Fly Navy Day - 5th June 2016

Re: Fly Navy Day - 5th June 2016

Postby AlexC on Mon 06 Jun 2016, 6:02 pm

Airwolfhound wrote:Yep, I did, got some great topside shots of it as well :grin:

At one stage there were about 5 flying around, saw a couple of them having a mid-air tussle.

I'm jealous, I only got an underside shot! :sad: I did notice several together, but the one that I got was a singleton. Must admit that I didn't know that red kites had got as far as Bedfordshire already.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP
AlexC

Postby Wissam24 on Mon 06 Jun 2016, 6:08 pm

For those non-twitchers about us, what's so special about a red kite?
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016
Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Postby boff180 on Mon 06 Jun 2016, 6:21 pm

Wissam24 wrote:For those non-twitchers about us, what's so special about a red kite?

About a Decade ago they were all but extinct in England, only holding on in Wales and a small pocket in Scotland.

A group were released in the Chilterns and they've thrived and the population is steadily moving northwards.

They're a massive success story for bringing a species back from the brink in the UK... They're big and beautiful too!

I can confirm there are a couple of pairs in Warwickshire, seen with my own eyes between Solihull and Coventry
boff180
UKAR Staff

Postby Wissam24 on Mon 06 Jun 2016, 6:52 pm

That's awesome!
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016
Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Postby Roughcutter on Mon 06 Jun 2016, 7:30 pm

Saw a Red Kite flying around at Abingdon last month
Roughcutter

Postby AlexC on Mon 06 Jun 2016, 8:27 pm

Wissam24 wrote:That's awesome!

And they are beautiful with it! Oh, just noticed that Boff's already said that. :oops:
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP
AlexC

Postby UKAirshowTour on Mon 06 Jun 2016, 9:15 pm

I forgot to ask but did the demon ground loop on landing? i was over by the harvard and looked over as it was seemingly stopping rather abruptly
UKAirshowTour

Postby WG655 on Mon 06 Jun 2016, 9:20 pm

I thought I saw similar from further down the crowdline - didn't look to be a particularly severe one, and importantly pilot & machine were perfectly safe throughout.
WG655
UKAR Staff

Postby rob68 on Mon 06 Jun 2016, 11:16 pm

Anyone notice on the port lower wing of the wildcat something that maybe part of the wing fold mechanism does not look closed properly when compared to starboard?
rob68

Postby Airwolfhound on Tue 07 Jun 2016, 11:45 am

Wissam24 wrote:For those non-twitchers about us, what's so special about a red kite?

With apologies for thread drift, here you go Sam :-

ImageRed Kite - Gigrin Farm by Tim Felce, on Flickr

ImageRed Kite - Suffolk Owl Sanctuary by Tim Felce, on Flickr

ImageRed Kites - Gigrin Farm by Tim Felce, on Flickr
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24874528@N04/

Agile, mobile and hostile ;-)
Airwolfhound

Postby AlexC on Tue 07 Jun 2016, 1:48 pm

As we said, beautiful birds! And not much of a thread drift, after all they were over the airfield!
AlexC

Postby capercaillie on Tue 07 Jun 2016, 2:23 pm

One thing I noticed in the programme and I remember them mentioning it during commentary at Culdrose last year, is their claim that the Sea Vixen is the fastest privately owned jet in Europe. Now I love the Sea Vixen to bits, probably my favourite jet warbird we've had flying in the UK, but when there is a Viggen, a Draken and a Mirage III in private hands, their claim is a little extravagant. :dunno: :grin:

Thankfully not as many kites in the air as at Gigrin over OW otherwise we would have to stop the display. Alex, they are fairly widespread now, the Chilterns re-introduction scheme boomed big time and the Welsh population has also benefitted from numerous feeding stations, they are common here in Herefordshire and Shropshire and that overspill is meeting with the Chilterns birds from the east. They've also had several reintroductions in the north of England, Dumfries and the Highlands on the Black Isle. :smile:
"The surrogate voice of st24"
capercaillie

Postby AlexC on Wed 08 Jun 2016, 9:57 am

Thanks for that. As I've said before elsewhere, I live very near to the New Forest, and haven't seen any here yet, but it can only (hopefully!) be a matter of time!
AlexC

Postby FarnboroJohn on Wed 08 Jun 2016, 5:15 pm

AlexC wrote:Thanks for that. As I've said before elsewhere, I live very near to the New Forest, and haven't seen any here yet, but it can only (hopefully!) be a matter of time!

