International Air Tattoo 89 RAF Fairford

International Air Tattoo 89 RAF Fairford

Postby Wrexham Mackem on Thu 20 Apr 2017, 2:22 pm

Time to delve into that dusty archive once again folks, and this time another IAT.

IAT 89 was the third at RAF Fairford. The first in 85 had been a little off-key but an encouraging new venue, 87 had ben a return to form but blighted by rotten weather. 1989 was quite the opposite. The weather was outstanding - the best over the full event that I can remember and we went from the deluges of 87 to parched grass, pleas on the PA to get people to drink, and ambulances flitting between sun stroke victims.

The theme this year was Sea Search, and it brought in some choice participants for both static and flying displays. 89 was also notable for being the single Air Tattoo that had an SR-71 flying, at least on a public day.

Starting with the Sea Search theme then

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

and a handful of static display
Image

Image

Image

Image

some arrivals and on to a flying display selection
Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

our old friends the Royal Jordanian Falcons, still in the Pitts
Image

and also still in Pitts Specials, Halcones from Chile
Image

Image

Image

The Green March from Morocco returned, still tied together for the first half of their routine. I'd like to see them return again one day. Halcones too.
Image

Image

Back to heavy metal. These were the days of "European Tanker Task Force" at Fairford
Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

having first appeared with SF-260's in 83, Patrouille Martini presented a new mount here. Breitling Jet Team ancestry of course
Image

Image

Image

a flyer, but red-carded on Saturday and a none participant on Sunday
Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

some USAF big hitters now
Image

Image

Image

Image

there was nothing quite like a Blackbird. The sight, the sound.
Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Hard to follow that!.. so here is an Hurel-Dubois HD-34!
Image

and some miscellaneous departures
Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

and finally.. some nostalgia. Firstly, the FIAT enclosure, shot from the Photobus as we waited to cross the intersection on Sunday morning. Anyone recognise themselves? The mass of people on the left is the general public queueing for the busses, which were a priority walk-on from FIAT. I've never had so much verbal abuse in my life. :grin:
Image

and a flick through the programme too, with its proper map and all. The SAC-attack section in the flying programme at 2 o'clock was an awesome hour
Image

Image

Image

Hope that brought back some memories folks.

cheers,
Nige.
its time to kick the tyres and light the fires
User avatar
Wrexham Mackem

Re: International Air Tattoo 89 RAF Fairford

Postby steved on Thu 20 Apr 2017, 4:28 pm

Happy days, remember it well, especially the weather. Great post. :clap:
User avatar
steved

Re: International Air Tattoo 89 RAF Fairford

Postby Seamus on Thu 20 Apr 2017, 4:58 pm

You are on fire at the moment :clap:

Many thanks for posting these, this was my first IAT at the tender age of four, and while I can remember very little of it, I do have vague memories of seeing the Blackbird and B-52, and IIRC it was scorching hot! It's great to see what else I saw that I can't remember though :up:

Did the GR5 replace the GR3 on one of the days, or was it a late addition not included in the program? And did the Blackbird only fly on the Sunday?!
My shots on Flickr and Airliners
User avatar
Seamus

Re: International Air Tattoo 89 RAF Fairford

Postby Russ on Thu 20 Apr 2017, 6:08 pm

Superb. What a show. :clap: :cool:

Got a funny feeling this might have been my first IAT (or possibly '88), but have no obvious recognition of it.

What did the Canberra do to get red carded?
User avatar
Russ

Re: International Air Tattoo 89 RAF Fairford

Postby Spiny Norman on Thu 20 Apr 2017, 8:28 pm

That Blackbird shot with the parachute is a belter. Terrific stuff and thanks for posting. Nice to see the best (in my humble opinion) RAF F-4 scheme on show too.
User avatar
Spiny Norman

Re: International Air Tattoo 89 RAF Fairford

Postby Wrexham Mackem on Thu 20 Apr 2017, 10:40 pm

Thanks lads.

Seamus wrote:Did the GR5 replace the GR3 on one of the days, or was it a late addition not included in the program? And did the Blackbird only fly on the Sunday?!


One either day I think Seamus, I'd have remembered if both flew both days. Strangely I annotated the programme but didn't note the GR5 replacing the GR3 one day. The Blackbird was Sunday only.

Russ wrote:Got a funny feeling this might have been my first IAT (or possibly '88), but have no obvious recognition of it.

What did the Canberra do to get red carded?


You have the choice of 87, 89, or 91 Russ, so 89 is probably the one. At least you can claim to have been there!

I've never heard an official explanation for the Canberra pilot being ticked off, but the routine had some slow, steep turns over the buildings far side of he runway, so I've always assumed it was for low flying. For sure, the aircraft departed early, not hanging about once told he wasn't flying on Sunday. I think he left Saturday afternoon. Anyone else got any recollections?

Spiny Norman wrote:That Blackbird shot with the parachute is a belter.


Thanks Norman. 500mm mirror lens I think, which was a swine to focus and I never really got on with it. The Kodachrome slide is better than this scan. :wink:
its time to kick the tyres and light the fires
User avatar
Wrexham Mackem

Re: International Air Tattoo 89 RAF Fairford

Postby Spiny Norman on Fri 21 Apr 2017, 9:31 am

Wrexham Mackem wrote:Thanks lads.

Thanks Norman. 500mm mirror lens I think, which was a swine to focus and I never really got on with it. The Kodachrome slide is better than this scan. :wink:


Was that the Tamron fixed f8? I never owned one but when having a shot it seemed like looking through a pair of thick socks.
User avatar
Spiny Norman

Re: International Air Tattoo 89 RAF Fairford

Postby Wrexham Mackem on Fri 21 Apr 2017, 10:06 am

The very same Norman. They were all the rage at the time, and did well in lab tests - the mags loved them. But in the real world a nightmare. The fixed f8 aperture made the viewfinder like the black hole of calcutta, blacking out the split screen, and worst of all there was no infinity stop so focussing was a pain.

Looking at that shot again, I'm not convinced it was the mirror lens actually.

I can remember when I had a good memory!
its time to kick the tyres and light the fires
User avatar
Wrexham Mackem

Re: International Air Tattoo 89 RAF Fairford

Postby Airwolfhound on Fri 21 Apr 2017, 11:49 am

Fabulous shots, love the low level Bucc shot :clap:

I can almost hear the squeals of anguish from people all these years since, if they went on the Saturday and then later found out the SR-71 only displayed on the Sunday :lol: :lol:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24874528@N04/

Agile, mobile and hostile ;-)
Airwolfhound

Re: International Air Tattoo 89 RAF Fairford

Postby st24 on Fri 21 Apr 2017, 12:01 pm

Wrexham Mackem wrote:The very same Norman. They were all the rage at the time, and did well in lab tests - the mags loved them. But in the real world a nightmare. The fixed f8 aperture made the viewfinder like the black hole of calcutta, blacking out the split screen, and worst of all there was no infinity stop so focussing was a pain.

I used one during 1991 - never again!! Reach was great , quality was dodgy at best.

Another stonking walk down memory lane Nige. If I can add-
Canberra - flown by the same display pilot (and much the same routine) as in '99 (T4) and '06 with the PR9s retirement. I still don't know what he did but I do recall him departing on the Saturday afternoon and immediately banking hard right and rapidly disappearing from view! I can only imagine Wyton was closed so I have no idea where he went?! A real mystery that one and such a rare event for a RAF driver to get a ticking off (or "interview without coffee"!) especially such an experienced one. :ninja:
Are you sure the GR5 is from this show Nige as the only record I have is a static 1Sqn example? Certainly both GR3 and 5 were on the circuit that year but never at the same show?? :confused:
That CAF Buffalo was naughty - was it an early Saturday arrival and early Sunday departure?- I can't quite recall but quite a few people missed it (ahem, capercaillie...)
The 09 arrivals on the Friday were frantic, if only for trying to find somewhere to park! I dumped my Manta in some bushes and quite obviously lied to several Policemen about it not being mine, luckily I got away without a ticket - clamping and/or towing weren't really in vogue back then! I think the Victor took the arrivals trophy with a superbly fast and low entrance closely followed by the Blackbird. Also still remember my mate (he who is not welcome in Belgium!) on seeing 2xA-10 rock up in the circuit (a common occurrence in the day!) and saying "be great if they were Flying Tigers!" and sure enough 2 shark mouthed jets from England AFB hove into view. A complete surprise even for the pre-internet days -as you can see they didn't make the programme.
Fabulous show in all ways - I think it took that show to finally dry us out after the '87 drenching!!
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!
User avatar
st24

