.

I agree with this, the light was a lot better at the end, and it was a shame that the Hurricanes, Seafire and Comet were all up early on when the light was a bit.. muh...

TheDuck

Post by TheDuck »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:
Ryan. wrote:
LN Strike Eagle wrote:I thought, as a whole, that the show wasn't as good as usual at Shuttleworth - it felt like something was missing compared to the others I've attended this season.

Still better than most airshows, and not without its moments (best displays for me either Dodge in the Scout, or the Yak-52 which was a terrifically punchy aerobatic routine), but not as good as the show last month IMO, which itself wasn't as good as either the July Pageant or Evening display IMO.

I have to agree about the order of the aircraft at the start of the display.

That Yak bearly left the airfield! Fantastic display. The Scout is a thing of beauty and I hope it becomes a regular at Shuttleworth. The only critism from me would be not enough Blenhiem! As after its display there earlier in the year that aircraft felt it was made for that venue and hoped it would be back.

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

Great airshow,shame about the Vulcan!

TKK 140

Post by TKK 140 »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:
Ryan. wrote:
LN Strike Eagle wrote:I thought, as a whole, that the show wasn't as good as usual at Shuttleworth - it felt like something was missing compared to the others I've attended this season

Sounds like your positioning this week was not as good as Duxford? We had the sun perfectly behind us today. I enjoyed the whole show, but agree that the July show was the best..... but surely today must be better than a slow day at North Weald?

rob68

Post by rob68 »

TKK. Excellent memory nice meeting up

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

TKK 140 wrote:Sounds like your positioning this week was not as good as Duxford? We had the sun perfectly behind us today.

Probably no more than 100 feet or so apart, but you had the sun and I and everyone else around me didn't, based on what, exactly...? :dunno:

but surely today must be better than a slow day at North Weald?

It's all relative.

Tomahawk

Post by Tomahawk »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:I think part of the problem for me was the pacing - Seafire, Hurricanes, Gladiator, Demon, Comet all up inside the first hour left little to look forward to besides the Vulcan, and as the weather and light got better and better, all the good stuff was on the ground.

Whilst I fully agree with you Dan on the Vulcan (but to be honest it was never going to live up to the hype), I think its very unfair to say all the good stuff was on the ground after the first hour, yes the weather and the light got better and as a result the true 'spirit of Shuttleworth' was able to shine, by which I mean the WW1 combo and the Edwardians.

The Deperdussin did two straight hops and the Blackburn some gentle circuits but just seeing them fly made my aviation 'year'.

TKK 140

Post by TKK 140 »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:
TKK 140 wrote:Sounds like your positioning this week was not as good as Duxford? We had the sun perfectly behind us today.

Probably no more than 100 feet or so apart, but you had the sun and I and everyone else around me didn't, based on what, exactly...? :dunno:

but surely today must be better than a slow day at North Weald?

It's all relative.

We, meaning the crowd had the sun.

TKK 140

Post by TKK 140 »

rob68 wrote:TKK. Excellent memory nice meeting up

Good to see you guys and hearing about Malta.
See you at Donington in the spring!

rambo

Post by rambo »

Why do you lot get so uptight about photos!! I think maybe you should take a break from photography, because clearly it's ruining shows for you. I had no camera, which means the show was perfect, sun was perfect, flying was perfect, and got to see loads of underside passes...... Lovely!

The only slight issue was the vulcan having to go further out to avoid the crowds, but it's not the crowds fault, we can all blame Andy hill for that!

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

Yes why do many people only seem to judge shows by one criteria nowadays, there is more, much more, to a show than photography. OW is about that intangible spirit, the sights, sounds, smells of vintage aviation, and it is a wonderful, unique in the world venue in that respect. I had no camera and loved soaking up this last show of 2015. And what a great crowd you always get there too (with or without Vulcan :wave: )... Not a trace of litter at the end of the show.
Rambo, not sure about your Shoreham comment!

TKK 140

Post by TKK 140 »

Loved every minute, OW really leads the way with these unique shows.
Fantastic that the very public spirited person who purchased UPW has the faith to place it at Shuttleworth. Whoever you are thank you!

JohnnyM100

Post by JohnnyM100 »

Do agree with LN Strike Eagle & itfcscott that there were more undersides and little use of the bend for East to West passes; with the angle of the sun at the time it would have been ideal. I think the naughty field people would have had better topsides than those inside.

That said, it was great to see her and the final ahem 'bank' as she left was met with a loud cheer from those around me.

Really liked Martin's commentary; suited the occasion well.

Rest of the show was excellent and saw some aircraft in the air that I hadn't seen before.