• Deperdussin
• Avro Triplane
• Blackburn Monoplane
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Re: Race day 1 October

Post by Wissam24 »

If that list lasts the months then wow, count me in!
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

Elliott Marsh

Post by Elliott Marsh »

That list is the stuff of dreams for vintage enthusiasts. Four Chiltons, three Swifts, two Mews, two Cygnets, Mystery Ship, Comet, Hawk Speed 6... Just wonderful. You couldn't have dreamed of that kind of line-up anywhere a few years ago.

Understand they're expanding the ground attractions to include more vehicles too. Given their popularity last year, that's a shrewd move. Old Warden's great at seamlessly combining aerial and ground displays to present something more than "just" an air display. Has Shuttleworth ever been better?

Spotty_Jag

Post by Spotty_Jag »

Genuinely haven't heard of half of those aircraft types... :confused:

hmeasures

Post by hmeasures »

Spotty_Jag wrote:Genuinely haven't heard of half of those aircraft types... :confused:

A great excuse to use this fantastic website called Google, then!

A cracking line up, last years Race Day was sublime.

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

A great line up indeed, however it's a bit...samey..., isn't it?
The themed days work really well and Shuttleworth have pulled some stunning displays out of the bag recently but I would like to see the themed days moved about. For example: Race Day closed the year in 2016, so for 2017 make it the August show. Fly Navy was in June last year, this year put it in September maybe. Just a thought...
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

tankbuster

Post by tankbuster »

[quote="The Baron"]A great line up indeed, however it's a bit...samey..., isn't it?
[quote]

I thought the same when people were saying what a great line up. It's almost identical to last year with less aircraft. I appreciate that there is a limited stock of airframes to play with but to go year on year I would need some originality. It was excellent though so if I can I will probably attend again this year.
Trevor C
recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics

Elliott Marsh

Post by Elliott Marsh »

There are obviously a fair few aircraft that appeared last year, but plenty of new ones...

Mystery Ship, two Comper Swifts, a new Chilton, Miles Hawk Speed 6, Turbulent, Cygnet pair, six Pitts and I think a few of the Collection's aircraft weren't at the 2016 show. Of that little lot, only the Speed 6 and Cygnets were at the first Race Day back in 2014 and I haven't seen them displaying in yonks.

Even if all of the above had been at the last RD, they are largely types you literally won't see outside Old Warden, and fit perfectly with the racing theme. There are 50 aircraft on that list - pretty sure that's similar or larger to last year's list and if not, it's about the same size as Flying Legends. For the vintage enthusiast, it really doesn't get much better than that! And there are still months to go, with the prospects of more being added, particularly with some very tasty restorations edging towards flight.

Honestly, I think it just boils down to enthusiasts never being happy with anything and analysing the minutiae of aviation events against a very specific and flexible criteria...

Beech18Boy

Post by Beech18Boy »

I wonder if it will make like planned.

Mike

Post by Mike »

Sopwith Dove, Miles Hawk Speed Six and Magister, Bristol M1c now off the list.

We've gained a couple more vintage Slingsby sailplanes, a Casutt and a couple of Extras.

I wonder if there is still a chance for the long-awaited Camel to make its debut.

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

Shame about the no-shows, but still, count me in! Praying for good weather.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

jalfrezi
UKAR Staff

Post by jalfrezi »

It's looking very samey to last year and the year before, shame about the Speed Six dropping off the list as I would have liked to see that again.

A possible debut Camel appearance and good weather might swing it for me though....

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Presently rain and strong winds forecast. Perfect. :hide:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Ryan.

Post by Ryan. »

The weather. :roll: Hoping for some sort of improvement. Shame the Miles Speed 6 has dropped off the list though.

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

capercaillie wrote:Presently rain and strong winds forecast. Perfect. :hide:

Damn and blast it! Looks like I'll be doing something else on Sunday, probably ticking off one of the items on my wife's to do list. :sad:
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

tuska2

Post by tuska2 »

AlexC, I'd still go for OW myself, based on the principle that a crap day at an airshow beats a crap day at home!

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

tuska2 wrote:AlexC, I'd still go for OW myself, based on the principle that a crap day at an airshow beats a crap day at home!

You have a point, but does a 300 mile round trip and spending £30 entry really constitute a better day when you see no flying at all and get absolutely soaked through to the skin seeing nothing but what you have seen many times before?
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Xray833

Post by Xray833 »

capercallie wrote " You have a point, but does a 300 mile round trip and spending £30 entry really constitute a better day when you see no flying at all and get absolutely soaked through to the skin seeing nothing but what you have seen many times before?"

It`s over 300 miles each way for me so no.

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Weather does look pretty rotten. Any mileage in delaying it a week I wonder?
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

LN Strike Eagle wrote:Weather does look pretty rotten. Any mileage in delaying it a week I wonder?

A very pragmatic suggestion, and with so much of the infrastructure permanent at Old Warden one which could well be feasible. Surely better than a wash out/write off.

Wx could be rotten next week too, but at least the odds of a decent day are doubled.

clearstone

Post by clearstone »

The infrastructure may be permanent, but the CAA Article 86 permission, NOTAMS, pilot commitments etc. probably are not. :sad:

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Wrexham Mackem wrote:
LN Strike Eagle wrote:Weather does look pretty rotten. Any mileage in delaying it a week I wonder?

A very pragmatic suggestion, and with so much of the infrastructure permanent at Old Warden one which could well be feasible. Surely better than a wash out/write off.

Wx could be rotten next week too, but at least the odds of a decent day are doubled.

Hence the suggestion. It's not like there are any other shows to clash with either. Even if some of the visiting pilots had other plans, there's enough based there to put on a show of some sort.

I can't make this weekend anyway, but even if I could, there's no way I'd bother with the forecast as it is.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

BrawlerO

Post by BrawlerO »

Yep, next week works better for me too, thanks!
:grin:

Elliott Marsh

Post by Elliott Marsh »

On balance, I've got to think that's a totally impractical solution I'm afraid - putting aside the aforementioned CAA permissions and pilot availability which are highly likely to kill any such last-minute rescheduling stone dead, there are myriad other considerations. Volunteers, engineers, catering staff, car park staff and others will have been engaged months ago, and I'd assume road closures have been agreed with the police long in advance. Even if it could be done, there'd be the epic task of issuing refunds to those who can't do the revised date, not to mention the political ramifications of sacking off visiting pilots (and their engineers etc.) who will have set aside the date several. That's probably the tip of the iceberg in all honesty, but if anyone with experience of these things can set me straight, by all means please do!

On the plus side, if it gets totally battered by the weather, at least it's one final time to catch up with friends (some of whom then disappear until May!) and look over some sexy vintage racing cars. Ever the optimist...

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

I've got to agree with Elliott. I think that unfortunately it's far too difficult to change the date this close to the event. There's far more to the organization than simply having pilots, ground crew and aircraft available.
With the weather forecast as it currently stands I probably won't be making the trip from Dorset, as much as I would like to, which is a great shame.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.