Fly Navy II - 4 June 2017

Re: Fly Navy II - 4 June 2017

Postby Pringles on Sun 04 Jun 2017, 9:12 pm

For those of you that haven't seen, the Shuttleworth Collection released the following statement 2 hours ago:
Our gladiator put safely down in one of the surrounding fields available for this purpose. Pilot completely fine, and aircraft being brought back home. Beer will be a bit late for engineers tonight though ;-)

Update on the Gladiator tomorrow, thanks for all the well wishes :-)


I suppose this supports the CAA's decision to allow more lenient regulations at Old Warden, if there is sufficient landing space "available for this purpose"
Last edited by Pringles on Sun 04 Jun 2017, 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic
User avatar
Pringles

Re: Fly Navy II - 4 June 2017

Postby timuss on Sun 04 Jun 2017, 9:13 pm

Just how are they going to get her back to the field i wonder?
Canon 7Dmk2
Canon 7D
Sigma 18-200
Sigma 10-20
Canon 100-400 L IS II
Icom ICR-2 Scanner
PSN: timuss
timuss

Re: Fly Navy II - 4 June 2017

Postby Wissam24 on Sun 04 Jun 2017, 9:33 pm

Superb show, in spite of the weather. Monstrous displays from the TFC fighters and the Fury. The Cat pilot was clearly having a blast, that last pass was awesome. The Balbo was a great idea, obviously with the incident marring it somewhat.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016
User avatar
Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Re: Fly Navy II - 4 June 2017

Postby timuss on Sun 04 Jun 2017, 9:36 pm

Great show lots of highlights the spirited BBMF pair and Nimrod's and Demon and the epic Fury what a machine!! So glad it made its OW debut, just a shame the sun was somewhat elusive that would have topped it off nicely!
Canon 7Dmk2
Canon 7D
Sigma 18-200
Sigma 10-20
Canon 100-400 L IS II
Icom ICR-2 Scanner
PSN: timuss
timuss

Re: Fly Navy II - 4 June 2017

Postby UKTopgun on Sun 04 Jun 2017, 10:22 pm

Fury was great even though it had to curtail the full display and do flypasts once tower noted ajar tail wheel doors (pilot unconcerned by it)
UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Re: Fly Navy II - 4 June 2017

Postby tuska2 on Mon 05 Jun 2017, 8:25 am

An excellent show at OW, the light went pants, the tech withdrawals a disappointment of course, but still a great show! Special mention for the Cat display and a long awaited close, very nice topside BBMF pass! Thankfully the two landing incidents were handled safely and professionally, hopefully requiring just relatively easy fixes. What a gem OW is!
tuska2

Re: Fly Navy II - 4 June 2017

Postby ted633 on Mon 05 Jun 2017, 9:08 am

Really good day yesterday even though the weather wasn't exactly the greatest. Was great to see the Huey drafted in to the display, only seen it the once before & didn't realise the history it had. As people have already said, the Catalina, Wildcat, Fury & Hurricane were the highlight. Special thanks also to the commentary team for keeping us rapidly updated with the aftermath of the Gladiator 'incident' :clap:
2017 - Fly Navy, Military Pageant, Legends, RIAT, BHFoF, Dunsfold

http://www.flickr.com/photos/134836614@N02/albums
User avatar
ted633

Re: Fly Navy II - 4 June 2017

Postby jalfrezi on Mon 05 Jun 2017, 9:33 am

UKTopgun wrote:Fury was great even though it had to curtail the full display and do flypasts once tower noted ajar tail wheel doors (pilot unconcerned by it)


That explains all of the lovely top side passes then! :clap:
User avatar
jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Re: Fly Navy II - 4 June 2017

Postby iainpeden on Mon 05 Jun 2017, 12:05 pm

With my love of the Phantom I also spotted a registration number(car) I covert - F4 FAN - the car it was on was rather nice too. (and thanks for the chat to the owner if you're reading this.)
User avatar
iainpeden

Re: Fly Navy II - 4 June 2017

Postby st24 on Mon 05 Jun 2017, 12:13 pm

Really enjoyed the show - then again it's pretty hard not to enjoy a day at Old Warden, cancellations and cloud aside. That said I have to say the volume from the PA was excruciatingly loud down by the tower - I presume it was the same along the crowd line. It was impossible to hold a normal conversation when it was being used and it was quite a relief when the (excellent) commentary subsided.... :music:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!
User avatar
st24

Re: Fly Navy II - 4 June 2017

Postby LN Strike Eagle on Mon 05 Jun 2017, 12:38 pm

Comms weren't that loud further along where I was, near the MS406.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"
User avatar
LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Re: Fly Navy II - 4 June 2017

Postby UKTopgun on Mon 05 Jun 2017, 12:41 pm

I was at the other end - near the park. Noticed they had extended the line of tannoys down that end too, unlike last season when we were left with no commentary at all as they only went up to the gate.
For me the volume was spot on. I thought about something else - Ben D must do almost every show in the country nowadays! Not a complaint in any way, as he is excellent, and seems to have cornered the commentary market.
UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Re: Fly Navy II - 4 June 2017

Postby capercaillie on Mon 05 Jun 2017, 12:42 pm

LN Strike Eagle wrote:Comms weren't that loud further along where I was, near the MS406.


That's normally at La Ferte Alais isn't it? We're you getting ready for Cosford display distances? :grin:
"The surrogate voice of st24"
User avatar
capercaillie

Re: Fly Navy II - 4 June 2017

Postby BDL on Mon 05 Jun 2017, 1:16 pm

To my absolute shame that was my first ever Shuttleworth show, it won't be my last. Agree with everything that's been said, that Catalina pass was a joy to behold. So good to see aircraft properly displayed.
Forget the EFL, it's all about the National League.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bigdl2009/
User avatar
BDL

Re: Fly Navy II - 4 June 2017

Postby LN Strike Eagle on Mon 05 Jun 2017, 1:21 pm

capercaillie wrote:
LN Strike Eagle wrote:Comms weren't that loud further along where I was, near the MS406.


That's normally at La Ferte Alais isn't it? We're you getting ready for Cosford display distances? :grin:

:grin:

Whoops. MS317.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"
User avatar
LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Re: Fly Navy II - 4 June 2017

Postby Pringles on Mon 05 Jun 2017, 1:28 pm

Excellent news!
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic
User avatar
Pringles

Re: Fly Navy II - 4 June 2017

Postby Jumbo on Mon 05 Jun 2017, 2:12 pm

Good to see that the Seafire is ok



BDL wrote:To my absolute shame that was my first ever Shuttleworth show, it won't be my last. Agree with everything that's been said, that Catalina pass was a joy to behold. So good to see aircraft properly displayed.


Same here, the display distances alone are enough to get me hooked, let alone the excellent flying and the unusual types like the Demon and Anson. The Catalina display was excellent compared to when i saw it last year, it also looked great with the landing lights against the dark grey clouds.

st24 wrote:volume from the PA was excruciatingly loud down by the tower


I was near the Wasp and the Wildcat and the PA was perfect although it did cut out a few times.
User avatar
Jumbo

Re: Fly Navy II - 4 June 2017

Postby tuska2 on Mon 05 Jun 2017, 5:35 pm

Great news on the Glad & Seafire.
tuska2

Re: Fly Navy II - 4 June 2017

Postby IP1960 on Mon 05 Jun 2017, 8:02 pm

Another thumbs up from me - I love the atmosphere at Old Warden so any visit there is always enjoyable, though the weather and cancellations did do their best to try to diminish it yesterday. Despite that, some great flying, and judging by reports from home in Worcestershire during the day, and the journey home, the weather could have been a lot worse!
IP1960

Re: Fly Navy II - 4 June 2017

Postby Tim Spouge on Mon 05 Jun 2017, 9:00 pm

st24 wrote:Really enjoyed the show - then again it's pretty hard not to enjoy a day at Old Warden, cancellations and cloud aside. That said I have to say the volume from the PA was excruciatingly loud down by the tower - I presume it was the same along the crowd line. It was impossible to hold a normal conversation when it was being used and it was quite a relief when the (excellent) commentary subsided.... :music:


I have to agree the commentary from the tower to near the vehicle gate was far too loud. You literally had to shout at the person next to you at times for them to hear, and it did block out and spoil the sounds of the engines. Hopefully this is something that can be addressed for future shows.

