Alconbury USAF Air Tattoo 1983

Photos older than five years old (preferably much older)
st24

Alconbury USAF Air Tattoo 1983

Post by st24 »

Aaah, dear old Alcy. A super air show venue with the sun behind you, nicely arranged statics with a HAS background, the usual friendly USAFcrews, burgers, a nice line up along with the F4s F5s and TR1s home based. Add to this free beer and food in the press tent and it was great day out! Only down side for the public was even though the runway was huge, the public area was very small, centred on a very small piece of grass by the tower.
My first vist to AR was in 1975, my uncle was keen to see the brand spanking new F16 but I was won over more by the last UK show by the awesome Belgian "Slivers" F104 duo. Anyway, thats another story.
I didn't grace the Huntingdon airbase again until 1983 - very much last show of the year on Saturday 24 September. 1983 was not a good year for weather (heard that before?!) and I recall some beefy showers during the day. It was a fairly typical USF open house with good RAF & USAF participation along with a German Navy Atlantic and the Vikings F104 duo (reduced to a solo as one went u/s). Notable was the last appearance of a 15Sqn Buccaneer :sad: , Brawdy Hunters :sad: :sad: and 50Sqn Vulcan, a very rare T43, still based at Mather AFB and 4 visiting F4Es from the 4TFW, Seymour Johnson. Home based RF4s and F5Es were pretty rare items in the flying too and the recently installed 95RS TR1s remained on the deck. Forgive the poor scans and lack of shots, I must dig out the slides too.Feel free to join in...

Flying programme, contained within a Mildenhall type A5 calendar

'80s stalwart - Hunter F51 G-HUNT

601TCW CH53C, Sembach. Differed from the Woodbridge based HH53s by having no AAR probe

29Sqn Phantom FGR2

RF4C duo in lovely camo..

RF4C getting airborne

This Anson appeared at several shows..

Static MFG2 F104G

Another 80s display act - Gnat XS101/G-GNAT

No display complete without the Marlboro team..

One of the 2 static 4TFW F4Es, 2 more were far side

Back with us again this year, Spitfire 1a, AR213

New to me at this show, a T43A, befor ethey were called Gators..

Another newbie - a 58 MAS C12A
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Lomcevak26

Re: Alconbury USAF Air Tattoo 1983

Post by Lomcevak26 »

Again, very nice and kudos for including the Flypro!

Intrigued by the 'Mighty Monk' at 1211...wonder what that was?!

st24

Post by st24 »

Lomcevak26 wrote:Again, very nice and kudos for including the Flypro!

Cheers Paul. The mighty monk was a black painted souped up Chipmunk that I'm sure I only saw at this show and didnt take one photo of! IIRC it was due to perform an inverted crossing of the channel that month but having googled, can't find any mention of such!

I'll rattle off more Alconbury's soon - 85-93...

Lomcevak26

Post by Lomcevak26 »

st24 wrote:
Lomcevak26 wrote:Again, very nice and kudos for including the Flypro!

Cheers Paul. The mighty monk was a black painted souped up Chipmunk that I'm sure I only saw at this show and didnt take one photo of! IIRC it was due to perform an inverted crossing of the channel that month but having googled, can't find any mention of such!

That's interesting - an aircraft/ display I'd certainly never heard of. Inverted channel crossing hmmm...seem to remember reading Geoffrey Tyson or similar doing the same in a Tiger Moth?! (post war, but unsure of the year)

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

I remember that the dark gray of the SJ Phantoms was nearly charcoal black and very dulll while the Spang Phantom parked nearly next to them had a much lighter dark gray - close to RAF Dark Gray - and was pristine

Happy days.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

Flyer

Post by Flyer »

Re Mighty Munk. Found this photo http://www.abpic.co.uk/photo/1099003/ says it flew acoss the channel inverted below the photo.

st24

Post by st24 »

Flyer wrote:Re Mighty Munk. Found this photo http://www.abpic.co.uk/photo/1099003/ says it flew acoss the channel inverted below the photo.

:shock: :clap: Excellent, thanks so much for that flyer, I did search but found nothing. Great, my memory aint so bad after all! :grin: