Edwardian Pageant 6 August

Discussion forum for all things Shuttleworth
st24

Edwardian Pageant 6 August

Post by st24 »

Some general stuff here but still strong..

• Little and Large
• Calidus
• Bücker Jungmann
• Tiger 9
• Breitling Wing Walkers
• Auster J1N
• Auster AOP 6
• Dragon Rapide
• Dragonfly

COLLECTION AIRCRAFT

• Fauvel Glider
• Harvard
• Miles Magister
• Chipmunk
• Westland Lysander
• Polikarpov Po2
• Gloster Gladiator
• Sopwith Camel
• Bristol F2b
• Bristol M1C
• SE5a
• Sopwith Snipe
• Dragon Rapide
• Avro 504K
• Sopwith Pup
• Sopwith Triplane
• Bristol Boxkite
• Deperdussin
• Avro Triplane
• Blackburn Monoplane

http://www.shuttleworth.org/events/edwardianpageant/
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Elliott Marsh

Re: Edwardian Pageant 6 August

Post by Elliott Marsh »

Dragonfly and Rapides! :drool:

FWIW the Snipe has now been moved to the visiting list. Hopeful this indicates it isn't going back to New Zealand just yet.

I'm assuming WWI content will be added nearer the time (if the Eddy Pag is along the same lines as last year's could-have-been-the-best-airshow-ever with about 15 WWI types in attendance, that is). Assuming it is, not a bad move scheduling other visitors that aren't quite so weather dependant to ensure a fairly full programme regardless of whether the WWIs fly.

st24

Post by st24 »

Red Arrows confirmed. Nothing sums up the quaint, quirky Edwardian period at Old Warden more than a capacity crowd of fun fair loving kiss me quick hat Red Arrows fans.... :dummy: :roll:

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

st24 wrote:Red Arrows confirmed. Nothing sums up the quaint, quirky Edwardian period at Old Warden more than a capacity crowd of fun fair loving kiss me quick hat Red Arrows fans.... :dummy: :roll:

That's put me right off. Edwardian. Pageant. The clue is in the name.

The Red Arrows have no place at Shuttleworth, least of all at this show.

Place was horrendous the last time they displayed there. Never seen so many vests and tattoos in one place.

Sad to see the venue chasing the dollar by booking populist acts. Don't ruin the venue's unique character, charm and ambience by becoming just another same-old airshow. Trust in your own product. It was never broken, so stop trying to fix it.

Ryan.

Post by Ryan. »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:
st24 wrote:Red Arrows confirmed. Nothing sums up the quaint, quirky Edwardian period at Old Warden more than a capacity crowd of fun fair loving kiss me quick hat Red Arrows fans.... :dummy: :roll:

Place was horrendous the last time they displayed there. Never seen so many vests and tattoos in one place.

Sad to see the venue chasing the dollar by booking populist acts. Don't ruin the venue's unique character, charm and ambience by becoming just another same-old airshow. Trust in your own product. It was never broken, so stop trying to fix it.

Hardly. There were only four aircraft on that list that could be considered Edwardian anyway.

I was there when they displayed at the Season Opener last year and the atmosphere was absolutely no different to what has been for the last twenty years I've going to Shuttleworth.

It's not like they've booked monster trucks and banger racing, they are the display team for the Royal Air Force and fostering those relationships can only be a good thing for Shuttleworth.

I would add did a BAe Harrier ever really fit into "their product"?

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Agree. The Reds don't quite seem like a decent fit for what's billed as the Edwardian Pagent. More akin to something like the more general Season Premiere or something.

But at the same time, come on, Dan...

Dan O'Hagan wrote:Place was horrendous the last time they displayed there. Never seen so many vests and tattoos in one place.