Highlight of the day for me was the Fury display. Who else was impressed at how quickly the Scout and Pup took off?
Tim Spouge

Re: Fly Navy II - 4 June 2017

Postby st24 on Tue 06 Jun 2017, 7:37 am

Tim Spouge wrote:
st24 wrote:Really enjoyed the show - then again it's pretty hard not to enjoy a day at Old Warden, cancellations and cloud aside. That said I have to say the volume from the PA was excruciatingly loud down by the tower - I presume it was the same along the crowd line. It was impossible to hold a normal conversation when it was being used and it was quite a relief when the (excellent) commentary subsided.... :music:


I have to agree the commentary from the tower to near the vehicle gate was far too loud. You literally had to shout at the person next to you at times for them to hear, and it did block out and spoil the sounds of the engines. Hopefully this is something that can be addressed for future shows.

Highlight of the day for me was the Fury display. Who else was impressed at how quickly the Scout and Pup took off?


The Scout was like a rocket!! Very sprightly display, great to see.
Thinking about the PA volume, I was only talking to zigzag and a former UKAR member so probably a blessing in disguise!... :grin:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!
User avatar
st24

Re: Fly Navy II - 4 June 2017

Postby Ouragan on Tue 06 Jun 2017, 11:29 am

First Shuttleworth display for a few years.

Had a blast, despite the weather clamping in. Couple of brown trouser moments with the Seafire and the Gladiator, but all's well that ends well. Wonderful to see three Camm classics together, and other highlights for me were the Huey, the Catalina and the Great War machines. SWMBO, who has only experienced the likes of larger military events in the past, completely enjoyed herself with the whole atmosphere of the place, taking some time to explore the house and the Swiss Garden as well as the hangars.

She also remarked how refreshing it was to not have to pay through the nose for a cup of coffee and to use a proper toilet rather than a porta-potty. And I am forced to agree on those points.
User avatar
Ouragan

Re: Fly Navy II - 4 June 2017

Postby wallace on Tue 06 Jun 2017, 11:48 am

No one was hurt and that's all that matters, aircraft can be repaired.

Never mind about being backlit, you caught the moment and got the photos and that is all that counts.
User avatar
wallace

Re: Fly Navy II - 4 June 2017

Postby King Cobra on Tue 06 Jun 2017, 6:23 pm

timuss wrote:Just how are they going to get her back to the field i wonder?


A few trees were chopped down to make way and she was towed back across the fields.
King Cobra

Re: Fly Navy II - 4 June 2017

Postby Dan O'Hagan on Wed 07 Jun 2017, 4:05 pm

Ouragan wrote:First Shuttleworth display for a few years.

Had a blast, despite the weather clamping in. Couple of brown trouser moments with the Seafire and the Gladiator, but all's well that ends well. Wonderful to see three Camm classics together, and other highlights for me were the Huey, the Catalina and the Great War machines. SWMBO, who has only experienced the likes of larger military events in the past, completely enjoyed herself with the whole atmosphere of the place, taking some time to explore the house and the Swiss Garden as well as the hangars.

She also remarked how refreshing it was to not have to pay through the nose for a cup of coffee and to use a proper toilet rather than a porta-potty. And I am forced to agree on those points.


Yes, hot drinks at the hut near the paddock are excellent value, and proper khazis are never a bad thing. Little things which make OW unbeatable as a venue.
Dan O'Hagan

PreviousNext

Return to Old Warden Air Displays

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests