Pisa Air Show 1981

Pisa Air Show 1981

Postby Wingnutt on Sun 17 Apr 2011, 10:44 pm

I posted these photos on another forum some time ago, but I'm hoping that they will be new to sufficient members of this forum to make it worth while posting them here as well. I've also managed to clean them up.

Back in 1981 I was in Pisa and was delighted to find that the Italian Air Force at Pisa San Giusto was putting on an air show at that time. Here is a selection of my best photos from Sunday 7th June 1981.

The main resident unit 46 Aerobrigata naturally had a strong presence with their G.222s, C-130Hs plus a preserved C-119.

S.208M of 303 Gruppo

SF.260

G-91Y of 8 Stormo

G-91R of 2 Stormo

Carabinieri (Police) AB.206

Italian Army AB.206

MB.326

Italian Navy Atlantic

Italian Air Force HH-3F Pelican

I'll post some of the flying display tomorrow.
Wingnutt

Re: Pisa Air Show 1981

Postby Wingnutt on Mon 18 Apr 2011, 7:52 am

I didn't have a great camera in those days, so these aren't aprticularly good technically, but there were some interesting subjects.

One of the first items was a 46 Aerobrigata Hercules demonstrating its MAFFS - Modular Airborne Fire Fighting System.

Italian Air Force LET Blanik

Probably the highlight for me was this quartet of 20 Stormo TF-104Gs

MB.339A of the RSV (Reparto Seprimentale Volo - Experimental Flight Unit)

G.222 of the RSV

And the display finale, the Frecce Tricolori in their last season on the G-91PAN

I'm not sure if this is officially designated a G-91PAN - by this time there weren't enough of the original pointy-nosed Ginas for a full team, so there were some G-91Rs making up the numbers.

On the way off the airfield this less complete C-119 was visible, in a rather rural-looking setting.

From the terminal on the civil side (Pisa Galileo Galilei) there was a view of a visiting C-141

And finally, one for any civil fans who might have hung on this far:
The past is a foreign country: they fly different aeroplanes there.
Wingnutt

Postby TomG on Mon 18 Apr 2011, 9:15 am

Very interesting indeed; love those Gina's and the'104 four-ship in particular.

Thanks, Tom
TomG

Postby Chrisse on Mon 18 Apr 2011, 2:30 pm

Thanks for sharing. Something some shows could learn from is parking so many of the locals in the static park, nice touch! :clap:
Chrisse

Postby st24 on Sun 24 Apr 2011, 11:29 am

Brilliant stuff :clap: . Pity non Frecce Ginas only made the trek to these shores only a couple of times :sad:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!
st24

Return to 'Golden Oldies' Photos