Military Pageant 3/7

Discussion forum for all things Shuttleworth
Chris G

Re: Military Pageant 3/7

Post by Chris G »

There will be more added, they left it very late for the season opener too!

john001

Post by john001 »

Ok! I'll keep the option open for a bit longer!!

svas_volunteer

Post by svas_volunteer »

I'm slightly confused by people saying they are unsure whether it is worth going? Surely 3 spitfires, a Hurricane, a buchon, a yak 3, a mustang and a B17 plus the collection aircraft sounds like a pretty good display to me, plus there are visiting WW1 traction engines and vehicles and other vintage military vehicles, I sometimes wonder if people have been spoiled for so long they forget how lucky they are to see all this?

Steve
These are my individual views and not to be taken as official posts from The Shuttleworth Trust or The SVAS

john001

Post by john001 »

Its not a matter of lucky or spoiled Steve - for me its a matter of can I afford it. I was at the close up show last year so have seen the collection recently. That does not mean I never want to see it again but it is over 100 pounds for me to attend the event ( I accept it is less for others). So is what you mention below, excellent items as they are, actually worth it for me? Without a bit more than is being shown on the website now - it's no.

HuwJHopkins

Post by HuwJHopkins »

Steve, it's a growing trend for enthusiasts to never be happy, sadly.

I can't recall a Shuttleworth show in recent times having 7 warbird fighters at a show, possibly 9 if the two based Hurricanes are added. I'm sure that in the coming week more aircraft will be added to the based aircraft list, as there normally is. There were days when we knew nothing of what would be flying at a Shuttleworth show beforehand, but the team are now being very proactive in publicising the visiting participants well in advance, which tend to set the flavour or theme of a show and entice people along, with the based list being updated closer to the time when the collection know what is serviceable etc.

Shuttleworth really are knocking it out of the park this year with their line-ups. The Fly Navy show was the stuff of pie in the sky dreams and the Military Pageant is looking like a veritable warbird feast, then later in the year we have the WW1 gathering at the Edwardian Pageant and a Race Day part deux!

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

HuwJHopkins wrote: I can't recall a Shuttleworth show in recent times having 7 warbird fighters at a show

June 5th 2016
BBMF Hurricane and Spitfire, Sea Hurricane, Seafire, Wildcat, Corsair, Bearcat = 7. My memory isn't what it used to be, but I didn't have to think too far back. :grin:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

HuwJHopkins

Post by HuwJHopkins »

You got me there! I'm thinking prior to 2016 though.

svas_volunteer

Post by svas_volunteer »

john001 wrote:Its not a matter of lucky or spoiled Steve - for me its a matter of can I afford it. I was at the close up show last year so have seen the collection recently. That does not mean I never want to see it again but it is over 100 pounds for me to attend the event ( I accept it is less for others). So is what you mention below, excellent items as they are, actually worth it for me? Without a bit more than is being shown on the website now - it's no.

I'm sorry John I don't mean to offend you I'm trying to figure out what extra information would help to sway your decision? Would more information about which Collection aircraft would be on display help? What is it that makes people attend the airshows is it mainly the visiting types, the based aircraft, the ground activities and displays?

Cheers

Steve
These are my individual views and not to be taken as official posts from The Shuttleworth Trust or The SVAS

pb643

Post by pb643 »

Was there ever an explanation given for the change of plan away from the 6 Hurricanes?

svas_volunteer

Post by svas_volunteer »

pb643 wrote:Was there ever an explanation given for the change of plan away from the 6 Hurricanes?

I think it's just down to serviceablity of the aircraft unfortunately.

Steve

HuwJHopkins

Post by HuwJHopkins »

Something like that. I wonder if one was planned to be P3717 which is nearing flight at Turweston but encountered some hurdles and thus hasn't flown yet.

Shuttleworth have said they will be doing the gathering next year instead, which is great news.

john001

Post by john001 »

Steve - no offence taken.

I see now there is a note of more to be announced... that gives an indication but is not really enough.

IMHo there are two types of people - those that know what a great atmosphere it is there and those that don't. It would be good to try to get this more into your selling of any event.

I am always happy to have more information so a reminder of the aircraft based there is good.

For me I would like to see which based aircraft are planned to fly. Now I know some may be unserviceable closer the the event but I can at least see what you are aiming for. A big note explaining or even updating serviceability would not hurt. If you look right now just over a week before the event it does not look like there is that much flying. People will make a decision on if they are coming and it may well be no. Some may have to arrange holiday or shifts and they may not do that on the strength of hoping for late announcements. You are also more likely to sell advance tickets if you give a better idea of what is going on.

Announcing things too early (i.e. the Hurricanes) can of course lead to disappointment but leaving things this late means IMHO less people likely to attend especially if an event appears not to be as good as the previous event (i.e. the RN day)

svas_volunteer

Post by svas_volunteer »

john001 wrote:Steve - no offence taken.

I see now there is a note of more to be announced... that gives an indication but is not really enough.

IMHo there are two types of people - those that know what a great atmosphere it is there and those that don't. It would be good to try to get this more into your selling of any event.

