Shuttleworth Uncovered 4 October 2015

Discussion forum for all things Shuttleworth
Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Re: Shuttleworth Uncovered 4 October 2015

Post by Wissam24 »

I was happy with the amount of topsides on show. The Vulcan certainly gave more than 60 degrees of bank and it was loud enough to set the car alarms off. Dare I say I had a lump in my throat? Knowing it was the last time I'd get to see it do a display of any sort. It's not all about the photography and the topsides...for em the experience of hearing a totally, utterly quiet crowd almost holding their breath in anticipation was very special. Not the buzz it normally gets before the run-in, but sheer, utter quiet. And the crowd cheered when it did its wingover at the end. A nice way to say goodbye. How nice to have it in formation with the Anson too.

Martin Withers may not be the most experienced of commentators but it was nice to hear him talk about the aircraft. I felt he was much nicer a commentator than Maffet to be honest - certainly didn't slag off the third-parties in any way, and in fact he stopped the Seuss quote halfway through to introduce the Anson. And he effectively admitted that Kev Rumens was the best (most energetic) display pilot as well.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

TKK 140

Post by TKK 140 »

Wissam24 wrote:I was happy with the amount of topsides on show. The Vulcan certainly gave more than 60 degrees of bank and it was loud enough to set the car alarms off. Dare I say I had a lump in my throat? Knowing it was the last time I'd get to see it do a display of any sort. It's not all about the photography and the topsides...for em the experience of hearing a totally, utterly quiet crowd almost holding their breath in anticipation was very special. Not the buzz it normally gets before the run-in, but sheer, utter quiet. And the crowd cheered when it did its wingover at the end. A nice way to say goodbye. How nice to have it in formation with the Anson too.

Martin Withers may not be the most experienced of commentators but it was nice to hear him talk about the aircraft. I felt he was much nicer a commentator than Maffet to be honest - certainly didn't slag off the third-parties in any way, and in fact he stopped the Seuss quote halfway through to introduce the Anson. And he effectively admitted that Kev Rumens was the best (most energetic) display pilot as well.

Yes, well put! The final display was a perfect balance and as the commentator mentioned the jet thrust had been limited from the last time out at OW. It was used economically and effectively. The top sides were quite short in duration and most from left to right before the bend, but I think I bagged a few. The Yak top sided everywhere with an excellent display. MJ had a much higher routine than usual but still breath taking. the multiple vaults where he flips it over and over in different directions is just staggering!

(The incident mentioned yesterday is in the Bedfordshire papers today. Three elderly people taken to hospital one with a broken leg and deep cut. That is a real shame and wish them well.)

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

JohnnyM100 wrote: and little use of the bend for East to West passes;

That's because its North to South. :biggrin:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Roughcutter

Post by Roughcutter »

TKK 140 wrote:Loved every minute, OW really leads the way with these unique shows.
Fantastic that the very public spirited person who purchased UPW has the faith to place it at Shuttleworth. Whoever you are thank you!

I'll second that, love the atmosphere at OW, it's so relaxed and civilised there (unlike a few other venues).

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

TKK 140 wrote:We, meaning the crowd had the sun.

So it was only me that saw clouds in the early-mid afternoon then? The Comet, for example, displayed in blazing sunshine for the rest of you? :dunno:

Besides your obvious intent to get personal about it, hence your comments about both Duxford and North Weald, I don't understand why you even raised the point of the weather? I've not complained about it, and it would hardly be Shuttleworth's fault in any case!

Tomahawk wrote:
LN Strike Eagle wrote:I think part of the problem for me was the pacing - Seafire, Hurricanes, Gladiator, Demon, Comet all up inside the first hour left little to look forward to besides the Vulcan, and as the weather and light got better and better, all the good stuff was on the ground.

Whilst I fully agree with you Dan on the Vulcan (but to be honest it was never going to live up to the hype), I think its very unfair to say all the good stuff was on the ground after the first hour, yes the weather and the light got better and as a result the true 'spirit of Shuttleworth' was able to shine, by which I mean the WW1 combo and the Edwardians.

The Deperdussin did two straight hops and the Blackburn some gentle circuits but just seeing them fly made my aviation 'year'.

Well yes, but you're probably taking it a little bit too literally. Naturally the WW1 and Edwardians are highlights, but even on a good weather day you can't take their appearance for granted. With that said, as I reeled off yesterday, many of the highlights and surprise items (Hurricane and Seafire) were done and dusted within the opening 60 minutes. I've acknowledged the Scout, in particular, as one of the absolute star items yesterday, wonderfully flown in perfect weather. Doesn't alter the fact that a lot of the "big hitters" on the list were over and done with while the display was still young.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Georgeconna

Post by Georgeconna »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:
Talldan76 wrote:Stunning display from XH558... Lots of power, lots of noise...

Car alarms going off by the dozen...

Lots of flies in eyes amongst the crowd...

I was rather underwhelmed by it, noise aside. Not a patch on how it was flown at the Military Pageant in July.

Out with a whimper, sadly. Didn't see anyone with anything in their eye either - just a number making a dash for the car parks.

Majority of the show seemed to be not up to the usual Old Warden standards in general I thought - lots of undersides and turning away from the bend...?

R4118 is an excellent addition to the airfield though, and great that it'll remain in this country.

Bloody hell your tough cookie to please. Full time airshow Moaner it seems. Could not Fault the show,Maybe you go to just too many shows and take them for Granted?
Cheers

George

Zero shows for 2018 Giving in a Rest.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Georgeconna wrote:Bloody hell your tough cookie to please. Full time airshow Moaner it seems. Could not Fault the show,Maybe you go to just too many shows and take them for Granted?