Re: International Air Tattoo 89 RAF Fairford

Postby NickB on Fri 21 Apr 2017, 12:52 pm

Great pics of a great show - happy memories! The only time I have ever seen a SR-71 fly.

My God was it hot - unbearably so. I can still remember being shocked how much a warm (yuck!) can on Coke was being sold for - something like £1.50 which was a lot in 1989 to a 17 year old!

Are you sure the Hurel-Dubois HD-34 was from 1989? I just can't remember it, unless it was only present on the Saturday?

Some fantastic airshows back then :yahoo:
NickB

Re: International Air Tattoo 89 RAF Fairford

Postby Wrexham Mackem on Fri 21 Apr 2017, 1:14 pm

Canberra - flown by the same display pilot (and much the same routine) as in '99 (T4) and '06 with the PR9s retirement. I still don't know what he did but I do recall him departing on the Saturday afternoon and immediately banking hard right and rapidly disappearing from view! I can only imagine Wyton was closed so I have no idea where he went?! A real mystery that one and such a rare event for a RAF driver to get a ticking off (or "interview without coffee"!) especially such an experienced one.


Absolutely. He really took his ball home, but I've never heard reference to it ever since in anything even semi official. Must've been altitude though, or maybe going off script.. its a mystery.

Are you sure the GR5 is from this show Nige as the only record I have is a static 1Sqn example? Certainly both GR3 and 5 were on the circuit that year but never at the same show??


You correctly smelled a rat! I've just been into the folder where the original K64s are. Took me about two minutes to work out the GR5 was taken at Church Fenton a few weeks before! Well that explains why I haven't adjusted the programme eh? well done and thanks Geoff.

That Buffalo was ace. Hard lines Caper.. I feel for you but 24 hours away from the hallowed ground on an IAT weekend? I hope you had a note containing a valid excuse :grin: :grin:

I was on the base in FIAT on Friday (note to modern FRIATers - there was only one level of membership then and it was Friday to Monday), but thinking back I can't quite remember when park and view was introduced. Basically to clear the approaches during arrivals. Obviously later than 89.

I can almost hear the squeals of anguish from people all these years since, if they went on the Saturday and then later found out the SR-71 only displayed on the Sunday


heheh! can you imagine the 'outrage' if that was to happen now?
its time to kick the tyres and light the fires
User avatar
Wrexham Mackem

Re: International Air Tattoo 89 RAF Fairford

Postby Russ on Fri 21 Apr 2017, 1:31 pm

Wrexham Mackem wrote:You have the choice of 87, 89, or 91 Russ, so 89 is probably the one. At least you can claim to have been there!

Ha. 1989 it'll be then. I was only seven, so that's my excuse. :wink: I must have gone on the Saturday, as I've definitely never saw the SR-71 fly.

Wrexham Mackem wrote:
I can almost hear the squeals of anguish from people all these years since, if they went on the Saturday and then later found out the SR-71 only displayed on the Sunday


heheh! can you imagine the 'outrage' if that was to happen now?

I think there would be lots of pitchforks. :grin:
User avatar
Russ

Re: International Air Tattoo 89 RAF Fairford

Postby st24 on Fri 21 Apr 2017, 2:11 pm

Wrexham Mackem wrote:
That Buffalo was ace. Hard lines Caper.. I feel for you but 24 hours away from the hallowed ground on an IAT weekend? I hope you had a note containing a valid excuse :grin: :grin:

I was on the base in FIAT on Friday (note to modern FRIATers - there was only one level of membership then and it was Friday to Monday), but thinking back I can't quite remember when park and view was introduced. Basically to clear the approaches during arrivals. Obviously later than 89.


