Race day 1 October

Discussion forum for all things Shuttleworth
Mike

Re: Race day 1 October

Post by Mike »

I'll be there regardless. Even if we just get to see the cars trundling up and down the hardstanding in front of the hangars, it will still be a day out with friends, a sociable lunch in the restaurant and a last chance to look around the stalls before the off-season.

st24

Post by st24 »

Latest forecast shows it "breaking up a treat"..... :confused: :grin:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

tuska2

Post by tuska2 »

Look on the bright side, you won't need a brolly unless you want to do a Mary Poppins, the grass will be too wet for the vehicle race, so its sit in the Cafe all day!

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

BOOK ONLINE

Weather reports for Sunday’s Race Day event are currently quite unsettled so we have taken the decision to close online booking today. That will enable us to prepare the site for parking for our pre-booked numbers should there be heavy rain before or on the day. This includes laying down matting on areas of paddocks 1 and 2, and making the North park suitable for use, with blue badge holders on paddock 1. Those parked on North Park will have a slightly longer walk to the aerodrome, though we will be running passenger buggies wherever possible.

In the event of rain on the day aircraft will remain in the hangar for as long as possible, and free pilot led tours will be running in the hangars. A decision on the flying programme will be taken at 8.30 on Sunday morning based on the conditions, and an update posted on here our website, Twitter and Facebook.

We, of course, hope for a dry day and action packed day to end what has been a fun filled season, thank you for your understanding and support.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

BBMF have cancelled the LLA day on Sunday.

Probably a better course of action for OW too I would think - waste of time and money surely to weather proof the showground for a washout?
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Mike

Post by Mike »

Not at all. There will still be an event, even if the flying is cancelled. The same thing happened three or four years ago with a WWI airshow that was washed out, and a good time was had by all of us who still turned up. There's more to Old Warden than just pretty pictures of topsides in the sunshine. Snipes in the twilight, for example.

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

I know that you're putting a bit of a 'brave face on it', but the weather does sounds dire. I'll have to wait for next year now, which is a bit of a shame as I'd intended getting a Shuttleworth calender while I was there, but what yer gonna do as Tony Soprano would say? :sad:
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

Big Dave

Post by Big Dave »

I bought tickets for that cancelled WW1 show and also stayed locally the previous night so by the time I'd driven there and back it was the best part of several hundred pounds down the drain.

I thought I'd play it safer this time by getting up early on Sunday (I live in Derbyshire) but a decision isn't being made until 8:30, after I'd have left home -
too late to be of any help to people who have a long journey.

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

Tad dramatic there! If it's a cost-saving exercise, decide right now not to go? Even Chesterfield is only 2 & a wincy-bit hours from Old Warden! Load the car, check the website, make the decision!
You could be there before 11am & likely not have missed anything! :wink:
Me, I'm staying in bed. As Clint says, Man's gotta know his limitations!

Big Dave

Post by Big Dave »

Stagger2 wrote:Tad dramatic there! If it's a cost-saving exercise, decide right now not to go? Even Chesterfield is only 2 & a wincy-bit hours from Old Warden! Load the car, check the website, make the decision!
You could be there before 11am & likely not have missed anything! :wink:
Me, I'm staying in bed. As Clint says, Man's gotta know his limitations!

Not dramatic at all. For a decision on whether flying is going ahead to be made half an hour before the gates open is, in my view, too late. I'm a pensioner and can't afford to throw away the best part of £50 on tickets for an event that may be cancelled after I depart on a two and a half hour journey to attend. I also suffer from severe arthritis which, on a bad day, means a handful of pain killers is needed and so I can't drive - I'm well aware of my limitations!

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

SUNDAY 1 OCTOBER

Today’s update.

We are intending to fly aircraft, the programme will be dictated by the weather conditions and will be restricted but we will do our best to fly what is possible to make it a good show.

Free hangar tours will be running between 10.00-11.00 with guides.

Pilot chat will be at 11.00 as usual, the discovery tent, traders and Make & Paint are all here. The House is open 10.00-14.00 with freshments and ‘1920s’ re-enactor historians on hand and Swiss Garden is also open.

Update on vehicle sprint/parade to come.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

phreakf4

Post by phreakf4 »

Mike wrote:........There's more to Old Warden than just pretty pictures of topsides in the sunshine.......

Absolutely correct. True also of any other air show.

Were I not currently recovering from a total hip replacement and not yet able to resume driving I would be there today. Indeed, I nearly managed to get there but the friend who would have driven us there (using my car) has family commitments today.....
nothing is confirmed at a show until its u/c hits the tarmac or it is running in for its display.....

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

We all have our differing opinion on what constitutes both fun, and value for money. An overcast or wet airshow likely to be heavily impacted by the conditions is neither of those things for me. :up:

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

Currently predicting 15-17 mph SW wind & maximum 20% precipitation for the flying period. There will almost certainly be vehicle 'parades' & some flying of suitable aircraft for the conditions. I commend the enthusiasm of the attendees, but a 'classic' Shuttleworth it aint gonna be!
I don't think there is/was anything scheduled to display today that won't be there on a sunny day next year? I'm out...I won't be investing! :cuppa:

Ryan.

Post by Ryan. »

Shuttleworth did well considering. Lysander put on a great display, really showing what a manoverable aircraft it can be. Thought the Pitts' race was a little underwhelming as there was no over taking, without that it's just some flat flypasts'. A disappointing end to Shuttleworth but couldn't have been helped, certainly not the normal turn out either.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

What flew in the end? Big crowd?

Big Dave

Post by Big Dave »

Provost
Sea Hurricane
Chipmunk