At Home with Shuttleworth Events

Discussion forum for all things Shuttleworth
UKAirshowTour

Re: At Home with Shuttleworth Events

Post by UKAirshowTour »

the bit that puts me off is the lack of any details of whats happening such as how many flights they intend to have and what goes on during the day but i think ill be sticking to the normal air show days as i have a ticket for the navy day and the pageant

Tim Spouge

Post by Tim Spouge »

If you are into photography, the At Home event yesterday was much more like the Old Warden of previous years than the Season Premier two weeks ago. A few visiting aircraft would be nice, but then it probably turns into a full air show with the attached road closures, display lines etc.

Tim Spouge

Post by Tim Spouge »

Is anyone planning on going to the At Home event tomorrow?

Does anyone know the state of the airfield or car park following the recent rain?

I.Winfield

Post by I.Winfield »

I'll be there, but have heard nothing about the state of the ground. Apparently the snipe will be there on static though. I missed the first at home event, so looking forward to seeing what these are like.
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/i_winfield/
Twitter: @IWinfield1

svas_volunteer

Post by svas_volunteer »

Airfield and carpark are fine, one.or two soft spots but no problems, see you all tomorrow

Steve
These are my individual views and not to be taken as official posts from The Shuttleworth Trust or The SVAS

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

I've been sent a video of today's Hurricane display - just like old times, sweeping pass down to 50 feet!

On the negative side, it looks like barely 100 people were there to see it. That won't make a dent in their expenses. High time the At Home experiment was binned, with old-style evening displays brought back.

AFC

Post by AFC »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:I've been sent a video of today's Hurricane display - just like old times, sweeping pass down to 50 feet!

On the negative side, it looks like barely 100 people were there to see it. That won't make a dent in their expenses. High time the At Home experiment was binned, with old-style evening displays brought back.

So I go out and buy a 600mm lens just to cope with the increased distances and then they go and bring it back to how it was before... typical :grin:

Tobyone1985

Post by Tobyone1985 »

After attending yesterday's event I have to say this was one of the best shows I have been to at Shuttleworth, no doubt helped by the closer display lines and great light. This was esently an evening airshow but with more going on during the day. The only real negative was the lack of audience to enjoy the show as this really was Shuttleworth at its best.

st24

Post by st24 »

AFC wrote:
So I go out and buy a 600mm lens just to cope with the increased distances and then they go and bring it back to how it was before... typical :grin:

So you've learned what to do with it now then??...

Great news about the display lines, well done the Shuttleworth team!
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

AFC

Post by AFC »

st24 wrote:
AFC wrote:

So you've learned what to do with it now then??...

Great news about the display lines, well done the Shuttleworth team!

Funnily enough I have, and its a beautiful lens :win:
(I think I asked for that when I asked that stupid question :lol: )

MichaelJP

Post by MichaelJP »

Speaking as someone with a young family, I took my two boys (age 3 and 4) to one of the 'At Home' events last month, arriving at about 12 noon. Although we all enjoyed it I wouldn't go again without a better idea of timings. We had to leave at 6pm and the majority of the flying took place after this time. We wouldn't need times like "15.34 Comet" just 2 hour blocks would be useful when we're planning out a weekend. Before we had kids it didn't matter as we would be relaxed about leaving 'whenever' but is different now!

fiesty fox

Post by fiesty fox »

We have been going to old warden for many years now, usually 3 or 4 times a year but this was our first at home day. After a two hour trip we arrived at about 1030 and we were surprised to find an almost empty airfield, never have we seen such a small attendance.
Think I read somewhere that there would be aircraft in paddock one so as to talk with pilots and engineers, but no.
Little flying in the afternoon apart from the superb Comet and provost, we had to leave before the main flying display at 6, if we had known it was going to be a sunset display we would have booked accommodation as in previous years.
Could have gone to the local agricultural show if I wanted to see tractors.
Cheers
Jeff P.