I had two (different wing moult = different individuals) over Acres Down on 29/5 along with 4 separate Goshawks, any number of Common Buzzards, a Honey Buzzard wing-clapping and a couple of Hobbies. I've been seeing them there for several years. You could do worse than try there on a fine morning.

Its not a bad site for passing GA aircraft as well, as they squeeze between Bournemouth and Southampton control zones.

John
FarnboroJohn

Postby C24 on Wed 08 Jun 2016, 8:57 pm

Fineshade is a good place to see Red Kites, see

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/northampton ... 342767.stm

If you are driving on the A1, Stamford most days between 1100 & 1400hrs pull off at the Empingham Road exit and park looking towards the town
There will be at least one and quite often two very low (on Saturday one came over at rooftop height). They generally stay around for fifteen minutes, quite often returning within twenty minutes or so.
From memory some were released about fifteen years ago. Now a very common and pleasant sight around the area.
C24.

"There is no go round in a glider".

http://www.flickr.com/photos/charlie-two-four/
C24

Postby boff180 on Thu 09 Jun 2016, 1:17 am

Back to aircraft lol

I hadn't realised how far some aircraft were.

Just been processing my photos and I have a full frame shot of the Sopwith Scout that hasn't needed a crop, it's virtually a dirty side on of a straight and level fly past.

Was completely flabbergasted to see Lightroom say I took that shot at 600mm... It's an APS-C so in reality that's a 900mm shot!

Far Out Man! :hypno:
boff180
UKAR Staff

Postby LN Strike Eagle on Thu 09 Jun 2016, 1:39 am

This is what I said when I got home from the show - it was better than the season opener, clearly, but it was still so far away from a 'proper' OW show. Can you imagine how good it would have been with last year's flying rules?

I stayed behind to speak to the pilot after his chat too as I wanted to ask about regs and exemptions without putting him on the spot in front of the crowd. I didn't take much encouragement from what he said on the subject of exemptions.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"
LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Postby CJS on Thu 09 Jun 2016, 6:12 am

capercaillie wrote:One thing I noticed in the programme and I remember them mentioning it during commentary at Culdrose last year, is their claim that the Sea Vixen is the fastest privately owned jet in Europe. Now I love the Sea Vixen to bits, probably my favourite jet warbird we've had flying in the UK, but when there is a Viggen, a Draken and a Mirage III in private hands, their claim is a little extravagant. :dunno: :grin:

Thankfully not as many kites in the air as at Gigrin over OW otherwise we would have to stop the display. Alex, they are fairly widespread now, the Chilterns re-introduction scheme boomed big time and the Welsh population has also benefitted from numerous feeding stations, they are common here in Herefordshire and Shropshire and that overspill is meeting with the Chilterns birds from the east. They've also had several reintroductions in the north of England, Dumfries and the Highlands on the Black Isle. :smile:

According to the "interweb" (stupid idea, never catch on) the Hunter has a top speed of 715 mph vs 690mph for the Sea Vixen. So yes, a rather odd claim to make!!
"Forewarned is forearmed"
CJS

Postby Wissam24 on Thu 09 Jun 2016, 7:59 am

I believe the Gnat team make the same claim.
Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Postby capercaillie on Thu 09 Jun 2016, 8:18 am

Wissam24 wrote:I believe the Gnat team make the same claim.

Well that's even sillier :grin: . I should have quantified their claim with flying, as there are Lightnings and F-104s in private hands that aren't flying at present, which are faster than what I've already mentioned :dizzy:
"The surrogate voice of st24"
capercaillie

Postby Wissam24 on Thu 09 Jun 2016, 10:17 am

capercaillie wrote:
Wissam24 wrote:I believe the Gnat team make the same claim.

Well that's even sillier :grin: . I should have quantified their claim with flying, as there are Lightnings and F-104s in private hands that aren't flying at present, which are faster than what I've already mentioned :dizzy:

Very soon to be a flying F-104, however.
Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Postby UK Airshow Review on Sat 02 Jul 2016, 5:20 pm

"Naval Gazing" - Joe Malkin reports on an event that had 'show of the season' potential.

Image Image Image Image Image
UK Airshow Review
UKAR Staff

Previous

Return to Old Warden Air Displays