Evening Air Display 1 and Summer Air Display Line-Ups...

Discussion forum for all things Shuttleworth
Lomcevak26

Evening Air Display 1 and Summer Air Display Line-Ups...

Post by Lomcevak26 »

...now posted online at Shuttleworth.org.

Evening Air Display 1 -

Historic Vehicle Parade
Sopwith Pup
Sopwith Triplane
Avro Triplane
Avro 504k
Avro Tutor
de Havilland Chipmunk
de Havilland DH82a Tiger Moth
de Havilland DH60 Moth
de Havilland DH60X Moth
de Havilland DH87b Hornet Moth
Team Guinot - Spectacular Aerobatics & Wing Walking
Miles Falcon
Bucker Jungmann
Dornier 28
Percival Piston Provost
Gloster Gladiator
Hawker Hind
Hawker Sea Hurricane 1B
Westland Lysander
Bristol Boxkite
Avro Triplane
Deperdussin
Blackburn Monoplane Type-D
Bleriot XI Monoplane

Summer Air Display -

de Havilland DH88 Comet - Taxy Only
Historic Vehicle Parade
Avro 19
Dornier 28
Bristol F2b Fighter
Bristol M1C
SE5a
Avro 504k
Chilton
Hawker Cygnet
ANEC
de Havilland Chipmunk
Southern Martlet
The Swift Aerobatic Team

Barnstorming
Miles Magister (Pair)
de Havilland Chipmunk

Avro Tutor
Bucker Bestmann
Klemm
Stieglitz
Blackburn B2
Bucker Jungmann
Ryan PT22
hawker Tomtit
Hawker Hind
Hawker Hurricane 1B
Percival Piston Provost
Gloster Gladiator
Westland Lysander
Bristol Boxkite
Avro Triplane
Deperdussin
Blackburn Monoplane Type-D
Bleriot XI Monoplane

No real surprises in either, but both still showcase the best of what Shuttleworth can offer. Swift Team will be nice to see at the Summer Show, but was expecting the RAF Hawk to be there too? Still, the line-up's labelled 'provisional', so might be scope for further additions before June I guess...

ChrisG

Re: Evening Air Display 1 and Summer Air Display Line-Ups...

Post by ChrisG »

Yakovlevz are due to display a duo at this event too according to their website.

EMarsh

Post by EMarsh »

Just a few words on tonight's show, as I'm writing this on my mobile phone from a Travelodge near the A1 that is mysteriously guarded by a lone cockrel..

Show had a decent turn out, particularly given the forecasts. Several aircaft (WWI clan, etc) were grounded by the strong winds, but nonetheless the Old Warden team put on a typically top-notch evening of quality flying action. The weather even broke to reveal sun and blue skies mid-way through!

Highlights for me were the Do28, John Turner in the DH60, Paul Stone in the Provost and Trevor Roche once again stealing the show in the Sea Hurricane.

Shame I was cameraless (my 400D was wounded in action at Mildenhall last month, but it was nice just to watch for a change.

Many thanks to all involved. Old Warden is a special place.

Rob Leigh

Post by Rob Leigh »

EMarsh wrote:Just a few words on tonight's show, as I'm writing this on my mobile phone from a Travelodge near the A1 that is mysteriously guarded by a lone cockrel..

Sounds like Hinxworth, I've been here for a couple of nights myself. He eats chilli peanuts (all I had in the car but he seemed to enjoy them) but won't leave you alone if you do feed him. If enough people order the chicken pie at the Little Chef he won't be around for long.

It's always a shame when the weather doesn't play ball because there's no less effort gone into the preparations for the show and these efforts are appreciated. All things considered we didn't do too badly, fingers crossed that conditions are better next time because I'm really starting to miss the Edwardians and the WW1 fleet.

Rob

EMarsh

Post by EMarsh »

Rob Leigh wrote:
EMarsh wrote:Just a few words on tonight's show, as I'm writing this on my mobile phone from a Travelodge near the A1 that is mysteriously guarded by a lone cockrel..

Sounds like Hinxworth, I've been here for a couple of nights myself. He eats chilli peanuts (all I had in the car but he seemed to enjoy them) but won't leave you alone if you do feed him. If enough people order the chicken pie at the Little Chef he won't be around for long.

It's always a shame when the weather doesn't play ball because there's no less effort gone into the preparations for the show and these efforts are appreciated. All things considered we didn't do too badly, fingers crossed that conditions are better next time because I'm really starting to miss the Edwardians and the WW1 fleet.

Rob

His days may be numbered - they'd run out of chicken by the time my brother and I arrived. :ghost:

Manonthefence

Post by Manonthefence »

June 7th Summer Air Display changes
In
Sopwith Pup
P-51D - Hangar11
RAF Hawk

Out
ANEC
Cygnet
Bristol M1c
Avro Tutor

SEMAE

Post by SEMAE »

Looks like the Summer Show on 7 June 2009 will just get away with it regards the weather. Just seen the latest BBC forecast an if correct the persistent rain should be well north by the time the display starts. Probably some showers still about though.

Looking forward to the show. Nice line up. :smile:

Thanks

Martin

EMarsh

Post by EMarsh »

The weather had better play ball - I need my rotary engine fix! It really has been too long. :sad:

Here's hoping for a good, safe show - and blue skies!

Is that a formation of pigs I see on the horizon...

SuffolkBlue

Post by SuffolkBlue »

Looks like that rain band will be dumping a lot of the wet stuff on Old Warden till about 10am, with showers following. I reckon I’ll be heading there anyway, fingers all crossed though!!

Rick

Post by Rick »

Has the Sea Hurricane got floats, i think it might need them today !
Slackers of the World unite !
Tomorrow.

SEMAE

Post by SEMAE »

I have just got back from Old Warden and it was quite sunny up to 4pm with some nice blue sky. Then it became cloudy. No rain at all during the flying. There were showers close by later but they either missed the airfield or did not reach it. Schedule went more or less according to plan but but too much of a breeze for the Edwardians to fly.

The weather forecast was bang on so I suppose we were lucky with the timing. The forecast kept crowd level down.

A very good day of flying. :smile:

Cheers

Martin

Rob Leigh

Post by Rob Leigh »

Considering the monsoon I drove through on the way over I had very low expectations and even considered turning back after my 5th or 6th close call aquaplaning along the M25. As if by magic the sun appeared beore lunch and I felt warm at an Old Warden show for the first time in ages.

The flying was very good and the smell of castor oil reminded me why I keep going back to Old Warden time after time.

SuffolkBlue

Post by SuffolkBlue »

I was so so close to going today……everything packed….but as soon as I opened the back door, the heavens just open. I made the gamble in staying put. Glad you guys who went managed the avoid some real heavy showers that have hit my area for most of the day!!

EMarsh

Post by EMarsh »

Fantastic show this afternoon. Great banter, surprising weather and top-notch displays all round.

:clap: :cool:

Oh, and someone needs to bottle that castor oil smell.

longstop

Post by longstop »

For the7th set off in rain , hail and mini tornados and came close to doing an 'about turn' - but thanks to the weather I found over Old Warden I'm glad I did n't. The sun actually was shining most of the afternoon. Great afternoon's flying. Stayed at Hinxworth and was ready with the peanuts for the bird - but they were n't needed: Used the Extra Services down the road rather than the (semi derelict?) Little Chef next door - did n't quite know what might be in the burgers! :wink: