Race Day - Sunday 7th October 2018

Race Day - Sunday 7th October 2018

Postby Jakub.Zurek on Tue 10 Jul 2018, 11:41 am

VISITING AIRCRAFT
P-51D Mustang ‘Tall In The Saddle’- Peter Teichman’s last public display
Spartan Executive
LeVier Cosmic Wind
Taylor Titch
Midget Mustang
Druine D.31 Turbulent
Miles Messenger
Beagle Pup
Miles Falcon
Miles Hawk Speed Six
Pitts: x6
Extra: x2
Slingsby T.13 Petrel
Grob Viking T1
Rhönsperber Glider
Aviat Husky
Mew Gull: G-HEKL
Travel Air Type R Mystery Ship
Comper Swift: G-LCGL
Comper Swift: G-ECTF
Chilton: G-JUJU
Chilton: G-DWCB (static)

COLLECTION AIRCRAFT
Blackburn B2
DH60X Moth
Southern Martlet
Hawker Sea Hurricane 1B
DH60 Cirrus Moth
DH82a Tiger Moth
Miles Magister
DHC Chipmunk T.22
Percival Piston Provost T.1
DH88 Comet
Percival Mew Gull
Chilton: G-AESZ
Chilton: G-CDXU
Comper Swift
Sopwith Camel
Avro 504K
Supermarine Spitfire Mk Vc
Avro Triplane IV
Bristol Boxkite
Blackburn Monoplane Type ‘D’
Deperdussin
User avatar
Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Re: Race Day - Sunday 7th October 2018

Postby capercaillie on Fri 27 Jul 2018, 2:11 pm

Apart from seeing PT's final display, nothing to pull me in for that one I'm afraid. The same types year on year performing long high circuits becomes a little long in the tooth, especially three or is it four years in a row. :dizzy:

Time for OW to alternate some new themes year on year, freshen it up a little.
"The surrogate voice of st24"
User avatar
capercaillie

Re: Race Day - Sunday 7th October 2018

Postby The Baron on Fri 27 Jul 2018, 10:06 pm

capercaillie wrote:Apart from seeing PT's final display, nothing to pull me in for that one I'm afraid. The same types year on year performing long high circuits becomes a little long in the tooth, especially three or is it four years in a row. :dizzy:

Time for OW to alternate some new themes year on year, freshen it up a little.


I said this a couple years ago...
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.
User avatar
The Baron

Re: Race Day - Sunday 7th October 2018

Postby LN Strike Eagle on Fri 27 Jul 2018, 11:28 pm

Me too. I've attended a couple of them based primarily on weather forecasts, but I don't much like the theme; there are very few air racing types that hold any appeal to me, and as you say, the format of repetitive passes gets quite stale after one, let alone three or four in the same display.

The 'balbo' finale to this year's Fly Navy was quite similar - would be far better flying topsides round the bend for that segment rather than straight and level passes for 10 minutes, although the bend had gone missing at that show.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"
User avatar
LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Re: Race Day - Sunday 7th October 2018

Postby AlexC on Sat 28 Jul 2018, 10:01 am

I know it's been mentioned a few times before, but does anyone actually know if the bend is back or not?
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP
User avatar
AlexC

Re: Race Day - Sunday 7th October 2018

Postby Jakub.Zurek on Sun 29 Jul 2018, 11:37 am

AlexC wrote:I know it's been mentioned a few times before, but does anyone actually know if the bend is back or not?


I attended Fly Navy and then the Military Pageant and it's back :up:

-Pete Kinsey in the Thunderbolt gave plenty of topsides at the Military Pageant, as opposed to none in the Hawker Fury ISS.
-Lancaster crew flew their topsides around the tower towards the Swiss Garden.
-WWI stuff notably flew plenty of topsides around the bend compared to Fly Navy.
User avatar
Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Re: Race Day - Sunday 7th October 2018

Postby st24 on Sun 29 Jul 2018, 1:06 pm

Jakub.Zurek wrote:
AlexC wrote:I know it's been mentioned a few times before, but does anyone actually know if the bend is back or not?


I attended Fly Navy and then the Military Pageant and it's back :up:

-Pete Kinsey in the Thunderbolt gave plenty of topsides at the Military Pageant, as opposed to none in the Hawker Fury ISS.
-Lancaster crew flew their topsides around the tower towards the Swiss Garden.
-WWI stuff notably flew plenty of topsides around the bend compared to Fly Navy.

I wouldn't agree with that. Certainly the visitors (Jug, Lanc) smashed the corner but the residents avoided it again but did fly lower and more top sides than the Navy show which, by comparison was dull. I also noted that moving further right from the hallowed corner yielded more topping action.
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!
User avatar
st24

Re: Race Day - Sunday 7th October 2018

Postby Jakub.Zurek on Sun 29 Jul 2018, 3:05 pm

st24 wrote:I wouldn't agree with that. Certainly the visitors (Jug, Lanc) smashed the corner but the residents avoided it again but did fly lower and more top sides than the Navy show which, by comparison was dull.


Really? Interesting that you thought that.

I definitely thought the bend was back to normal, same pilots in the same aircraft made it really easy for me to make that conclusion during their displays. I mentioned the Lanc and Jug in my previous post, but the home team such as the Magister, Triplane, Camel, Sea Hurricane, Anson etc all seemed to fly round the bend and give plenty of topsides in their displays too.
User avatar
Jakub.Zurek
UKAR Staff

Re: Race Day - Sunday 7th October 2018

Postby AlexC on Mon 30 Jul 2018, 12:03 pm

Many thanks gents.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP
User avatar
AlexC

Re: Race Day - Sunday 7th October 2018

Postby Mike on Fri 31 Aug 2018, 10:01 am

Looks like PT has dropped out and been replaced on the list by TF-51D 'Contrary Mary'.
Mike

Re: Race Day - Sunday 7th October 2018

Postby LN Strike Eagle on Fri 31 Aug 2018, 1:31 pm

Mike wrote:Looks like PT has dropped out and been replaced on the list by TF-51D 'Contrary Mary'.

