Gathering of Moths

Discussion forum for all things Shuttleworth
AlexC

Gathering of Moths

Post by AlexC »

I'm assuming that the event on Sunday is the annual one that used to that place at Woburn? Can anyone confirm please?
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

I.Winfield

Re: Gathering of Moths

Post by I.Winfield »

I believe so yes. Think at last count there are 80 aircraft booked in (70 being DH types).

See here:

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=72040
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/i_winfield/
Twitter: @IWinfield1

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

Many thanks.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

Rivetcounter

Post by Rivetcounter »

I'm just back from the excellent Gathering of Moths event - really good, but am I the only one who thinks that Shuttleworth are missing a trick by not charging for car parking?

Anyhow, onto my biger gripe :handbag:. During the paddock viewing I was b0&&ocK3d at least 3, maybe 4 times by photographers for spending too long looking at the aircraft. In one case I was chatting to the pilot and we were both told off. Interestingly the said group didn't like it when I turned my camera on them. It turns out I was not the only one to incur the wrath of such people as somebody came up to me and commented about the rude behaviour of some of the photographers, including some who'd told an owner to stop leaning on their own aircraft.

So my plea to the serious photographers is please cut the rudeness, you may be interested in the perfect photo but there are some of us who want to discuss the aircraft with their owners. In fact I urge you to give it a go - have a chat with the pilots, you might find out that they are former BA747 pilots who have great stories to tell and suddenly find you have Mark Jefferies joining in the conversation (as happened to me this afternoon). Also, why not try some different types of photo shots - not just the whole aircraft - because interiors (particularly the placards) and people looking at aircraft, for example - make for excellent photos.

Minor rant over

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

I would have thought that any 'serious photographer' would have left their camera back in their car during the paddock viewing as I did, crowds of people around the aircraft would not make for many meaningful 'photo opportunities'. That said, I didn't personally witness any rude behaviour. Actually thinking about it, I did see an example of rather unusual bad behaviour. Before the paddock was opened I was taking some photos up there on the fence when someone in the paddock immediately on the other side of the fence backed right up against me, I think he was trying to take a photo with his phone. He seemed completely obvious of my existence, and I was sorely tempted to push him in the back. But anyway I resisted and moved away.

Overall I thought it was a very successful day even if the weather didn't quite match the very favourable forecast that I saw the day before. Old Warden seems to me to be the perfect location for a fly-in such as this. And I don't think that even Oshkosh has such a large turnout in their 'Classic' aircraft section.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

I had a fantastic day on Sunday. It's an incredible testament to the designer and designers that you can have these aircraft turning up in such numbers nearly a century on. Well organised again and it was great to see the paddock opened up to the public for their enjoyment. A shame that the rather wasnt as good as forecast. Tiger 9..err..11 were very good too.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

vintage ATCO

Post by vintage ATCO »

Sorry, only just found this. I had started a Gathering of Moths post in the 'Other UK Airshows and Events'.

You need to remember that this, like the Chipmunk 70th which I also helped organise, was not a Shuttleworth event. If an admission charge is made then it becomes their event. This is not to say that things will not change in the future and we (the de Havilland Moth Club) are in discussions for a date for next year. There may be a charge in the future, maybe not; it will be small if so.

I am sorry to hear the reaction of some photographers. They need to remember that any event is not just about photography and if they start shouting at the owners/pilots then the latter will simply stop making their aeroplanes accessible.

Thanks for the feedback. We are also looking at having a Charity Flying Weekend as we use to do a few years back. More details when we decide.
vA
stevelevien.com