I am always happy to have more information so a reminder of the aircraft based there is good.

For me I would like to see which based aircraft are planned to fly. Now I know some may be unserviceable closer the the event but I can at least see what you are aiming for. A big note explaining or even updating serviceability would not hurt. If you look right now just over a week before the event it does not look like there is that much flying. People will make a decision on if they are coming and it may well be no. Some may have to arrange holiday or shifts and they may not do that on the strength of hoping for late announcements. You are also more likely to sell advance tickets if you give a better idea of what is going on.

Announcing things too early (i.e. the Hurricanes) can of course lead to disappointment but leaving things this late means IMHO less people likely to attend especially if an event appears not to be as good as the previous event (i.e. the RN day)

Thanks John, I'm feeding this all back to the organisers, hence the note, hopefully more will be added soon but you have put together some good points and we'll try and make things clearer. I know this is mainly an airdisplay forum but does the ground based activities have any influence on whether you'd attend with or without family members?

Steve

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

svas_volunteer wrote:I'm sorry John I don't mean to offend you I'm trying to figure out what extra information would help to sway your decision? Would more information about which Collection aircraft would be on display help? What is it that makes people attend the airshows is it mainly the visiting types, the based aircraft, the ground activities and displays?

Cheers

Steve

As a Shuttleworth regular, for me it's the visiting types that are the draw. I'll be attending the Military Pageant this year (weather permitting) to see the Yak-3 and the P-51 in it's new scheme.

john001

Post by john001 »

svas_volunteer wrote:
john001 wrote:Steve - no offence taken.

Thanks John, I'm feeding this all back to the organisers, hence the note, hopefully more will be added soon but you have put together some good points and we'll try and make things clearer. I know this is mainly an airdisplay forum but does the ground based activities have any influence on whether you'd attend with or without family members?

Steve

Yes absolutely. Although some car clubs get together at some events ( I don't attend too often as I do not live anywhere near so forgive slight inaccuracies) perhaps more could be made of this. Perhaps a discount for anyone wishing to put their e.g. ' pre 1960' car in a special area where people could look at them with a bit more space than in the car park. The last time I was there the threshing machine was up and running - great. All of these things make me want to arrive earlier and make the day better value. Right now I am deciding whether to go to Flywheel at Bicester which really does not have too many aircraft but does have different cars. I am not suggesting that you have to arrange a lot of cars each time but yes invite a car club to meet at every show (maybe you do) or maximise what is is going to be there (whether you know in advance or not) by giving a discount to special car owners willing to show them on arrival or enrolling them in a car friends scheme, informal prize for most interesting car etc. Or one off exhibitions of any type of machinery, or 'stuff' for example vintage radio clubs. This may create a bit more interest for the regulars as well as involving other types of organisations in the whole 'atmosphere' which would benefit both Shutttleworth, its visitors and others.

pb643

Post by pb643 »

HuwJHopkins wrote:Something like that. I wonder if one was planned to be P3717 which is nearing flight at Turweston but encountered some hurdles and thus hasn't flown yet.

Shuttleworth have said they will be doing the gathering next year instead, which is great news.

Indeed it is, something to look forwards to.

Phil

john001

Post by john001 »

Ok Steve - do I take it that the list now up is that that is expected to fly... (just clarifying)

if so now it is nice and clear and your have another customer!

Nice to see the response - thanks

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

john001 wrote:Ok Steve - do I take it that the list now up is that that is expected to fly... (just clarifying)

if so now it is nice and clear and your have another customer!

Nice to see the response - thanks

There's always going to be around 20 items from the Collection (plus the Eds which you may or may not see), and then whatever is listed as visiting will be on top of those.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

svas_volunteer

Post by svas_volunteer »

Yes John the aim is to fly all of those aircraft, obviously weather and serviceability allowing, glad to help, for those who haven't seen the list have a look here

http://www.shuttleworth.org/events/militarypageant/

Cheers

Steve

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

I'm certainly planning on attending. However with Yeovilton the day before and RIAT the week after I think it may be a weather oriented last minute go/no go decision.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

Chris G

Post by Chris G »

I wonder what the chances are of the show ending with a 6 ship of Spitfires and Hurricanes, kind of like the Navy Day ended?

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

svas_volunteer wrote:Yes John the aim is to fly all of those aircraft, obviously weather and serviceability allowing, glad to help, for those who haven't seen the list have a look here

http://www.shuttleworth.org/events/militarypageant/

Cheers

Steve

That must be a quite recent update, as the last time I looked last week it was nothing like that. Looking outstanding now! :clap:
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

Chris G

Post by Chris G »

Not on the Shuttleworth website is a display by a BBMF Hurricane scheduled for 14:10 according to the BBMF July movements spreadsheet.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Anyone know if the Spits, Buchon, Mustang, and Yak are landing on?
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

AFC

Post by AFC »

Tomorrow is going to be my first proper test for my new lens / camera combo. I can't wait :yahoo: and then RIAT next weekend :rock:

Any tips for using a 600mm lens?

Hope everyone who goes tomorrow enjoys the show

Cheers,
James