Caper made the show but I seem to recall he missed the Buffalo for some reason - I'm sure he'll regale us with the finer details - I'm sure he's let it go by now... :grin: :dummy:

As for long winded tales, many have claimed to have had a part to play in setting up P&V, all I will say is on the Wednesday of IAT'93 an "official" asked me why we were all standing out on the road risking life and limb and what IAT could do about it. I pointed out the "spare" ground that ran from the threshold to the perimeter fence and said if that could be used (at a fair price!) you would pretty much clear the road of photographers. (cheapskates, freeloaders and general ne'er-do -wells of course still remain to this day!) Lo and behold the very next morning (I'm sure it happened that quickly!) the area was fenced off and we were allowed to park in the campsite and walk the tortuous journey via the drainage pits into the hallowed ground that is now part of airshow folklore. So yes, I will claim it was me that gave you all P&V and I haven't received a single award, knighthood, IAT trophy or one iota of a plaudit for it. But I'm not bitter. Much.
You're welcome.. :win: :king: :cuppa:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!
User avatar
st24

Re: International Air Tattoo 89 RAF Fairford

Postby Wrexham Mackem on Sat 22 Apr 2017, 5:00 pm

Geoff, you are a leg end. Surely you will have a Blue Cone of Honour one day, to commemorate notable contribution to RIAT history. :king: :win:

In preparation for an upcoming thread on IAT 91, I have just been to the darkest corner of a kitchen cupboard to retrieve some items of tat that I thought were of that time. I have surprised myself, in that these items were (of course!) born out of the Libya raiders rather than the Gulf war. I remember the first one appearing together with all of the other squadron tat on sale beside LN F-111s, then within two years a table full with entries seemingly for each and every squadron in USAFE had become a staple on the circuit, among the model shops and garden gnome stalls. So 1989 they would have been at their peak as a 'collectible' I think. My collection stopped at two. How they've survived I don't know, but this tattiest of tat should bring back a few memories..

Image

Image

:lol:
its time to kick the tyres and light the fires
User avatar
Wrexham Mackem

Re: International Air Tattoo 89 RAF Fairford

Postby mushbuster on Sat 22 Apr 2017, 6:07 pm

st24 wrote:
Caper made the show but I seem to recall he missed the Buffalo for some reason - I'm sure he'll regale us with the finer details - I'm sure he's let it go by now... :grin: :dummy:

As for long winded tales, many have claimed to have had a part to play in setting up P&V, all I will say is on the Wednesday of IAT'93 an "official" asked me why we were all standing out on the road risking life and limb and what IAT could do about it. I pointed out the "spare" ground that ran from the threshold to the perimeter fence and said if that could be used (at a fair price!) you would pretty much clear the road of photographers. (cheapskates, freeloaders and general ne'er-do -wells of course still remain to this day!) Lo and behold the very next morning (I'm sure it happened that quickly!) the area was fenced off and we were allowed to park in the campsite and walk the tortuous journey via the drainage pits into the hallowed ground that is now part of airshow folklore. So yes, I will claim it was me that gave you all P&V and I haven't received a single award, knighthood, IAT trophy or one iota of a plaudit for it. But I'm not bitter. Much.
You're welcome.. :win: :king: :cuppa:

ST24, I have photos of amongst many aircraft EF-111A 67-0052, C-141 67-0166 and U-2 80-1079. The photos were taken from P&V west in either 1985 or 1987. Park and view was in operation at each of the Fairford shows in the 80s and at each end of the airfield. Also I knew one of the folks on base who was working the admissions and taking the money that year (IAT had USAF volunteers man p&v in the 80s), it was IIRC only £1 per day. Probably Just as well no awards were offered. :dizzy:
mushbuster

Re: International Air Tattoo 89 RAF Fairford

Postby DerekF on Mon 24 Apr 2017, 7:25 am

Great memories there. I went on the Saturday and I remember being sunburnt by about 9am. I think I left at 4ish - and I haven't many photos of the day. I do recall the Buffalo taxying in while we were walking the static park.

My shots were posted a few years ago here.

http://forums.airshows.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=26604
User avatar
DerekF

Re: International Air Tattoo 89 RAF Fairford

Postby Georgeconna on Mon 24 Apr 2017, 8:27 am

Nice thread here, This was My first Air Tattoo after just taking up work in Heathrow. Traditionally my Dad took us to Biggin Hill mostly.

I Went on the Saturday so gutted to see the 71 as a flyer on the Sunday.

I had to go to Nellis to finally see one fly in 97.

The HD.34 is always a stand out for me there as I had never seen one before, The Buffalo also was smashing.

Rushing back to Hounslow to drop the photos in for Developing the Photo guys managed to burn my Negatives so only came away with a few shots....ah well. Great to see them here. WOW!!!

cheers

George
Cheers

George

2017 shows
Yeovilton via Webcast from My Armchair.
Foynes and Bray for my sins.
Thats me done for 2017
Georgeconna

Re: International Air Tattoo 89 RAF Fairford

Postby st24 on Tue 25 Apr 2017, 9:46 am

mushbuster wrote:
st24 wrote:
Caper made the show but I seem to recall he missed the Buffalo for some reason - I'm sure he'll regale us with the finer details - I'm sure he's let it go by now... :grin: :dummy:

As for long winded tales, many have claimed to have had a part to play in setting up P&V, all I will say is on the Wednesday of IAT'93 an "official" asked me why we were all standing out on the road risking life and limb and what IAT could do about it. I pointed out the "spare" ground that ran from the threshold to the perimeter fence and said if that could be used (at a fair price!) you would pretty much clear the road of photographers. (cheapskates, freeloaders and general ne'er-do -wells of course still remain to this day!) Lo and behold the very next morning (I'm sure it happened that quickly!) the area was fenced off and we were allowed to park in the campsite and walk the tortuous journey via the drainage pits into the hallowed ground that is now part of airshow folklore. So yes, I will claim it was me that gave you all P&V and I haven't received a single award, knighthood, IAT trophy or one iota of a plaudit for it. But I'm not bitter. Much.
You're welcome.. :

ST24, I have photos of amongst many aircraft EF-111A 67-0052, C-141 67-0166 and U-2 80-1079. The photos were taken from P&V west in either 1985 or 1987. Park and view was in operation at each of the Fairford shows in the 80s and at each end of the airfield. Also I knew one of the folks on base who was working the admissions and taking the money that year (IAT had USAF volunteers man p&v in the 80s), it was IIRC only £1 per day. Probably Just as well no awards were offered. :


Fair comment. I may have been bigging myself up a bit - I was referring to the extended viewing area at the East end where the real men hang out.. :smile: :cool: :snack: :win: :up:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!
User avatar
st24

Re: International Air Tattoo 89 RAF Fairford

Postby Mike Dodd on Mon 01 May 2017, 7:55 pm

Great post, and yes it was scorching! Luckily went on the Sunday and caught the SR71 also someone correct me if I'm wrong was this the last appearance of a Shack at the Tattoo- WL757 as I recall. Regarding the Hurel Dubois F BHOO this was there on the Sunday, did it also appear at a previous or following IAT or is my memory playing tricks in its old age!
User avatar
Mike Dodd

Re: International Air Tattoo 89 RAF Fairford

Postby capercaillie on Wed 17 May 2017, 1:20 pm

st24 wrote:That CAF Buffalo was naughty - was it an early Saturday arrival and early Sunday departure?- I can't quite recall but quite a few people missed it (ahem, capercaillie...)


I think it was a very late Friday arrival - 8pm ish, long after my bedtime :grin: , the last Fairford before I started using FIAT, so I never attended departures either :wall: I saw it but it was parked on the end of the line by where the famous trees area is now, with ice cream vans blocking all possibilities of getting a shot. Only one I've seen, still annoyed, because they look so good. :mad:

Great post again Nige! :clap: So much lovely stuff. Mine are on print from this year so much harder to scan.
"The surrogate voice of st24"
User avatar
capercaillie



Return to 'Golden Oldies' Photos

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Stagger2 and 11 guests