2017 displays

Discussion forum for all things Shuttleworth
Chris G

2017 displays

Post by Chris G »

The British Airshows FB page has a listing of next years events. Good to see the return of two evening displays and the highlight for me that they will be doing another Fly Navy event in June.

The Baron

Re: 2017 displays

Post by The Baron »

Not sure if a repeat of the Fly Navy day is good or not, not so soon after the first anyway. Shuttleworth will have to work hard just to match it. In a couple years maybe, but not straight away.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

Excellent. The Fly Navy show this year was the highlight of the season - a welcome return in 2017.

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

As 'The Baron' has said, surely the display line-up will also be a repeat. If the Hunter grounding is lifted by then, there's two RN marked examples that could join the party, and hopefully they'll be able to attract the Royal Navy Black Cats to perform. But other than that, it'll have to be a pretty similar line-up. I won't complain but it's a risky strategy...

Private Custard

Post by Private Custard »

It's not risky at all. Fly Navy this year was the highlight of the season, despite the horrid regulations on distance. Imagine this years show, but on the old lines! :biggrin:

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

There's the Fury II now also, and hopefully Kennet's Seafire will be back in action next year.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

It's a fair point about repetition, however Fly Navy was, for me, probably the best show of the season, and not talking with my photography cap on, but from an airshow perspective - there was a clearly defined theme (none of these vague "could-be-anything" themes), it was stuck to, it was clearly observed and it was the absolute focus of the show. Fantastic participation, and good support from the current RN, they didn't mostly rely on their own based machines (which, to be fair, they do quite a lot, which is not a negative, but refreshing for a change), and even with the CAA rules, was an utterly charming day out.

To say nothing of the dream weather.

I'll have no complaints for another FlyNavy, but also, given the quality of the other UK shows in 2016, the FlyNavy show this year could have been half as good as it was, and would still have been magical.

I love naval aviation - I'd have few objections about seeing it as an annual fixture, tbh.

Hatstand
UKAR Supporter

Post by Hatstand »

Perhaps a Skyraider will make it to next year's Fly Navy?
And could the Avenger be a possibility?
Goodbye 600D... Hello FZ150!

I.Winfield

Post by I.Winfield »

Potentially add in the Sopwith triplane and Camel for the RNAS as well. Ill certainly be there again.
Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/i_winfield/
Twitter: @IWinfield1

Canon

Post by Canon »

As long as the sea vixen returns, I will be happy.
Canon 80D
Canon 600D
Sigma 150-600mm C
Canon 70-300mm L
Sigma 18-300mm C

Chris G

Post by Chris G »

Full listing of next years events, potentially another great year!
May 7th - Season Premier.
May 20th - Classic Evening Airshow.
June 4th - Fly Navy!
June 17th - Classic Evening Airshow.
July 2nd - Military Pageant
July 15th - WWI Evening Airshow.
August 6th - Shuttleworth Edwardian Pageant
August 19th - Flying Proms (20th Anniversary)
September 3rd - Shuttleworth Heritage
October 1st - Shuttleworth Race Day

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

Chris G wrote:Full listing of next years events, potentially another great year!
June 4th - Fly Navy!

Excellent. OLD Old Warden is back! Common sense prevailing with the binning of those awful At Home events. Whoever suggested replacing the iconic, unique, evening shows with those abominations, hopefully, is no longer in the employment of the Collection.

I shudder to think at the losses made on this year's sparsely attended "no idea what or when anything's flying" At Home Days.

Elliott Marsh

Post by Elliott Marsh »

Bringing back Fly Navy so soon makes total sense to me - the first one was one of the best Old Warden shows ever (against the odds considering this was a month into the airshow season and the new regs were still being felt out). New possible additions such as the Camel, Triplane, the second Gladiator, another Pup, the North Weald Fury and whatever else they might rustle up should make it sufficiently different but a straight up repeat would hardly be a bad thing! A sequel to the Fury/Bearcat throwdown from this month's Duxford show would be tremendous. Just a shame, selfishly, that it clashes with with La Ferté-Alais and that's where I'll be.

I enjoyed the one At Home day I attended and hope the ground elements can perhaps be incorporated into the evening shows - the agricultural theme brought out some really lovely steam engines and vintage tractors.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

As well as those mentioned above, Fly Navy could also have potentially a Meteor, Catalina, Mitchell or Stearman, or maybe from further afield Alize, Paris or Zephyr. Maybe they could even persuade say the French Navy to send a helicopter SAR demo up?