Oh yes, rather. Down with that sort. Ruffians, the lot of them. *swoons*

:grin: :grin:

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

Wot, no Laurel and Hardy? :sad:
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

Elliott Marsh

Post by Elliott Marsh »

Bob Morcom said on Twitter (in response to a UKAR tweet) that "bidding for the Reds is done the year before and they have to bid for them at several shows in order to get one, with no certainty which, if any, show they will appear at". Ergo they would not have been requested specifically for the Edwardian Pageant.

Given the last time they were there the place sold out, getting them back seems like a sound business move if nothing else. Much like the Vulcan was, the Reds are a big family draw. If you can sell out that event on the back of that, you have money in the kitty to facilitate line-ups like Race Day and Fly Navy. Equally if even a small percentage of those families who were attracted by the Reds return to another OW show in future, that can only be counted as a success.

I'm not particularly bothered about seeing the Reds at Old Warden, but it won't affect my enjoyment of the show. The rest of the programme is shaping up nicely.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

To keep in the spirit, maybe the Reds pilots can wear Edwardian period costume when they display, perhaps add a frilly lace border on the parasol break? :pinkwafer:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

Well, if the Reds are on first then all the 'riff raff' will have gone shortly after their display has finished! :icecream:

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:Place was horrendous the last time they displayed there. Never seen so many vests and tattoos in one place.

Not exactly a fan of vests, tat's (and piercings probably) then? When was 'the last time' BTW?
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

King Cobra

Post by King Cobra »

Dan O'Hagan wrote:

You're not attending? Oh good. One more space on the fence line then. :tongue2:

King Cobra

Post by King Cobra »

Hope the four Sopwiths go up in formation. That would really float my boat.
As for the Reds, bring them on. As for the "stuck up sticky beaks" who are moaning about them attending, just stay away and let the rest of us enjoy the show.

Weather Watcher

Post by Weather Watcher »

I'd be happy to see the Reds at Old Warden again - perhaps they would like to invite a couple of fast friends from Coningsby to hang around in the vicinity to see off any unauthorised aircraft entering their airspace?

TKK 140

Post by TKK 140 »

Red Arrows confirmed.

Dan O'Hagan

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

TKK 140 wrote:Red Arrows confirmed.

Neil Armstrong walked on the moon too, apparently.

TKK 140

Post by TKK 140 »

Not whistling Dixie but the Triplane too!

Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Post by Jakub.Zurek »

Anyone know the identity of the visiting Dragon Rapide?
And I was also wondering whether the Snipe is likely to fly as it had to sit out the last evening show.

Thanks!

Mike

Post by Mike »

The Snipe flew at Stow Maries a week ago

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

I wouldn't mind seeing the Red Arrows there, haven't seen them for some time. I'm no fan of tatt-oos though, that's for sure, and I understand that we are the most tatt-ooed nation on the planet! I blame Beckham for kicking it all off. :roll:

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

AlexC wrote:I wouldn't mind seeing the Red Arrows there, haven't seen them for some time. I'm no fan of tatt-oos though, that's for sure, and I understand that we are the most tatt-ooed nation on the planet! I blame Beckham for kicking it all off. :roll:

Haven't seen (so far) on the website about road closures and display axis for the Red Arrows display on Sunday
What do you call a horse that lives nextdoor?? - A Neigh-bour!
Whisky Connoisseur

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

The road at the end of the runway is always closed during the display now.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Is the Gladiator flying again yet? If not, the new Hurricane airborne again would be good. :smile:

st24

Post by st24 »

capercaillie wrote:Is the Gladiator flying again yet? If not, the new Hurricane airborne again would be good. :smile:

Not since its ahem, little excursion into the local countryside... You have a free Sunday then??

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

st24 wrote:
capercaillie wrote:Is the Gladiator flying again yet? If not, the new Hurricane airborne again would be good. :smile:

Not since its ahem, little excursion into the local countryside... You have a free Sunday then??

Amazingly yes, although if I survive the build-a-bear workshop this Thursday, I 'm not sure. :surrender: :grin: