Fly Navy Day - 5th June 2016

Discussion forum for all things Shuttleworth
boff180
UKAR Staff

Re: Fly Navy Day - 5th June 2016

Post by boff180 »

Wissam24 wrote:For those non-twitchers about us, what's so special about a red kite?

About a Decade ago they were all but extinct in England, only holding on in Wales and a small pocket in Scotland.

A group were released in the Chilterns and they've thrived and the population is steadily moving northwards.

They're a massive success story for bringing a species back from the brink in the UK... They're big and beautiful too!

I can confirm there are a couple of pairs in Warwickshire, seen with my own eyes between Solihull and Coventry

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

That's awesome!
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

Roughcutter

Post by Roughcutter »

Saw a Red Kite flying around at Abingdon last month

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

Wissam24 wrote:That's awesome!

And they are beautiful with it! Oh, just noticed that Boff's already said that. :oops:
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

UKAirshowTour

Post by UKAirshowTour »

I forgot to ask but did the demon ground loop on landing? i was over by the harvard and looked over as it was seemingly stopping rather abruptly

WG655
UKAR Staff

Post by WG655 »

I thought I saw similar from further down the crowdline - didn't look to be a particularly severe one, and importantly pilot & machine were perfectly safe throughout.

rob68

Post by rob68 »

Anyone notice on the port lower wing of the wildcat something that maybe part of the wing fold mechanism does not look closed properly when compared to starboard?

Airwolfhound

Post by Airwolfhound »

Wissam24 wrote:For those non-twitchers about us, what's so special about a red kite?

With apologies for thread drift, here you go Sam :-

ImageRed Kite - Gigrin Farm by Tim Felce, on Flickr

ImageRed Kite - Suffolk Owl Sanctuary by Tim Felce, on Flickr

ImageRed Kites - Gigrin Farm by Tim Felce, on Flickr
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24874528@N04/

Agile, mobile and hostile ;-)

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

As we said, beautiful birds! And not much of a thread drift, after all they were over the airfield!
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

One thing I noticed in the programme and I remember them mentioning it during commentary at Culdrose last year, is their claim that the Sea Vixen is the fastest privately owned jet in Europe. Now I love the Sea Vixen to bits, probably my favourite jet warbird we've had flying in the UK, but when there is a Viggen, a Draken and a Mirage III in private hands, their claim is a little extravagant. :dunno: :grin:

Thankfully not as many kites in the air as at Gigrin over OW otherwise we would have to stop the display. Alex, they are fairly widespread now, the Chilterns re-introduction scheme boomed big time and the Welsh population has also benefitted from numerous feeding stations, they are common here in Herefordshire and Shropshire and that overspill is meeting with the Chilterns birds from the east. They've also had several reintroductions in the north of England, Dumfries and the Highlands on the Black Isle. :smile:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

Thanks for that. As I've said before elsewhere, I live very near to the New Forest, and haven't seen any here yet, but it can only (hopefully!) be a matter of time!

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

AlexC wrote:Thanks for that. As I've said before elsewhere, I live very near to the New Forest, and haven't seen any here yet, but it can only (hopefully!) be a matter of time!

I had two (different wing moult = different individuals) over Acres Down on 29/5 along with 4 separate Goshawks, any number of Common Buzzards, a Honey Buzzard wing-clapping and a couple of Hobbies. I've been seeing them there for several years. You could do worse than try there on a fine morning.

Its not a bad site for passing GA aircraft as well, as they squeeze between Bournemouth and Southampton control zones.

John

C24

Post by C24 »

Fineshade is a good place to see Red Kites, see

http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/northampton ... 342767.stm

If you are driving on the A1, Stamford most days between 1100 & 1400hrs pull off at the Empingham Road exit and park looking towards the town
There will be at least one and quite often two very low (on Saturday one came over at rooftop height). They generally stay around for fifteen minutes, quite often returning within twenty minutes or so.
From memory some were released about fifteen years ago. Now a very common and pleasant sight around the area.
C24.

"There is no go round in a glider".

http://www.flickr.com/photos/charlie-two-four/

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Back to aircraft lol

I hadn't realised how far some aircraft were.

Just been processing my photos and I have a full frame shot of the Sopwith Scout that hasn't needed a crop, it's virtually a dirty side on of a straight and level fly past.

Was completely flabbergasted to see Lightroom say I took that shot at 600mm... It's an APS-C so in reality that's a 900mm shot!

Far Out Man! :hypno:

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

This is what I said when I got home from the show - it was better than the season opener, clearly, but it was still so far away from a 'proper' OW show. Can you imagine how good it would have been with last year's flying rules?

I stayed behind to speak to the pilot after his chat too as I wanted to ask about regs and exemptions without putting him on the spot in front of the crowd. I didn't take much encouragement from what he said on the subject of exemptions.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

CJS

Post by CJS »

capercaillie wrote:One thing I noticed in the programme and I remember them mentioning it during commentary at Culdrose last year, is their claim that the Sea Vixen is the fastest privately owned jet in Europe. Now I love the Sea Vixen to bits, probably my favourite jet warbird we've had flying in the UK, but when there is a Viggen, a Draken and a Mirage III in private hands, their claim is a little extravagant. :dunno: :grin:

Thankfully not as many kites in the air as at Gigrin over OW otherwise we would have to stop the display. Alex, they are fairly widespread now, the Chilterns re-introduction scheme boomed big time and the Welsh population has also benefitted from numerous feeding stations, they are common here in Herefordshire and Shropshire and that overspill is meeting with the Chilterns birds from the east. They've also had several reintroductions in the north of England, Dumfries and the Highlands on the Black Isle. :smile:

According to the "interweb" (stupid idea, never catch on) the Hunter has a top speed of 715 mph vs 690mph for the Sea Vixen. So yes, a rather odd claim to make!!
You can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

I believe the Gnat team make the same claim.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Wissam24 wrote:I believe the Gnat team make the same claim.

Well that's even sillier :grin: . I should have quantified their claim with flying, as there are Lightnings and F-104s in private hands that aren't flying at present, which are faster than what I've already mentioned :dizzy:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

capercaillie wrote:
Wissam24 wrote:I believe the Gnat team make the same claim.

Well that's even sillier :grin: . I should have quantified their claim with flying, as there are Lightnings and F-104s in private hands that aren't flying at present, which are faster than what I've already mentioned :dizzy:

Very soon to be a flying F-104, however.

UK Airshow Review
UKAR Staff

Post by UK Airshow Review »

"Naval Gazing" - Joe Malkin reports on an event that had 'show of the season' potential.

Image Image Image Image Image