Race Day & Roaring Twenties Finale - 2nd October 2016

Discussion forum for all things Shuttleworth
st24

Re: Race Day & Roaring Twenties Finale - 2nd October 2016

Post by st24 »

A simply delightful day. Kynsey and Jeffries standout displays for me but pretty much everything was bang on, special mentions to the Glider race trio, seeing the Dove airborne again and the most unlikely finale display that would only happen at OW- the Avro 504 puttering about in glorious golden light! Teichman seemed a bit far out that slightly blunted his presence but hey ho.
A great opportunity to catch up with familiar faced before the Winter hibernation too! Top day. :up:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Elliott Marsh

Post by Elliott Marsh »

I can only echo what's already been written - a sublime end to a difficult season. Always a pleasure to see so many familiar faces too - it took a good couple of hours to work from the car to the restaurant!

What I really like about the current Shuttleworth calendar is that each show has a totally different tone and atmosphere to it. The two strongest shows of the year (IMO), Fly Navy and Race Day, couldn't be further apart in terms of content and were equally brilliant in different ways. The ground attractions at many of the shows have offered an interesting sideshow but they really came into their own here, with 40-50 odd vintage racing cars assembled - and immensely popular they were, too. It made the whole Race Day concept all the more immersive.

The thematic focus is commendable and broadly limiting the air races to this event keeps the whole concept fresh. The glider race was something completely different, but the barmy racing combination of Taylor Titch, Cosmic Wind, Mew Gull, Spartan Executive and Hurricane Mk.I won the day for me - fantastic stuff. It was great that even the crazy Extra display included a nod to the theme, with the addition of the Red Bull Air Race homage.

Some of the line-ups we're seeing at Old Warden are the stuff of vintage enthusiasts' dreams. This show alone boasted a number of 'firsts' and highlights - three Chiltons, the Sopwith Dove's first airshow since the mid-90s and the Moth quartet (including the lovely Fox Moth) being some of the most notable. The individual displays by the Mew Gull, Cosmic Wind and the closing sunset Comet throw down will all live long in the memory. Rounding it all out with the Avro 504 flying around nice and close in glorious light was the perfect end to a top, top show - and a great season, against the odds, for the UK's finest airshow venue.

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

A fine day out. Shuttleworth is much more than just turning up for an airshow, it's about soaking up the day. From the early morning hangar walks, to the pilot chat, chewing the fat with like-minded souls, to the display itself.

As an airshow, I can't say the racing theme did much for me at all - too many flat passes, not enough dynamism, but the Comet is worth £26 of anybody's money, and in that light at the end of the show, oh my!

st24

Post by st24 »

Elliott Marsh wrote: with 40-50 odd vintage racing cars assembled - and immensely popular they were, too. It made the whole Race Day concept all the more immersive.

Not to mention the almost toxic heady haze of castor oil and full on hairy chested petrol exhaust fumes - wonderful! :dizzy:

Can't believe I didn't mention the Fox Moth- definitely one of my faves!! :love:

Dan O'Hagan wrote:.

As an airshow, I can't say the racing theme did much for me at all - too many flat passes, not enough dynamism, !

Perhaps some Reno style under the pylon photo passes for the next one!... :joystick:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

Excellent end to the season. Shuttleworth has stood out as a beacon in this most difficult of years by showing the ability to work with the CAA and also for the excellent themed displays and unusual aircraft.
May other venues and organisers follow in Shuttleworth's footsteps for next year. A very well done to all at Old Warden.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

IP1960

Post by IP1960 »

Again, I can only echo the earlier comments - what a great day to end the season. I'm not as regular a visitor to Old Warden as many here, something which I really should rectify.

I think the vintage cars worked well once they sorted out the interval timings between each run - clearly they were treading carefully at first given the uncertainty of under-wheel conditions, but soon seemed to realise they could release the next vehicle more quickly.

Just to pick out one ground-based highlight, speaking with George Hardy in front of his Mustang I must say was really enjoyable, the afternoons flying reinforcing the fact I should make more of an effort to attend Shuttleworth events more often!

The end of a difficult year - so sad to hear the news from Hardwick yesterday - hopefully plenty to look forward to in 2017.

UK Airshow Review
UKAR Staff

Post by UK Airshow Review »