Old Warden Photography

Discussion forum for all things Shuttleworth
Nwalch

Old Warden Photography

Post by Nwalch »

Hoping to visit Old Warden for my first show there in May. Any recommendations for best places for photography. Is there a map\layout of the site online anywhere?

Jetnoise

Re: Old Warden Photography

Post by Jetnoise »

The site layout can be found here.....

http://www.shuttleworth.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/aircraft_parking_map_noned1.pdf

Anywhere along the crowd-line south of the tower is good for flying shots - sometimes parked aircraft can get in the way of runway shots - something you have to play by ear on the day.

Cheers,
Ralph
www.ralphluntphotography.com
www.jetnoise.co.uk
There's only one way to skin a cat - with a very sharp knife.

Jetnoise

Post by Jetnoise »

By the way, on show days, the "main entrance" shown on the map is not used. If coming from the A1 you drive past it and then left further on which brings you in around the back of the park - all well sign-posted.

Cheers,
Ralph
www.jetnoise.co.uk

Nwalch

Post by Nwalch »

Jetnoise wrote:The site layout can be found here.....

http://www.shuttleworth.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/aircraft_parking_map_noned1.pdf

Anywhere along the crowd-line south of the tower is good for flying shots - sometimes parked aircraft can get in the way of runway shots - something you have to play by ear on the day.

Cheers,
Ralph

Thank Ralph. Is runway 03-21 not used on airshow days?

Jetnoise

Post by Jetnoise »

03/21 is the only runway used on the show days. The cross runway is rarely used by anything other than based aircraft on occasions for test flights if the crosswind is too strong for 03/21 use.
www.jetnoise.co.uk

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

The cross runway was used for landing several times at one of the flying days that I attended last year. Was a bit worried that they were going to run out of the cross runway a couple of times, but they stopped OK thankfully.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

Nwalch

Post by Nwalch »

Jetnoise wrote:By the way, on show days, the "main entrance" shown on the map is not used. If coming from the A1 you drive past it and then left further on which brings you in around the back of the park - all well sign-posted.

Cheers,
Ralph

Is the parking further away on event days?

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

Nwalch wrote:Is the parking further away on event days?

No.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

Orion

Post by Orion »

Jetnoise wrote:03/21 is the only runway used on the show days. The cross runway is rarely used by anything other than based aircraft on occasions for test flights if the crosswind is too strong for 03/21 use.

The cross wind runway is used during shows, but not by the heavier aeroplanes as they can cope with crosswinds much better than the smaller, lighter stuff. Colloquially it's known as 'going up' or 'down' the hill at Old Warden.

Storm Shadow

Post by Storm Shadow »

I have not noticed any mention of the change to the display set-up at Old Warden this year.

On telephoning to query my membership yesterday, I was told that the fence has had to be moved 75ft. Has anyone noticed this? The effect will be to compress the crowdline back towards the 'mound'.

Also, it was said that they are having to close three roads this Sunday, because of the Red Arrows display. I did not ask if this was just during the duration of their display.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

75ft would put it back to where that 'temporary' fenceline was last week?
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Problem I have is when I formally asked them about the fence being bought back I was told in writing that it was temporary only and not being moved?

alisdairanderson

Post by alisdairanderson »

Storm Shadow wrote:Also, it was said that they are having to close three roads this Sunday, because of the Red Arrows display. I did not ask if this was just during the duration of their display.

I cycled past the signs a few days ago.... the signs say "will be closed at somepoint between 1300 and 1800", so assume just for the Reds.

Rgds
Alisdair

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

My understanding is that it's a RAFAT issue only.

Doesn't say much for their confidence in their own abilities, does it?

C24

Post by C24 »

I suspect that the flying ability of the RAFAT pilots exceeds that of the other pilots who plan to display during the event on Sunday.
Enjoy the day.

Jetnoise; your comment about the main entrance was very useful. It will almost certainly prevent an argument between the occupants of at least one car attending. Thank you.
C24.

"There is no go round in a glider".

http://www.flickr.com/photos/charlie-two-four/

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

C24 wrote:I suspect that the flying ability of the RAFAT pilots exceeds that of the other pilots who plan to display during the event on Sunday.

Oddly enough, I think the flying experience of the vast majority of Shuttleworth's own pilots might suggest otherwise. :whistle: There again I don't think any of them would see it as a peeing up the wall contest, as their professionalism is too high. :up:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

ArthurG

Post by ArthurG »

Would anyone happen to know if the fence has actually been moved or will there now be a second fence marking the crowdline, with the original fence as a handy obstruction for runway pictures?

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

ArthurG wrote:Would anyone happen to know if the fence has actually been moved or will there now be a second fence marking the crowdline, with the original fence as a handy obstruction for runway pictures?

As of a photograph posted two weeks ago, the old fence is still in position. It would take a lot of groundwork to move that, move the gates, the PA speakers etc, so I share your concerns if there's any truth to these rumours.

In fairness, the "clarification" we (UKAR) had from Shuttleworth a fortnight ago didn't say the crowd line would be on the old fence, they only confirmed that the temporary fence pictured wouldn't be in use for the show...
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

IF the crowdline has moved back, the show organisers surely have a duty to tell their customers BEFORE they hand over their money. It's like turning up to the cinema to find that big IMAX screen is actually a TV from your living room...

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:IF the crowdline has moved back, the show organisers surely have a duty to tell their customers BEFORE they hand over their money. It's like turning up to the cinema to find that big IMAX screen is actually a TV from your living room...

I expect they will move the display line back, though the effect will be the same for the viewers as it would moving the crowdline.

Exiler

Post by Exiler »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:IF the crowdline has moved back, the show organisers surely have a duty to tell their customers BEFORE they hand over their money. It's like turning up to the cinema to find that big IMAX screen is actually a TV from your living room...

Dan, we don't often agree but on this point I share exactly the same views.

It is interesting to note that a decent percentage of Shuttleworth based aircraft do not meet the higher weight restrictions imposed under the new CAA changes which in layman's terms surely means that they will be unaffected by these. Aircraft such as the Hurricane, Blenheim, Mustang Gladiator etc are the more likely to aircraft to suffer. It really will be a sad state of affairs if they destroy the beautiful venue that we have all come to love.

King Cobra

Post by King Cobra »

Was there on Thursday and the crowd line fence is where it's always been. As far as Old Warden is concerned, IMO the new CAA rules are trying to solve a non existent problem.

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

I'm posting this information with the permission of the Collection.

This weekend, in complying with the new regulations, aircraft less than 150kts will use the 150m line. Anything faster will be on a 230m line. The fence-line at the tower/paddock end remains the same. There will be a minor change in fence-line at the College end.m

In short, the display line has moved back (for faster types), not the crowd.

And the road closures are ONLY at the behest of the Red Arrows for their display.

Minds put to rest, somewhat? Could have been a lot worse!

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:I'm posting this information with the permission of the Collection.

This weekend, in complying with the new regulations, aircraft less than 150kts will use the 150m line. Anything faster will be on a 230m line. The fence-line at the tower/paddock end remains the same. There will be a minor change in fence-line at the College end.m

In short, the display line has moved back (for faster types), not the crowd.

And the road closures are ONLY at the behest of the Red Arrows for their display.

Minds put to rest, somewhat? Could have been a lot worse!

If that's correct, and I'm not questioning you, Dan, then yes. It could have been a lot worse. Hopefully after Sunday everyone will have a much better idea and it will indeed put minds at ease!
Thanks for the update.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

OW have now posted Dan's info on Facebook.