Visiting:
GliderFX (Ian Gallagher)

Removed:
AeroSpark (G109 pair)

Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Re: Flying Proms - 20th August 2016

Post by Jakub.Zurek »

Sea Hurricane just went up for a practice display and landed quite hard making the tail wheel fall off. Everyone is okay though

Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Post by Jakub.Zurek »

Jakub.Zurek wrote:Sea Hurricane just went up for a practice display and landed quite hard making the tail wheel fall off. Everyone is okay though

Just if anyone is wondering and to add to my previous post, it wasn't anything serious, just a fairly hard landing that the tail wheel didn't like. Only damage to the aircraft is the tail wheel coming of on impact and any small damage caused by the friction of the tail on the ground during the landing.

No injuries or anything, very quick response by everyone on the ground. Aircraft and pilot both driven from the airfield to one of the hangars.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Jakub.Zurek wrote:
Jakub.Zurek wrote:Sea Hurricane just went up for a practice display and landed quite hard making the tail wheel fall off. Everyone is okay though

Just if anyone is wondering and to add to my previous post, it wasn't anything serious, just a fairly hard landing that the tail wheel didn't like. Only damage to the aircraft is the tail wheel coming of on impact and any small damage caused by the friction of the tail on the ground during the landing.

No injuries or anything, very quick response by everyone on the ground. Aircraft and pilot both driven from the airfield to one of the hangars.

Thank you for the update and the airframe report, pleased you were able to assist. :up:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Post by Jakub.Zurek »

capercaillie wrote:
Jakub.Zurek wrote:

Thank you for the update and the airframe report, pleased you were able to assist. :up:

Oops sorry if I didn't make it clear in my post! But the bit where I said there was a quick response by everyone on the ground I meant the fire crew and ground crew :smile:
They got to the aircraft in a matter of seconds, but like I said it wasn't anything serious luckily.

Summed up well by the collection on Facebook:

[fb-post]https://www.facebook.com/ShuttleworthCollection/posts/10154389237709780[/fb-post]

T_J

Post by T_J »

Sea Hurricane tail wheel incident. See landing from 7:00.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qcp-thGIkQo[/youtube]

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

Jeez, that really was a heavy landing.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

GertrudetheMerciless

Post by GertrudetheMerciless »

The Baron wrote:Jeez, that really was a heavy landing.

Ouch indeed.

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

A terrible landing. Lucky not to come down on the hedge from the looks of it. Do we know who the pilot was?

st24

Post by st24 »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:A terrible landing.

Which one?!?! Shockingly bad - a tad draughty by the looks. Obviously a Ryanair driver.. :joystick:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

I don't recall ever seeing such hurried approaches, almost as if there was a problem beforehand.

Clearly the machine gets caught in a down-draught over the road/hedge, but the approach looked all wrong from way before that.
Last edited by Harlequin67 on Mon 22 Aug 2016, 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited for accident speculation.

Elliott Marsh

Post by Elliott Marsh »

The pilot's flown that aircraft for many years and is vastly experienced. These things happen regardless of experience and skill. I remember Ray Hanna bouncing along in '434 at Duxford as a group of men stood nearby and speculated that it must be a new Spitfire pilot! I'd suggest that respecting the pilot's privacy (particularly given it was a practice display before the main event) is the most sensible approach here.

This looked like an enjoyable, if chilly, event from what I've seen. Stu Goldspink's MH434 solo, perfectly timed to Walton's Spitfire Prelude & Fugue, looked grand. Shame to have missed it but as much as I've enjoyed the last few, the idea of spending the night sat cold and potentially wet put me right off. Had conditions been nicer and the Dove's return been on the cards, I'd have been there in a flash! Hopefully next time for that and the Triplane...

alpha586

Post by alpha586 »

The wind was very strong with powerful gusts very difficult conditions the aircraft comes in on a seemingly normal glide path but as it neared the ground it just suddenly dropped like a stone guessing it got caught in a down draft?
Apart from the sad loss of the Sea hurricane from the main display (and probably the rest of the season) and the obvious withdrawals of the more delicate items, the spitfire was worth the entry fee alone! It was probably the best spit display I've seen in a very long time if not ever! The display was brilliant, aggressive yet graceful, very close and personal, the music just enhanced the beautiful sound of the merlin. All in all a great evenings entertainment Old Warden doing what it does best, there really is nowhere quite like it!
Lo que volará volará whatever will fly will fly!!