Am I? Really? I'm not even the only person that has said these things in this thread. Why do I take all the flak ffs?

Let's re-cap my 2015 season then for those that are having difficulty. I'll paste comments that I have made about every air display I have attended this year, taken either from the forum or via the UKAR website reports which I have helped write and prepare...

Shuttleworth Military Pageant:
Once again, the venue's dog-leg layout lent itself to some of the finest flying you'll see at any airshow this, or any other, summer.

A superb day, of the sort that Old Warden simply does better than anywhere else.

Headcorn Battle of Britain:
Took a punt on this over Legends and very happy with that decision - terrific venue, well organised, friendly crowd and a great selection of aircraft at a very good ticket price.

...highly enjoyable day nonetheless, and what a lovely little airfield. A great atmosphere and a very friendly crowd too - everybody seemed to be chatting to each other and just having a great time.

Super impressed with it for a ticket price of £15 - five Spitfires, four Hurricanes, two Buchons, two Harvards and the Blenheim, and all bar one of them were on the ground at the show too. That's a steal - we'd all be creaming ourselves if OW ever assembled a list like that.

Shuttleworth "Best of British":
This was a truly superb evening of flying; top marks to the Shuttleworth Collection for assembling, for the second show running, a quite superb range of both visiting and based aircraft. There are just four more shows to follow in 2015 at Old Warden, and if they're anywhere near as good as this one, then we're in for a real treat.

Could have done with this show starting an hour earlier as it was almost dark by the end, and had some of that high cloud turning the light rather milky/hazy at times, but the flying was top notch.

Shuttleworth Pageant:
Excellent show yesterday. Some really nice flying - pleased to see the WW1 aircraft up after they weren't able to fly in the Military Pageant show, and nicely displayed they were too.

Shuttleworth Uncovered:
Still better than most airshows, and not without its moments (best displays for me either Dodge in the Scout, or the Yak-52 which was a terrifically punchy aerobatic routine)...

"Full time moaner", eh... :wall: You wouldn't think you'd ever need to spell it out that plainly, let alone do it twice in a day!

I said it wasn't the best Shuttleworth show I've ever attended - I didn't say it was bad, and the majority of my criticism was aimed squarely at the Vulcan. Do you understand yet?

:surrender: :surrender: :surrender:
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

TKK 140

Post by TKK 140 »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:

So it was only me that saw clouds in the early-mid afternoon then? The Comet, for example, displayed in blazing sunshine for the rest of you? :dunno:

Besides your obvious intent to get personal about it, hence your comments about both Duxford and North Weald, I don't understand why you even raised the point of the weather? I've not complained about it, and it would hardly be Shuttleworth's fault in any case!

Reply.
No intent, it is was your pretty adamant view in reply to my comments about the light at Duxford that I gained the impression that it is the custom and practice for debate? My comments are based on what you yourself put in the public domain, and promoting a debate. I enjoyed the day and late sunshine and, yes times of broken cloud and variability, but the dog leg towards the tower had an advantage on this occasion where the aircraft did figures of eights in the middle, where I stood they pretty much circled and provided some top side through out the afternoon. Just luck in where I ended up.
I actually thought your positioning and use of the light at Duxford was quite masterful. However I did not mention the weather, I mentioned the sun, I never said you complained about it and where the Shuttleworth thing comes from I don't know.
Shall we put this aside and move on?
Last edited by TKK 140 on Mon 05 Oct 2015, 9:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kph100

Post by kph100 »

Having never been to Old Warden prior to the two Vulcan appearances this year , I have really enjoyed the shows and would definitely go again.
I thought the previous Vulcan performance used the flight line curve to a much better extent coming in both ways around the curve., but then a lot of aircraft on Sunday seemed to on coming from the right turn away right than go left around the curve.

I loved the uncovered aspect of being able to get so close to the aircraft. Enjoyed the day.

Orion

Post by Orion »

TKK 140 wrote:
LN Strike Eagle wrote:

Shall we put this aside and move on?

What a good idea!

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Come on guys, lets not enter the off-season like this...
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

duxfordhawk

Post by duxfordhawk »

kph100 wrote:Having never been to Old Warden prior to the two Vulcan appearances this year , I have really enjoyed the shows and would definitely go again.
I thought the previous Vulcan performance used the flight line curve to a much better extent coming in both ways around the curve., but then a lot of aircraft on Sunday seemed to on coming from the right turn away right than go left around the curve.

I loved the uncovered aspect of being able to get so close to the aircraft. Enjoyed the day.

I noticed this too and I assumed that was something to do with tighter restrictions on displays that are currently in place.
It was a great show and I will forever remember that Vulcan howl, I had a tear or 2 in my eyes as she flew off for sure, as I know unless something is planned for a flypast over the London area, I will never see her again.
It was a fantastic airshow and a great end to a troubled airshow season in many ways.
Martin
To see my Photos go to
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dxhawk/

WG655
UKAR Staff

Post by WG655 »

Would anyone happen to have (or know of the whereabouts of) a list of visiting aircraft (light aircraft wise) for this show? :smile:

andygolfer

Post by andygolfer »

here's a link to one that I prepared from my photos taken on the day, think I got everything:

http://www.civilianaviation.co.uk/forum ... 62&t=23665

HTH
Andy
andygolfer

winner of Air-Britain photo competition 2019

WG655
UKAR Staff

Post by WG655 »

Thanks very much Andy, that's just what I was looking for. :biggrin: