Military Pageant 2 July

Discussion forum for all things Shuttleworth
Pen Pusher

Re: Military Pageant 2 July

Post by Pen Pusher »

Blenheim is sitting outside ARCo ready to fly.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

ted633 wrote:
LN Strike Eagle wrote:Based on its previous two visits, I assume the Blenheim is landing again?

Blenheim is also appearing at Swansea, so possibly not?

...& at Chalke Valley Historical Pageant between 14:30 & 15:15 presumably en-route or RTB from Swansea? Either way, unless it comes to Shuttleworth early tomorrow morning, takes-off for its display & departs off-slot to the other venues, it's likely to be a 'touring display'.

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

Stagger2 wrote:
ted633 wrote:
LN Strike Eagle wrote:Based on its previous two visits, I assume the Blenheim is landing again?

Blenheim is also appearing at Swansea, so possibly not?

...& at Chalke Valley Historical Pageant between 14:30 & 15:15 presumably en-route or RTB from Swansea? Either way, unless it comes to Shuttleworth early tomorrow morning, takes-off for its display & departs off-slot to the other venues, it's likely to be a 'touring display'.

Well, this might suggest it will be appearing at Old Warden once the harsher light of the early afternoon has been and gone. And quite possibly a chance of fuel-stopping before or after displaying too... :heyhey:

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

Seamus wrote:A second Scout has also appeared on the visiting aircraft list...

It seems this has since been removed? :sad:
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic

Tbolt

Post by Tbolt »

Another great show, with great weather. Usually generic BBMF Huricane display, which didn't really matter as the 3 Old Warden Hurricanes display was fantastic as was the Blenhiem display. Nice tight display from Sally B, 2 Edwardians and a bonus Avro 19 display after shows end.
Last edited by Tbolt on Sun 02 Jul 2017, 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

red_snow

Post by red_snow »

Agreed ..... brilliant Hurri 3 Ship and liked the rotary/fixed wing display as well. Of course the Edwardians were the icing on the cake.

Yet again another great day at Old Warden which is fast becoming my favourite venue :-D

Tbolt

Post by Tbolt »

red_snow wrote:Agreed ..... brilliant Hurri 3 Ship and liked the rotary/fixed wing display as well. Of course the Edwardians were the icing on the cake.

Yet again another great day at Old Warden which is fast becoming my favourite venue :-D

Yes forget about that, a bit of a different display though would have been nice if the Beaver did a bit more solo.

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

A good day, but not a great one. The show seemed to come alive in the second half, Blenheim onwards. Felt flat up to then, certainly compared to the previous show. Agree the BBMF Hurricane stank the place out, nothing but distant undersides. The new Hurricane's solo was worth the admission fee on its own. John Romain smashed it out of the park in the Blenheim, and Dodge's M.1c display was a Shuttleworth masterclass.

Even when OW isn't at the very top of its game, it still is king of the venues.

Great to see so many friendly faces. No doubt sunburnt faces by now...

red_snow

Post by red_snow »

Dan O'Hagan wrote: Great to see so many friendly faces. No doubt sunburnt faces by now...

I'm suffering!! Lobster doesn't cover it. It is my own fault I know, I'm allergic to the normal sunscreen so had purchased some of the more natural ones but doh, left it at home :-(

Overall a great day :smile: :smile:

BMrider

Post by BMrider »

Ist Photo up! , A great day, Have lots of photos to work through, weather perfect,

ImageMiss Velma Old Warden 02072017 by Mark Handley, on Flickr

ted633

Post by ted633 »

A great day all round. Sally B & the Mustang both put on great displays, as did the AACHF. Was also great to see the F2B, Moth & Lysander all together, a rather unique photo opportunity. With regards to the BBMF display, a think it's a bit unfair to say it was distant & undersides only. I personally thought P7317 was just as distant, if not more so, that the BBMF during its aerobatic sequence (not a complaint, it was still a great display!). Seeing the Edwardian's flying for the first time for me since 2004 was also a great sight.
My only complaint would be the lack of info from the commentary team regarding the no-shows. There was no mention of the BBMF Spitfire, Sioux, Provost or Lancaster which were all listed in the programme as displaying. (I'm fully aware about the Lanc, though many of the 'Joe public' may not of been). Other than that, a fantastic day.

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

What a show! :yahoo: Superb weather meant we saw some excellent flying, picks for me were the Edwardians, the AACHF, and that final G-HITT extended solo display :love: I was in a commentary deadspot, I assume the speaker near me was not working, was this a planned display or simply the pilot being told to "fill yer boots" by ATC? It went on for much longer than I anticipated, and I lost count of the number of glorious sunlit topsides we were treated to!

Aside from the PA blackout near me I can't personally fault the display, I don't feel it was much worse for the cancellations (aside from perhaps the Sioux which would've added a further dynamic to the AACHF display, or maybe the endlessly grounded Lanc) Old Warden with clear blue skies and some excellent flying, it doesn't get much better than that :rock:
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic

Ryan.

Post by Ryan. »

ted633 wrote: With regards to the BBMF display, a think it's a bit unfair to say it was distant & undersides only. I personally thought P7317 was just as distant, if not more so, that the BBMF during its aerobatic sequence (not a complaint, it was still a great display!)
My only complaint would be the lack of info from the commentary team regarding the no-shows. There was no mention of the BBMF Spitfire, Sioux, Provost or Lancaster which were all listed in the programme as displaying. (I'm fully aware about the Lanc, though many of the 'Joe public' may not of been).

P3717 may have started as distant as the BBMF's Hurricane when it was performing aerobatics however it still did a number of close topside passes towards the end of its display. The BBMF's Hurricane just performed underside and, well more underside. Compaired to how well both the BBMF were displayed at the Fly Navy show it was a disappointment.

Although I agree with the lack of information regarding cancellations. The Arrow Active wasn't mentioned during their Season Opening show either, it wouldn't hurt to run through why. They also need a PA system that works and doesn't cut out frequently.

st24

Post by st24 »

ted633 wrote:I personally thought P7317 was just as distant, if not more so, that the BBMF during its aerobatic sequence (not a complaint, it was still a great display!).

Well of course it was! It was aerobatting whilst the other 2 performed fly bys. When they landed Mr Goldspink destroyed the place with fantastic top side after top side after top side.. It was heaven on earth for 10 minutes and I'm still a little moist from the whole event. If the BBMF come to OW it should be flypasts only as that's when they get into the spirit of things. I also thought the Beaver was a non event which was disappointing as I thought that could have gone down well. Other than that just utterly superb, Po2, M1C, Be2, Triplane, Blended, gliders and Edwardian's all owned it today but most displays were top drawer. Wonderful stuff aided by the wx of course (the light was sublime) and the magical atmosphere that is this place. Great to catch up with folk too!! :up: :worship:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

stuart n

Post by stuart n »

If you didn't enjoy today find a new hobby is what I'd say.

Now, about the lack of Spitfires :whistle: :lmao:

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

Crowd seemed healthy again today, I got on site at 9:10 and was parked up near the back row of stalls. Question - what time to the gates *actually* open, as it's clear people are getting in a lot earlier than the advertised 9am!

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Another great show. Didn't quite hit the high note of the evening show a fortnight ago, but that's no criticism as that show was pretty much flawless and one of the best I've ever attended.

Really picked up in the second half of the programme - the M1c was a better display than the outing two weeks ago I thought, and one of the best displays I've ever seen of it. The BE2e was probably my overall standout performer, I thought that was sensational. The final few passes from P3717 were epic - I could honestly watch that all day long and not tire of it. Po2 was as well flown as I think I've ever seen it, and the Eds at the end were brilliant.

Thoroughly enjoyed Clare Tector's pilot chat on the Po2 - she spoke brilliantly and her affection for the aircraft was very evident.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Ryan.

Post by Ryan. »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:The BE2e was probably my overall standout performer, I thought that was sensational. The final few passes from P3717 were epic - I could honestly watch that all day long and not tire of it. Po2 was as well flown as I think I've ever seen it

Easily agreed. I'd also add the Blenheim to that, I've never seen anything other than a great display from that aeroplane, always displayed exceptionally well.

ted633

Post by ted633 »

st24 wrote:Well of course it was! It was aerobatting whilst the other 2 performed fly bys. When they landed Mr Goldspink destroyed the place with fantastic top side after top side after top side.. It was heaven on earth for 10 minutes and I'm still a little moist from the whole event. If the BBMF come to OW it should be flypasts only as that's when they get into the spirit of things. I also thought the Beaver was a non event which was disappointing as I thought that could have gone down well. Other than that just utterly superb, Po2, M1C, Be2, Triplane, Blended, gliders and Edwardian's all owned it today but most displays were top drawer. Wonderful stuff aided by the wx of course (the light was sublime) and the magical atmosphere that is this place. Great to catch up with folk too!! :up: :worship:

Fully aware of why it was distant when it was aerobatting, just get a little tired of people endlessly berating the BBMF for doing the same thing. Agree that they should do 'flypasts' only as it works so much better than the display sequence at OW. As for P3717's passes after the other 2 had landed, words can't really describe it, can they?

