Discussion forum for all things Shuttleworth
Mikkel

Re: Shuttleworth Edwardian Pageant- August 7th 2016

Post by Mikkel »

Nice find, thanks Boff

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

Forecast now sunny intervals from 14.00.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

AlexC wrote:Forecast now sunny intervals from 14.00.

15-19mph crosswind though, according to the BBC.

Even if they use the cross runway, it's probably going to be too gusty for the WW1 aircraft and I doubt the Comet will fly - it looks very windy watching the trees outside here in Essex now, far more than at any other point today.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Buggeration. :sad:

Well, come what may. Still much worse things to be doing on a Sunday afternoon, Comet or no...

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Aye should be a good day come what may, if Comet flies I'll be exstatic otherwise I want a good low topside of R4118 :-)

John5199

Post by John5199 »

Model aircraft just crashed about 20ft from the crowd line and just next to the Gladiator :sad: Didn't see exactly what happened but it was been blown around in the wind a bit.
Nikon D7100, D7200
Nikon 70-300 AF-S VR
Nikon 200-500 AF-S VR

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

The wind here at Duxford was strong enough to swing a visiting parked Harvard. Max gust so far 30kts.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

John5199 wrote:Model aircraft just crashed about 20ft from the crowd line and just next to the Gladiator :sad: Didn't see exactly what happened but it was been blown around in the wind a bit.

I saw the whole incident, very hairy but I'm not going to post any details.

The Comet and Mew Gull have flown very low and close, but the wind is causing a few problems, no WW1 are flying and the BBMF have cancelled.

Andy

Mikkel

Post by Mikkel »

Since Friday i changed my mind about going so many times, eventually yesterday at 16 30 i bought tickets and now that i have seen the Comet fly i am glad i did.
The way he handled that plane on take off and landing you would not have thought it was very windy.

Also enjoyed the 9 Tiger Moth, having had the controls on one of those on a calm day i could really appreciate it when commentator was talking about how much of a hard work it would be to fly those in that wind.

rob68

Post by rob68 »

Boff

Saw the incident, tbh the incident could have been a lot worse than pride damaged but something went wrong and needs to be reviewed. Someone I know was sitting directly in front of it and said he thought it was coming at him

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Was thinking more of keeping the details of the incident (involving a model aircraft) out of the gaze of the gutter press who would and will twist it into an attack on full size airshows to suit their agendas Rob.... Not that it wasn't an issue that requires review...

FTS

Post by FTS »

I was very close to the point where it came down and it certainly was... interesting. Bit of a squeaky bum moment!
facebook.com/shgpmedia
instagram.com/shgphotography86/
Youtube - SHGP Media

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

boff180 wrote:I want a good low topside of R4118 :-)

You got plenty of them, and the Comet flew! First time I've seen her in the air since Farnborough back in around '78.

It was obvious that the WW1 etc. types would not fly before they confirmed, they were all safely back in the hangers well before 14.00.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

So, Shuttleworth managed to fly the notoriously difficult Comet and TWO Hurricanes, while the BBMF had another day in bed?

Must be the easiest posting in the RAF. Wonder what their percentage of missed displays are per season?

john001

Post by john001 »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:So, Shuttleworth managed to fly the notoriously difficult Comet and TWO Hurricanes, while the BBMF had another day in bed?

Must be the easiest posting in the RAF. Wonder what their percentage of missed displays are per season?

So what was the wind and direction at Old Warden compared to Coningsby?

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Coningsby had winds due West and 19 to 20 kts gusting 29 to 30kts at the time they were trying to get LF363 up for its flypast at Shuttleworth.

I understand the BBMF operate a strict 10kts crosswind element limit on the fighters for safety in order to eliminate all risk of a ground loop. That limit increases to 15kts for the Lancaster.

However the wind was varying all over the country, gusts were strong enough at Duxford just down the road to spin a stationary Harvard!

Hardly an easy posting Dan when only 2 pilots are permanently posted, the rest are volunteers giving their time up when not on duty doing their day job....

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:So, Shuttleworth managed to fly the notoriously difficult Comet and TWO Hurricanes?

Yes, and very good they were too! And Shuttleworth topsides are back to normal!

TKK 140

Post by TKK 140 »

Great show, The Comet and two Mew Gulls, the light during the display by the Hurricanes; in my view made the event well worth attending on there own.
The pilots were much more relaxed during this show, and this shone through and they and we enjoyed it very much.
Thanks OW :win:

Thoughtful_Flyer

Post by Thoughtful_Flyer »

John5199 wrote:Model aircraft just crashed about 20ft from the crowd line and just next to the Gladiator :sad: Didn't see exactly what happened but it was been blown around in the wind a bit.

Was the model part of the display?

AMB

Post by AMB »

Thoughtful_Flyer wrote:

Yes, it was. I guess they were trying to fill the slots left due to the high winds. It was a model of a PZL Wilga flying before the real aircraft got airborne.
Adrian

Thoughtful_Flyer

AMB wrote:
Thoughtful_Flyer wrote:

Yes, it was. I guess they were trying to fill the slots left due to the high winds. It was a model of a PZL Wilga flying before the real aircraft got airborne.

Thanks. What sort of size?

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

Thoughtful_Flyer wrote:Thanks. What sort of size?

Big, really big! Think I heard someone say 1/3rd scale, but don't quote me on that!

Thoughtful_Flyer

AlexC wrote:
Thoughtful_Flyer wrote:Thanks. What sort of size?

Big, really big! Think I heard someone say 1/3rd scale, but don't quote me on that!

Interesting thanks.

I am a regular attender at OW but couldn't go on this occasion. Also heavily involved in model flying and a member of the LMA but I wasn't aware that there was to be any models last Sunday.

UK Airshow Review
UKAR Staff

Post by UK Airshow Review »

• "The King Is Back" - Messrs Tom Jones and Andy Evans provide coverage of the first of Shuttleworth's August events of 2016.

Image Image Image Image Image