Military Pageant 3/7

Discussion forum for all things Shuttleworth
vintage ATCO

Re: Military Pageant 3/7

Post by vintage ATCO »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:Anyone know if the Spits, Buchon, Mustang, and Yak are landing on?

That's the plan except the Yak
Last edited by vintage ATCO on Sat 02 Jul 2016, 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vA
stevelevien.com

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Thanks. If only you'd posted 20 minutes earlier I could have got discounted tickets! :grin:

Will make a decision in the morning now.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Tbolt

Post by Tbolt »

vintage ATCO wrote:
LN Strike Eagle wrote:Anyone know if the Spits, Buchon, Mustang, and Yak are landing on?

That's the plan except the Yak

Shame, the Yak-3 is the one I really want to see on on the ground!

st24

Post by st24 »

AFC wrote:
Any tips for using a 600mm lens?

Cheers,
James

Point the bigger end at the aeroplane

LN Strike Eagle wrote:
Will make a decision in the morning now.

Same, wx is changeable..
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

County1884

Post by County1884 »

Great show today at Old Warden, Lovely weather.
The flying varies so much from act to act though.
Bbmf Hurricane display was excellent as good as you see from them this season
Sally B "EPIC" at Old Warden
Duxford Spits were fantastic
Peter Teichman high and distant (love the new colour scheme though Peter) as I though was the YAK3

Not the Old Old Warden but as with fly navy so much of an improvement on the season opener.

Be interesting to see what the at legends is like next week. I pray it's an improvement on Duxfords season opener.
PS If it's not what about moving legends to OW :yahoo:

AFC

Post by AFC »

County1884 wrote:Great show today at Old Warden, Lovely weather.
Peter Teichman high and distant (love the new colour scheme though Peter) as I though was the YAK3

Not the Old Old Warden but as with fly navy so much of an improvement on the season opener.

Be interesting to see what the at legends is like next week. I pray it's an improvement on Duxfords season opener.

I don't think we saw the same thing.....
BBMF hurricane was useless, it might as well have not bothered turning up. All underside passes and all distant. Even by their standards the display was shockingly poor.
Teichman did some lovely passes, and the yak 3, well that wasn't exactly a good display, but it was still much better than the BBMF display.
Spitfires were awesome, as was Sally B

Tbolt

Post by Tbolt »

County1884 wrote:Great show today at Old Warden, Lovely weather.

BBMF was about what I expected - nothing really tailored for the venue, so the usual average and not that exciting a display, agree Sally B and the Spits were really great. Peter Teichman wasn't too bad though he could have bought it a bit closer, but Steve Jones in the Buchon was another top display and he really needs to speak to the pilot of the Yak-3 about how to display at Old Warden as I was quite disappointed with his display. Several times it looked like he was coming around for a great pass and then he would pull the aircraft tight around and head further away from the crowd.
Last edited by Tbolt on Mon 04 Jul 2016, 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

GertrudetheMerciless

Post by GertrudetheMerciless »

I wonder how good the above posters' Yak-3 displays are... Or their Yak-3s... just sayin'! Small, fairly rarely spotted aeroplane, different venue. I do like it though.

As for the BBMF, well, they have a different remit (and for most of their pilots, experience levels of display flying) to civilian owned display aircraft and their displays are "boring*" for a reason.

Lovely to see the B-17 back at OW. The Spits were excellent IMHO (in their various combinations), the Buchon's nose stood out very well in its energetic display by Steve Jones.

Overall a good little show. This one seemed much better without the number of formations that appeared in June. :smile:

AFC

Post by AFC »

Tbolt wrote:
BBMF was about what I expected - nothing really tailored for the venue, so the usual average and not that exciting a display.