Heard about this last week. The only thing that made this tempting to me was his big send-off. Sad.
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"
User avatar
LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Re: Race Day - Sunday 7th October 2018

Postby Mike on Sun 02 Sep 2018, 10:25 pm

LN Strike Eagle wrote:...Sad.

"Make airshows great again!" :lmao:
Mike

Re: Race Day - Sunday 7th October 2018

Postby Tom105 on Sat 08 Sep 2018, 7:46 pm

Spitfire PL983 has been added for the second display in a row, if its like the last show very happy to see it return!
Thomas
Tom105

Re: Race Day - Sunday 7th October 2018

Postby Abbo46 on Sat 08 Sep 2018, 9:48 pm

Appear to have lost: One Extra & Miles Falcon. Gained: Bulldog, M.1C & Se.5A.
User avatar
Abbo46

Re: Race Day - Sunday 7th October 2018

Postby Roughcutter on Sun 09 Sep 2018, 12:21 pm

The Baron wrote:
capercaillie wrote:Apart from seeing PT's final display, nothing to pull me in for that one I'm afraid. The same types year on year performing long high circuits becomes a little long in the tooth, especially three or is it four years in a row. :dizzy:

Time for OW to alternate some new themes year on year, freshen it up a little.


I said this a couple years ago...



Still beats Duxford by a country mile (IMHO) :smile:
a woman phoned the BBC to say that "a hurricane is on the way" Well if you're listening, don't worry it isn't.
User avatar
Roughcutter

Re: Race Day - Sunday 7th October 2018

Postby MiG_Eater on Mon 01 Oct 2018, 8:59 pm

Just seen a video of the Albatros with engines running... I can dream...
MiG_Eater

Re: Race Day - Sunday 7th October 2018

Postby pb643 on Tue 02 Oct 2018, 7:45 am

I wonder if this is the final flying list?

I had a feeling it was often updated on the Monday prior to the show, but obviously not on this occasion.
pb643

Re: Race Day - Sunday 7th October 2018

Postby 5944 on Tue 02 Oct 2018, 11:34 am

Albatross should be static in Hangar 1.
5944

Re: Race Day - Sunday 7th October 2018

Postby Pen Pusher on Tue 02 Oct 2018, 11:41 am

Rain is still forecast for all day Saturday but sunny intervals on Sunday and a gentle breeze coming from the north so could be a bit cool.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DUXFORDfotoGALLERY
DfG on Facebook
User avatar
Pen Pusher

Re: Race Day - Sunday 7th October 2018

Postby Tom105 on Thu 04 Oct 2018, 8:53 am

Few changes to the line up lost the 2 based chiltons, also the se5a and avro triplane and the Rhonsperber but gained falcon 1, kite prototype, rv4, cessna 172f. weather looks alright too!
Gliders: Falcon 1, Kite Proto, Petrel
• Mock Air Race: DH60, DH60X, B2, Magister, Martlet, Chilton,
Spartan Executive
• F1 Racers: Ballerina, Taylor Titch, Midget Mustang
• Reno: Sea Hurricane, Mustang
• Kings Cup Tribute: DH60, Tiger Moth, Turbulent, Desoutter, Magister,
Chipmunk, Messenger, Bulldog, Ballerina, Hawk Speed Six, DH88
Comet, Mew Gull
• Lettice Curtis: Spitfire PRXI (John Romain)
• Comper Trio: Comper Swift x 3
• Pitts Race: Pitts x 6, RV4
• WWI Racers: Sopwith Camel, Avro 504K, Bristol M1C, Sopwith
Dove
• Schneider Trophy Tribute: Husky, Cessna 172F, AR501 Spitfire
• Famous Racers: Mew Gull x 2, Mystery Ship, DH88 Comet
• Edwardians*: Bristol Boxkite, Blackburn Monoplane, Deperdussin
• Static: Sopwith Tabloid (Brooklands)
Thomas
Tom105

Re: Race Day - Sunday 7th October 2018

Postby Orion on Thu 04 Oct 2018, 5:46 pm

http://events.royalaeroclub.org/eventuk.htm
Is it really the 7th, this site has it as 14th
David Mylchreest
Orion

Re: Race Day - Sunday 7th October 2018

Postby Mike on Thu 04 Oct 2018, 5:48 pm

Orion wrote:Is it really the 7th...

Yes.
Mike

Re: Race Day - Sunday 7th October 2018

Postby UKTopgun on Thu 04 Oct 2018, 6:12 pm

Light breeze forecast, perhaps a lovely end to the show season watching the Eds in fading Autumn light? Perfect.
UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Re: Race Day - Sunday 7th October 2018

Postby pb643 on Fri 05 Oct 2018, 8:35 am

UKTopgun wrote:Light breeze forecast, perhaps a lovely end to the show season watching the Eds in fading Autumn light? Perfect.

I'm convinced! :biggrin:
pb643

Re: Race Day - Sunday 7th October 2018

Postby SpitfireSpotter on Sat 06 Oct 2018, 3:24 pm

Hi all, very much looking forward to the show tomorrow, last visited for the Proms last year and I can't believe it's taken me over a year to return. Looks like a great line up.
Does anyone know what hot food traders are likely to be there? The website doesn't really say and I didn't pay attention last year due to bringing a packed lunch.
Is it anything like Duxford in price and selection or different?
Many thanks
SpitfireSpotter

Next

Return to Old Warden Air Displays

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest