Prop Power

Prop Power

Postby Fred Martin on Thu 29 Oct 2009, 9:07 pm

I've been reminiscing lately with friends of the days of colour and the diversity of aircraft types you could expect to see around and about when visiting airshows and airfields , compared with the dismal shades of grey which is now the norm . Mainly for the benifit of our younger members here's a small selection of some recent scans of those long gone days , photograped between 1965-1992 , and not a jet in sight .
Fred Martin

Re: Prop Power

Postby F-86 on Thu 29 Oct 2009, 9:52 pm

Another superb set, thanks for posting. :clap: :clap:
F-86

Postby GliderGuider on Thu 29 Oct 2009, 10:12 pm

A great collection of photo's. I particularly like the shackleton. Thanks for posting these.
GliderGuider

Postby CASAMAC on Thu 29 Oct 2009, 10:42 pm

Fred,
Sorry, but there's a Vampire in shot 5!!!!
Other than that, thanks for posting these, utterly fantastic memories.
CASAMAC

Postby Lomcevak26 on Thu 29 Oct 2009, 10:57 pm

CASAMAC wrote:Fred,
Sorry, but there's a Vampire in shot 5!!!!

And Canberras in the Dak shots! :smile:

Absolutely superb shots - many thanks for posting. Like the Harvard reflection a lot. Out of interest - where was the Beverley taken?
Lomcevak26

Postby Blackbird on Thu 29 Oct 2009, 11:17 pm

A really great selection :tongue:

Andy :smile:
Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Postby Westy on Fri 30 Oct 2009, 12:20 am

I follow all of your oldies threads Fred and this is possibly the best - please keep on reminiscing :clap:
Westy

Postby JohnH on Fri 30 Oct 2009, 7:36 am

Great set of shots. My kind of aircraft. Nice to see an Argosy and Beverley.
JohnH

Postby barkin mad on Fri 30 Oct 2009, 8:21 am

Superb set :yahoo:

----------------------
barkin mad

Postby Fred Martin on Fri 30 Oct 2009, 5:28 pm

Sorry about the jets, there's a Canberra PR9 in there as well , but the good news is that I got a new pair of specs today ! The Beverley was shot at RAF Dishforth in the mid 60's . Cheers , Fred
Fred Martin

Postby Graf Zeppelin on Fri 30 Oct 2009, 6:56 pm

Lovely stuff! Nice to see Varsities and an SCBS Hastings again! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Cheers Phil

Excellere Contende
Graf Zeppelin

Postby eng3 on Fri 30 Oct 2009, 7:22 pm

Hi, a bit of real quality there, an excellent set. Thanks for sharing :clap: :clap: :clap:
eng3

Postby T_J on Fri 30 Oct 2009, 9:53 pm

Great work, Fred. Another vote for the Shackleton. The C-130K looks great in that camo scheme!

:clap: :clap:

TJ
T_J

Postby st24 on Sat 31 Oct 2009, 11:04 pm

Fred Martin wrote:Sorry about the jets, there's a Canberra PR9 in there as well , but the good news is that I got a new pair of specs today ! The Beverley was shot at RAF Dishforth in the mid 60's . Cheers , Fred

And to be pedantic, theres a FrAF Paris behind the Danish Dak, really pedantic - the PR9 is a 16Sqn B(I)8 and really really pedantic - turboprops are technically "jets".. :grin:

Again, a super selection Fred, all lovely types - I'm getting quite exited by all those Varsities...:drool:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!
st24

Postby hunterxf382 on Sun 01 Nov 2009, 12:15 am

:clap: What a lovely and nostalgic set of photos..... thank you for sharing them on here.

It seems weird to think that out of all those shown, the only one that is still certainly very much alive and flying is the RAE Dak, now with BBMF of course...
Pete Buckingham
Volunteer in Aviation
Former RAF Engineer
http://hunterxf382.weebly.com/
hunterxf382

Postby Mister Tee on Mon 02 Nov 2009, 3:24 pm

A superb set of photo's from a more interesting period in aviation. The Shackelton is absolutely beautiful.

Mr T
Mister Tee

Postby Hamble Flyer on Mon 02 Nov 2009, 5:06 pm

Some evocative images there !

Where was the Beverley photo taken?

Great to see the RAFASC two tone brown schemes with the white area around the flight deck. The C-130 looks good in particular with this scheme complete with red/white prop tips

Very Nostalgic !
Hamble Flyer

Postby F-86 on Mon 02 Nov 2009, 5:58 pm

st24 wrote:
Fred Martin wrote:Sorry about the jets, there's a Canberra PR9 in there as well , but the good news is that I got a new pair of specs today ! The Beverley was shot at RAF Dishforth in the mid 60's . Cheers , Fred

And to be pedantic, theres a FrAF Paris behind the Danish Dak, really pedantic - the PR9 is a 16Sqn B(I)8 and really really pedantic - turboprops are technically "jets".. :grin:

Again, a super selection Fred, all lovely types - I'm getting quite exited by all those Varsities...:drool:

Is that a PR9 behind the Argosy?
F-86

Postby chally2 on Mon 02 Nov 2009, 11:36 pm

Great pics, love 50's/60's British transport aircraft :smile:
chally2

Postby dazzagreenwood on Tue 03 Nov 2009, 10:16 am

I do like the Shackleton shot.
The Avro Lancaster. The greatest Bomber of WW2!!!!
dazzagreenwood

Postby st24 on Tue 03 Nov 2009, 6:11 pm

F-86 wrote:
st24 wrote:

Is that a PR9 behind the Argosy?

You took too much interest in the background of that gorgous Argosy pic ! :grin: Yes, yes it is - Finningley '83 I believe, my pic of it has a lot of people in it! :sad:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!
st24

Postby Kokpit on Tue 03 Nov 2009, 6:45 pm

Wow, now there's a really unique set of pics, an absolute pleasure to look through!

Having amassed more time in the RAF than I care to remember, it is pleasing to see paint schemes that pre-date my service! LOL.

My only suggestion Fred would be to insert an empty line or 2 between each image, it can make them easier on the eye rather than some blending into others.

If you have more, please be sure to post them too.

Cheers,

Kev.
Kokpit

Postby danspuggti on Tue 03 Nov 2009, 7:55 pm

:yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Brilliant!!! Got to love this "Golden Oldies" section :biggrin:
Same old sh*t.............just happening on a different day!!!
danspuggti

Postby rdchawk on Thu 05 Nov 2009, 1:01 pm

quick question shot 6 : is that the brittannia now at Kemble??
Known as Red 13,
Proud member of the Silverstone Marshalling Team
rdchawk

Postby Lumix on Thu 05 Nov 2009, 1:10 pm

Superb post & scans! :clap: Those were the days.....

Love the RAF C130 & RAE Argosy!

More please!
Lumix

Next

Return to 'Golden Oldies' Photos