BBMF spitfire and hurricane both made much better passes at the fly navy show last month, but they were only flypasts (does that really make a difference?), either way I would have much preferred to see it do its 'flypast' rather than actual display. No one around me even bothered taking photos of the BBMF hurricane, didn't hear a single camera throughout its whole display. Compare that to any other warbird that displayed where you could hear the camera shutters continuously. A really poor performance by the BBMF, extremely disappointed by them (yet again :wall: ). They need to be trained by the buchon and spitfire pilots, or even the yak pilot (at least he kind of knew how to show the crowd a bit of topside :whistle: )

Edit: Well done to Shuttleworth for organising yet another fantastic show :clap: three brilliant shows out of three so far, and the rest look like they could follow suit. They've been lucky with the weather so far, lets hope that luck continues, they deserve it with all the effort they're putting into their shows this year :worship:

Also nice to see the triplane fully back together, how long till it flies again?

Tbolt

Post by Tbolt »

GertrudetheMerciless wrote:I wonder how good the above posters' Yak-3 displays are... Or their Yak-3s... just sayin'! Small, fairly rarely spotted aeroplane, different venue. I do like it though.

As for the BBMF, well, they have a different remit (and for most of their pilots, experience levels of display flying) to civilian owned display aircraft and their displays are "boring*" for a reason.

Lovely to see the B-17 back at OW. The Spits were excellent IMHO (in their various combinations), the Buchon's nose stood out very well in its energetic display by Steve Jones.

Overall a good little show. This one seemed much better without the number of formations that appeared in June. :smile:

Is that the "you don't have one so you don't have an opinion" argument?

The point is that when you get an aircraft at Old Warden that you haven't seen there before it become a little disappointing when they don't use the potential of the venue, which has become more important now everything is further away.

romeo bravo

Post by romeo bravo »

AFC wrote:A really poor performance by the BBMF, extremely disappointed by them (yet again :wall: ). They need to be trained by the buchon and spitfire pilots, or even the yak pilot

You will probably find here are limitations placed on the BBMF fleet as they are still deemed to be military a/c and flown by military pilots.

Overall a good show. My only gripe was the couple of chaps who kept banging on about lighting conditions or the clouds were in the wrong place. You want to be glad it wasn't cloudy or raining; get a life. Oh, and one was complaining when the Spit Mk V was delayed, "I'm going to ask for my money back" :wall: and then complained at the end of the display when the aforementioned Mk V, which did arrive and land, didn't do a departing fly through. :dizzy:

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

The HAC Mk.V had problems, with the tail wheel I think it was, which delayed its departure so they should be grateful that it actually landed at Old Warden.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

Hatstand
UKAR Supporter

Post by Hatstand »

County1884 wrote:Sally B "EPIC" at Old Warden

^ THIS! ^

Great day out...
Goodbye 600D... Hello FZ150!

Tbolt

Post by Tbolt »

romeo bravo wrote:
AFC wrote:A really poor performance by the BBMF, extremely disappointed by them (yet again :wall: ). They need to be trained by the buchon and spitfire pilots, or even the yak pilot

You will probably find here are limitations placed on the BBMF fleet as they are still deemed to be military a/c and flown by military pilots.

Overall a good show. My only gripe was the couple of chaps who kept banging on about lighting conditions or the clouds were in the wrong place. You want to be glad it wasn't cloudy or raining; get a life. Oh, and one was complaining when the Spit Mk V was delayed, "I'm going to ask for my money back" :wall: and then complained at the end of the display when the aforementioned Mk V, which did arrive and land, didn't do a departing fly through. :dizzy:

I would have to say "get a life" to you in a nice way :) By which I mean don't let what cr*p other people are saying around you effect enjoyment of the show, especially if you don't know some one and they might have a dry sense of humour when they say they are going to ask for their money back.

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

The sun does often hide behind a cloud at most inappropriate time, but that's just life of course.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

UKAirshowTour

Post by UKAirshowTour »

This show was Epic!

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

How I wish I'd gone now goddamnit! Thought that the weather looked a bit iffy, and Old Warden is quite a way from here between the sea and the New Forest. :sad:
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

Orion

Post by Orion »

I enjoyed it although my back didn't. Very sore afterwards.

I got over an hour's worth of film which has edited down nicely and the Old Warden cloudscapes were stupendous.

Excellent flying by all but for me the best part of the show was the WD traction engine with the field gun and limber. Never thought I'd ever see anything like that.

Regards