Lots of different potential, lets just hope the weather is the same. :up:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

st24

Post by st24 »

capercaillie wrote:As well as those mentioned above, Fly Navy could also have potentially a Meteor, Catalina, Mitchell or Stearman, or maybe from further afield Alize, Paris or Zephyr. Maybe they could even persuade say the French Navy to send a helicopter SAR demo up?

Lots of different potential, lets just hope the weather is the same. :up:

Re the French, read Last sentence of 1st paragraph of previous post.. :sad: That's a bit of a clash...
Last edited by Wissam24 on Fri 16 Dec 2016, 9:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: rule 5
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Elliott Marsh

Post by Elliott Marsh »

PeterR wrote:As 'The Baron' has said, surely the display line-up will also be a repeat. If the Hunter grounding is lifted by then, there's two RN marked examples that could join the party, and hopefully they'll be able to attract the Royal Navy Black Cats to perform. But other than that, it'll have to be a pretty similar line-up. I won't complain but it's a risky strategy...

You say that, but many UK airshows get by with very similar line-ups year on year. The difference here being that Fly Navy I had one of the best airshow line-ups of the year!

Also the Aeronavale historics will undoubtedly be at LFA - but there's absolutely no reason the whole mob couldn't fly over from France in formation, with the MS317 joining in manfully and flanked by four Rafales as they arrive over Old Warden...

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

Elliott Marsh wrote:
PeterR wrote:As 'The Baron' has said, surely the display line-up will also be a repeat. If the Hunter grounding is lifted by then, there's two RN marked examples that could join the party, and hopefully they'll be able to attract the Royal Navy Black Cats to perform. But other than that, it'll have to be a pretty similar line-up. I won't complain but it's a risky strategy...

You say that, but many UK airshows get by with very similar line-ups year on year. The difference here being that Fly Navy I had one of the best airshow line-ups of the year!

Also the Aeronavale historics will undoubtedly be at LFA - but there's absolutely no reason the whole mob couldn't fly over from France in formation, with the MS317 joining in manfully and flanked by four Rafales as they arrive over Old Warden...

You're right Elliott. It was one of the best UK line ups of the year. That's why it will be so hard to live up to it second time round. I hope Shuttleworth do, but personally I'd prefer it to be a less regular event which keeps the uniqueness. How much flak have Duxford/Bournemouth/Gransden etc come in forgot having samey line ups?
Keep the Fly Navy event as a bi-annual spectacular would be my suggestion.
See you at La Ferté Alais!
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

Chris G wrote:Full listing of next years events, potentially another great year!
June 4th - Fly Navy!

The king returns. :king: :cool:

Slappywag

Post by Slappywag »

Outside chance of the Gannet perhaps...

Georgeconna

Post by Georgeconna »

nice one, WW1 show in the same weekend as IAT. Sorted.
Cheers

George

Zero shows for 2018 Giving in a Rest.

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:
Excellent. OLD Old Warden is back! Common sense prevailing with the binning of those awful At Home events. Whoever suggested replacing the iconic, unique, evening shows with those abominations, hopefully, is no longer in the employment of the Collection.

I shudder to think at the losses made on this year's sparsely attended "no idea what or when anything's flying" At Home Days.

That's a little harsh, they tried something different (possibly to circumvent the new CAA rules around airshows) but they got it wrong, we all make mistakes. At least they've realised that and have gone back to the old format.

Chris G

Post by Chris G »

As it's probably the same person responsible for some fantastic line ups this year i fully hope the said person stays at OW for a very long time.

Spotty_Jag

Post by Spotty_Jag »

A little birdy informs be that the Hunter grounding will likely be lifted soon, when the final AAIB report is published. Therefore hopefully this beauty will be available for air displays in 2017. Imagine her in formation with the Sea Vixen coming round the bend at Shuttleworth...

Ian G
UKAR Staff

Post by Ian G »

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

YESSS!!! FLY NAVY!!!! I missed the show last year due to illness at the very last minute, I was so disappointed. The formula seemed to go down very well, hope I can make it next year now!
Garf's website and Flickr Photostream

"Which road can I close for you today?"

#tapestries

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

Spotty_Jag wrote:Imagine her in formation with the Sea Vixen coming round the bend at Shuttleworth...

Would that 'the powers that be' could make it so!
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP