Wings and Wheels - 4th Sept

Discussion forum for all things Shuttleworth
Bronco

Re: Wings and Wheels - 4th Sept

Post by Bronco »

The JP display team are meant to be providing a solo JP for the display according to their twitter account, flying with the Piston Provost

Canon

Post by Canon »

capercaillie wrote:
Canon wrote:Sea hurricane, and Little and large still on the list?
I would have thought both would be out of action this weekend :dunno:

We still might get Large, just not Little. :grin:

BBMF Dakota is fairly unlikely as well.

When is the BBMF Dakota ever likely to turn up.
In fact when is anything from the BBMF ever likely to turn up. :whistle:
Canon 80D
Canon 600D
Sigma 150-600mm C
Canon 70-300mm L
Sigma 18-300mm C

Canon

Post by Canon »

Bronco wrote:The JP display team are meant to be providing a solo JP for the display according to their twitter account, flying with the Piston Provost

The provosts are Percival, right? Maybe that's what they mean by Percival parade :dunno:
Canon 80D
Canon 600D
Sigma 150-600mm C
Canon 70-300mm L
Sigma 18-300mm C

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Canon wrote:BBMF Dakota is fairly unlikely as well

BBMF have been to every OW show I've been to in the last two to three years. :dunno: Don't see a problem, just the Dak is knackered at present.
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Canon

Post by Canon »

capercaillie wrote:
Canon wrote:BBMF Dakota is fairly unlikely as well

BBMF have been to every OW show I've been to in the last two to three years. :dunno: Don't see a problem, just the Dak is knackered at present.

Fly Navy show (no dakota)
Edwardian pageant (no hurricane)

You haven't been to many OW shows this year then :dunno:
Canon 80D
Canon 600D
Sigma 150-600mm C
Canon 70-300mm L
Sigma 18-300mm C

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

At the Fly Navy show they sent a Spitfire instead of the Dakota as well as the Hurricane, as I say, I can't see a problem? Do you want them to push the Dakota over?

They sent the Hurricane to the Military Pageant to replace the Lancaster. The wind limits were outside their permitted scope for the Edwardian Pageant, they have to follow procedures. Whatever you like to say about them, they have been good supporters of OW shows over the last few years and have offered alternatives when their own fleet has had serviceability issues.

Canon

Post by Canon »

capercaillie wrote:At the Fly Navy show they sent a Spitfire instead of the Dakota as well as the Hurricane, as I say, I can't see a problem? Do you want them to push the Dakota over?

They sent the Hurricane to the Military Pageant to replace the Lancaster. The wind limits were outside their permitted scope for the Edwardian Pageant, they have to follow procedures. Whatever you like to say about them, they have been good supporters of OW shows over the last few years and have offered alternatives when their own fleet has had serviceability issues.

My bad, I didn't realise that the spitfire at the Fly Navy show was a replacement for the dakota :surrender:
Canon 80D
Canon 600D
Sigma 150-600mm C
Canon 70-300mm L
Sigma 18-300mm C

Elliott Marsh

Post by Elliott Marsh »

Enjoyable show today. We've seen the Mew Gulls flying together before, but this only-in-the-UK pairing really owned the day. Magnificent stuff with low, close flying in abundance. BBMF Hurricane flew three sporting topsides that should keep people happy. In all a really nice show with good variety, quality flying and a solid four and a quarter hours of displays with very few gaps to speak of.

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

Was it a healthy sized crowd today?

Elliott Marsh

Post by Elliott Marsh »

It felt similar to the last Sunday show. I arrived fairly late and was parked in the overflow field. I doubt the poor weather early on helped - I delayed my departure until almost midday owing to early clag and rain in the south-east. I was leaning towards giving it a miss as of Friday (due to the forecast) but I'm glad I went.

Interestingly, there was an exodus immediately after Little & Large, then more in their droves after the Comet (despite there still being several displays left).

No sausage and duck egg rolls though, and the latte man ran out of ice. :sad:

Canon

Post by Canon »

aknott68 wrote:I was on the bus at 6 so left flight line just after comet as I say its just a shame the weather didnt play ball it was a really nice day. The hind didnt display is that out of service?

The hind was in a hanger with no engine, so I'd say thats a yes :grin:
Canon 80D
Canon 600D
Sigma 150-600mm C
Canon 70-300mm L
Sigma 18-300mm C

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Did the Camel fly?

I didn't go, three hours there for a poor forecast wasn't worth it for me. :sad:

I.Winfield

Post by I.Winfield »

capercaillie wrote:Did the Camel fly?

Unfortunately not, the S.E.5a and F2b were the only WW1 aircraft to fly. It was a shame about the winds being out of limits for the others.
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/i_winfield/
Twitter: @IWinfield1

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

I.Winfield wrote:

Unfortunately not, the S.E.5a and F2b were the only WW1 aircraft to fly. It was a shame about the winds being out of limits for the others.

OK, cheers. :up:

Elliott Marsh

Post by Elliott Marsh »

The Camel hasn't yet flown, likewise the Triplane after its repairs. Assuming they don't make Race Day, it's more to look forward to at OW next year along with (hopefully) the resident Dove. The Spitfire is progressing towards flight too.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Any idea when the Spitfire is likely to fly?
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

sdad

Post by sdad »

What on earth are "Little and Large"?

cuban8

Post by cuban8 »

sdad wrote:What on earth are "Little and Large"?

G-Force Aerobatics - Full size Extra 300 displaying with a 41% scale model of an Extra 300. Very novel and well received by the crowd. http://www.gforceaerobatics.com/
A good day yesterday, well done OW for putting on something for everyone, shame it was so chilly under the cloudy sky but at least it remained dry if a bit too windy for some machines.

BrawlerO

Post by BrawlerO »

Elliott Marsh wrote:Interestingly, there was an exodus immediately after Little & Large, then more in their droves after the Comet (despite there still being several displays left).

I was one of those that left after the Comet. Being a Sunday and having a long drive home being the main factors but I would have stayed until the bitter end if we had enjoyed some later afternoon sunshine. The Catalina probably got the best of the weather during the displays. This was my first visit to Old Warden but I am looking forward to next year. Really enjoyable day, just needed the weather to play ball a bit more.

sdad

Post by sdad »

Cuban, thanks - was it a different team that lost their "little" recently?

st24

Post by st24 »

sdad wrote:Cuban, thanks - was it a different team that lost their "little" recently?

That's confused me too- have we two or even more Little and Large teams?? :dizzy:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Canon

Post by Canon »

st24 wrote:
sdad wrote:Cuban, thanks - was it a different team that lost their "little" recently?

That's confused me too- have we two or even more Little and Large teams?? :dizzy:

It was the same team as at Little Gransden. I presume he has a spare model (maybe an old one).
The display seemed different (he didn't follow Chris like he usually does), maybe the model used didn't have all the cameras fitted like the one that crashed so he couldn't do the proper display? Or have they changed it due to CAA rules?
I remember the commentary team at Little Gransden saying he has a laptop with a live feed from all the cameras displaying on it. This time he didn't have the laptop. So it points more towards the theory of the model not having the cameras on and just being a spare/ old one (maybe even a practice one?)
Canon 80D
Canon 600D
Sigma 150-600mm C
Canon 70-300mm L
Sigma 18-300mm C

AMB

Post by AMB »

I left when the Anson was flying as I had had enough of the gloomy skies by then and frustrating watching huge expanses of blue skies open up to the north of Old Warden. Another 'wild goose chase' hoping to see the DH51 in the air, which remained hangar bound yet again!
Adrian

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

I.Winfield wrote:

Shame but I wasn't able to make it so this has made me a little less regretful.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

I.Winfield

Post by I.Winfield »

Wissam24 wrote:
I.Winfield wrote:

Shame but I wasn't able to make it so this has made me a little less regretful.

It was still a good day, but it would have been great to see them. Heres hoping they can fly in October, or else we will have to wait till next year.
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/i_winfield/
Twitter: @IWinfield1