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

ted633 wrote:
st24 wrote:Well of course it was! It was aerobatting whilst the other 2 performed fly bys. When they landed Mr Goldspink destroyed the place with fantastic top side after top side after top side.. It was heaven on earth for 10 minutes and I'm still a little moist from the whole event. If the BBMF come to OW it should be flypasts only as that's when they get into the spirit of things. I also thought the Beaver was a non event which was disappointing as I thought that could have gone down well. Other than that just utterly superb, Po2, M1C, Be2, Triplane, Blended, gliders and Edwardian's all owned it today but most displays were top drawer. Wonderful stuff aided by the wx of course (the light was sublime) and the magical atmosphere that is this place. Great to catch up with folk too!! :up: :worship:

Fully aware of why it was distant when it was aerobatting, just get a little tired of people endlessly berating the BBMF for doing the same thing. Agree that they should do 'flypasts' only as it works so much better than the display sequence at OW. As for P3717's passes after the other 2 had landed, words can't really describe it, can they?

The BBMF get berated for good reason. They know how to fly their aeroplanes, but haven't got a clue how to display them. Today I remarked to DanB that the Hurricane display they flew was surely a parody. Endless undersides miles from the crowdline. Totally disconnected with the audience, and the opposite of what Old Warden is famous for. Their problem is that they have one set routine. One size fits all. What works at a county show or ceremonial event looks absolutely awful at a venue like Shuttleworth, where people know exactly what they're seeing. And yet when it's "flypast only" at Old Warden, they are magnificent!

I don't know why they are so unwilling to put even one topside pass into their displays. Remind me of an airshow accident involving an aeroplane flying a gentle, curving pass because I sure as hell can't remember one...

Probably a discussion for another thread, to be fair.

Tbolt

Post by Tbolt »

ted633 wrote:

No one is saying that the BBMF aircraft are not flown well, but maybe whoever decides they should only have a "one size fits all" display (instead of 2 displays which better suit 99% of the places they visit, which doesn't have to be that much different from their primary display ) should have been in the crowd yesterday, then they would understand the comments.

rebel14

Post by rebel14 »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:Crowd seemed healthy again today, I got on site at 9:10 and was parked up near the back row of stalls. Question - what time to the gates *actually* open, as it's clear people are getting in a lot earlier than the advertised 9am!

Having arrived at a similar time for Fly Navy i asked then same question and was told that people had been queuing from 07:30 but not sure what time gates were actually opened

Tbolt

Post by Tbolt »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:Crowd seemed healthy again today, I got on site at 9:10 and was parked up near the back row of stalls. Question - what time to the gates *actually* open, as it's clear people are getting in a lot earlier than the advertised 9am!

I think the gates opened around 08:30, I wasn't paying too much attention to the time. I think they open earlier when the queue gets to a certain size. I got there at 07:45 and was parked in the 2nd row of cars. A couple of years back they did open at 09:00, but since then the venue seems to have got more popular so it does get busy earlier.

Canon

Post by Canon »

They start letting people park up at about 8:30am.
I don't know when people start queing, but I arrived at about 7:30ish and ended up getting jumped by around 20 cars due to the ticket scanning not working in my row. Meant that I didn't get to my favourite spot :mad:
For the next show I will be aiming to get there well before 7

As for the BBMF, why bother book them for anything other than flypasts? They can do flypasts well, but their displays are atrocious. Can't help but feel that maybe instead of booking them, shuttleworth would have been better of booking another civillian owned hurricane (or 2) and had more than three in the sky together
Canon 80D
Canon 600D
Sigma 150-600mm C
Canon 70-300mm L
Sigma 18-300mm C

Mike

Post by Mike »

Canon wrote:As for the BBMF, why bother book them for anything other than flypasts? They can do flypasts well, but their displays are atrocious.

Firstly, you don't 'book' the BBMF, you request them and then get allocated something depending on routing and availability. Secondly, they were originally scheduled as a Spitfire/Hurricane/Lancaster combination, a display item well worth seeing, wouldn't you agree?. As it turned out, on the day they were only able to provide the solo Hurricane.