Season Premiere Airshow Sunday 8 May 2016

Discussion forum for all things Shuttleworth
LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Re: Season Premiere Airshow Sunday 8 May 2016

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

PirateTrickster wrote:none of us had attended a Shuttleworth display before.

There's your answer then. With all due respect, you have no benchmark to compare to. You've no idea what you missed out on, or how poor Sunday was in comparison.

Also, as I pointed out earlier in the thread - not "naysayers", just loyal customers that hold the place dear to our hearts. Big difference.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

andygolfer

Post by andygolfer »

I still enjoyed the show as a spectacle. Yes it was a bit limited in the lines and angles flown by some participants but I think we have to remember that Old Warden were the 2016 guinea pigs with all the new rules and a full house so maybe they were being extra careful to comply with a bit of a cushion rather than risk inadvertently overstepping (or rather overflying) the mark and incurring the wrath of the CAA.

The photography - which seems to be to focus (intended pun) of much attention was more of a challenge and was much more of a case of picking your moments, my exif data on my pics shows that I was around or above 300mm most of the time and sometimes on my max 400mm with a bit of cropping required but I prefer to crop afterwards anyway as I am rubbish at panning and end up missing a tail or nose off. I still got some that I was happy with though.

I really must see if I can find my old pics from 40 or 50 years ago, then you would see how much it has changed over the years!

Andy
andygolfer

winner of Air-Britain photo competition 2019

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

I can easily imagine how a first timer , with great weather and the Reds would enjoy OW, but its human nature to compare the present with the past.
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Just thinking about it - if we're so in danger from a fence line that might get you 15 metres closer to the action that it needs to be straightened out, why are the Reds still permitted to overfly the crowd for their arrival?

What a bizarre formation it is too - commentary boasting about it being 900 feet across like that's a good thing? My first impression was that they weren't in formation.

andygolfer

Post by andygolfer »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:Just thinking about it - if we're so in danger from a fence line that might get you 15 metres closer to the action that it needs to be straightened out, why are the Reds still permitted to overfly the crowd for their arrival?

What a bizarre formation it is too - commentary boasting about it being 900 feet across like that's a good thing? My first impression was that they weren't in formation.

maybe they class it as part of their transit flight to get around it , and maybe at a higher level to overcome the rules?

no wonder I couldn't get them all in the frame! perhaps they are not in formation so it can't be called a display :smile:
andygolfer

winner of Air-Britain photo competition 2019

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:Just thinking about it - if we're so in danger from a fence line that might get you 15 metres closer to the action that it needs to be straightened out, why are the Reds still permitted to overfly the crowd for their arrival?

Same size as a Vulcan! :whistle:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

helired3

Post by helired3 »

this may help explain the road and Rights of Way, closures

http://www.bedsparishes.gov.uk/northill ... ticeboard/
Ian Harris https://www.flickr.com/photos/ian_harrisuk/

Nikon D750
Nikon D500
Nikon 500mm pf
Nikon 300mm pf

PirateTrickster

Post by PirateTrickster »

I maybe misremembering or misquoting, although I have it in my head that they are the only act permitted to do so. Although I don't have a good answer for why they are allowed to do that.

As for the formation - I just managed to fit them all in at 75mm.

AFC

Post by AFC »

Maybe some new silly rules to make it safer, I mean the further away they are from each other, the less likely they are to crash into each other over the crowd, right?

Also there was that constant cross wind (if I remember correctly it was blowing towards the crowd?) maybe that could have had an effect on how far away all the acts flew? Maybe they were being overly cautious so that the wind didn't blow them closer than the minimum distance away from the crowd?

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

helired3 wrote:this may help explain the road and Rights of Way, closures

http://www.bedsparishes.gov.uk/northill ... ticeboard/

If I was organising an airshow now, I'd probably not bother booking the Red Arrows.

"Exceptional circumstances" being a display unchanged, and safe, for at least 30 years. Wonder if other national teams visiting the UK would make such OTT demands for road closures?

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

If that's what is required now for a Red Arrows display, I wish them the very best of luck at Farnborough, Biggin Hill etc.

Ian G
UKAR Staff

Post by Ian G »

I meant to ask earlier but forgot, I noticed the P40 was smoking quite a lot when it parked up in front of the fence and I did see a pic here which showed a lot of fluid on the starboard side, can anyone elaborate as to what this was?
Garf's website and Flickr Photostream

"Which road can I close for you today?"

#tapestries

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Ian G wrote:I meant to ask earlier but forgot, I noticed the P40 was smoking quite a lot when it parked up in front of the fence and I did see a pic here which showed a lot of fluid on the starboard side, can anyone elaborate as to what this was?

Coolant I think. Someone told me they'd overheard the owner saying it had been overfilled before departure.

Took them a while to get it all cleaned up.

King Cobra

Post by King Cobra »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:
Ian G wrote:I meant to ask earlier but forgot, I noticed the P40 was smoking quite a lot when it parked up in front of the fence and I did see a pic here which showed a lot of fluid on the starboard side, can anyone elaborate as to what this was?

Coolant I think. Someone told me they'd overheard the owner saying it had been overfilled before departure.

Took them a while to get it all cleaned up.

At departure time the engine started and then stopped. Some fiddling around "under the hood" and then everything seemed to be OK and off it went.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

That was planned. He said to those standing behind it that he was going to run the engine for a minute and that it would get windy - presumably just a check before departure.

King Cobra

Post by King Cobra »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:That was planned. He said to those standing behind it that he was going to run the engine for a minute and that it would get windy - presumably just a check before departure.

Yes, it was a tad breezy when he ran up the engine. :)

Ian G
UKAR Staff

Post by Ian G »

Thanks Dan for clearing that one up. Well, not literally. . .
Garf's website and Flickr Photostream

"Which road can I close for you today?"

#tapestries

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:If that's what is required now for a Red Arrows display, I wish them the very best of luck at Farnborough, Biggin Hill etc.

Was it specifically for the RAFAT display , though , or would the same requirements have been in force if they'd had other aircraft which matched the same criteria ( jets & display speed ) ?
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

melcragg

Post by melcragg »

Good afternoon all. I joined today and this is my first post.

I enjoyed the display at Shuttleworth last October..... not just because the Vulcan was there but you could actually see the pilots and get up close.

This Sunday was very disappointing..... Watching distant aircraft. I think it would have been more exciting watching on the TV.

This exclusion zone if applied to RIAT would close the campsite I stay on. What are they going to do with local residents - evacuate them to a safe distance?

Eventually we will be confined to our houses wrapped in bubble wrap and dieing prematurely of boredom.

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

melcragg wrote:Good afternoon all. I joined today and this is my first post.

I enjoyed the display at Shuttleworth last October..... not just because the Vulcan was there but you could actually see the pilots and get up close.

This Sunday was very disappointing..... Watching distant aircraft. I think it would have been more exciting watching on the TV.

This exclusion zone if applied to RIAT would close the campsite I stay on. What are they going to do with local residents - evacuate them to a safe distance?

Eventually we will be confined to our houses wrapped in bubble wrap and dieing prematurely of boredom.

A number of people told me on Sunday that evacuating homes in a certain radius was originally proposed by the Reds, only for them to finally concede to the more practical, but still unnecessary, road closures.

In the current mental climate, NOTHING would surprise me.

Thoughtful_Flyer

Post by Thoughtful_Flyer »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:If that's what is required now for a Red Arrows display, I wish them the very best of luck at Farnborough, Biggin Hill etc.

Indeed.

How then can the Red Arrows and the P de F display at Duxford without closing the M11? Or is it because the traffic will be moving, it is an offence to stop except in an emergency and there is no footpath it is OK?

paullangford

Post by paullangford »

Hi Dan,

Hasn't it already been talked about closing some roads for Farnborough anyway, didn't Farnborough issue some press release on that subject ?

stonojnr

Post by stonojnr »

PirateTrickster wrote:

I maybe misremembering or misquoting, although I have it in my head that they are the only act permitted to do so. Although I don't have a good answer for why they are allowed to do that.

the Blades have done it in the pass, though they are ex Red Arrows pilots, and class themselves as an airline as well, so maybe there were some loopholes being exploited, but on the whole Id agree I think the Reds were the only ones who were potentially permitted to do it regularly/as part of the display

FTS

Post by FTS »

stonojnr wrote:
PirateTrickster wrote:

the Blades have done it in the pass, though they are ex Red Arrows pilots, and class themselves as an airline as well, so maybe there were some loopholes being exploited, but on the whole Id agree I think the Reds were the only ones who were potentially permitted to do it regularly/as part of the display

+ BBMF
facebook.com/shgpmedia
instagram.com/shgphotography86/
Youtube - SHGP Media

paullangford

Post by paullangford »

FTS wrote:
stonojnr wrote:
PirateTrickster wrote:

+ BBMF

Isn't it about them 'not manouvering' as to why they can do it ?