The RAF Lyneham Golden Oldie thread

The RAF Lyneham Golden Oldie thread

Postby AMB on Tue 10 Nov 2009, 11:42 am

Following a few photos I have posted from my long association with RAF Lyneham, I decided to start a photo thread of photos taken there during the 1960s and '70s. Living near Lyneham, my first ever visit was in 1959 as a wee small lad, when my father took me to a "meet the Britannia" open day, after the first Britannias were delivered there. The Comet 2s were much in evidence then, with the Comet 4Cs following in 1962. Then I joined the Air Training Corps as a cadet in 1963 (it had to be done!) and had my first flight in Britannia XM517 on 28th July 1964. From then on, getting free flights became addictive and I would 'hitch-hike' over to Lyneham in the school holidays at every opportunity. It then became apparent that the Britannias and Comets were not the only attraction there, as Lyneham is a 24 hour Master Diversion Airfield and many visiting transport aircraft were staging through there for various reasons and I started logging what I saw and furtively took a few photos. If you asked permission was nearly always granted, but you had to be aware of the odd 'jobsworth' who didn't know the difference between an aviation enthusiast and a 'spy'. :whistle: Excitement and adrenaline went into 'overdrive' as I saw at least one or two interesting visitors on every visit.
Here are the first few exotics transits that I encountered. We had just sold Hunters, Jet Provosts and Wessex helicopters to the Iraqi Air Force, so Iraqi Antonov An-12s started coming in to collect spares about once a month from 1963 right up to I recorded the last one in February 1975.

Here is '505' in the original grey finish

The in the mid '60s the Iraqi An-12s appeared with a white top decking as shown on '638 in 1966

In July 1965 three Ghana Air Force Caribous staged through Lyneham returning to the DHC factory in Canada for major overhaul.

A couple of times, the sole Ghana AF HS-125 visited also during 1968-69
Adrian
AMB

Re: The RAF Lyneham Golden Oldie thread

Postby bigcrow on Tue 10 Nov 2009, 3:03 pm

Great stuff Adrian & excellent scans.
bigcrow

Postby wezgulf3 on Tue 10 Nov 2009, 3:19 pm

What an amazing thread !!

Love the An-12's But that Hawker is top class :clap: :clap:

Cheers Wes...
wezgulf3

Postby capercaillie on Tue 10 Nov 2009, 3:22 pm

Very nice, like the Caribou and 125, the 125 is quite similar to the way the RAE machine first looked? :clap: :biggrin:
"The surrogate voice of st24"
capercaillie

Postby TonyO on Tue 10 Nov 2009, 3:28 pm

Great images Adrian.

Seems an apt thread for a base due to close in the next few years, getting fantastic visitors both then and now...
Do you want the Aladeen news or the Aladeen news?
TonyO

Postby APG on Tue 10 Nov 2009, 6:34 pm

Love seeing these classic shots :clap:
APG

Postby AMB on Tue 10 Nov 2009, 10:13 pm

Before I add any more visitors, perhaps I should set the scene and show some of the based aircraft - the Britannias of Nos.99 & 511 Squadrons (of which I managed to fly in 15 examples!) and the Comets of No.216 Squadron.

XL638 was the only RAF Britannia to crash, when it overran the runway at Khormaksar, Aden shortly after I took this shot
from the doorway of another one on 12 September 1967.

Another Brit shot which just happened to be the il-fated XL638 again, this time still with 'Transport Command' titles and
shot from the window of a 216 Sqn. Comet 4C as we taxied out in 1966. That was the year I was converting from B/w
film to colour slides and this must be one of my last b/w shots
Adrian
AMB

Postby AMB on Thu 12 Nov 2009, 1:10 am

From the early '60s right through to when the Shah of Iran was overthrown in 1979, the most common foreign visitors to
Lyneham were the Herks of the Imperial Iranian Air Force. Lyneham was almost their second home, with the first four C-130Bs
transitting to and from the States, followed by most of the C-130Es and 'Hs being delivered through there.
The 'Bs and early 'Es were delivered in natural metal with full size national markings and a lovely badge on the port side.
Here is 5-112 in July 1968

Then in 1970, they decided to have them camouflaged and here is the first camouflaged example, still with full-size national markings

They weren't satisfied with the sand/brown camo, so the next few deliveried were done in a more cream and sand scheme and now with tiny markings.

......still not satisfied, they had another go and this time the camouflage colours were accepted.

Whenever I could, I would go in the cockpit to get the c/n and tie it up with the serial. Imagine my horror when I went in the cockpit of one
I thought I had been inside before only to find they had changed the serial, which was evident by the stencil-type overpainting.
Apparently they had crashed a few and renumbered the whole lot to fill the gaps!! :shock:
Adrian
AMB

Postby TonyO on Thu 12 Nov 2009, 9:36 am

Those Iranian Hercs are glorious...!!!

Here's one that might make you feel old, taken by my Grandad in 1963 I think...

Do you want the Aladeen news or the Aladeen news?
TonyO

Postby APG on Thu 12 Nov 2009, 5:36 pm

Every shot's a winner, really good to see these "classics"
APG

Postby SKYRAIDER on Thu 12 Nov 2009, 7:23 pm

Big thanks for posting all of these, they bring back some memories of spotting trips down to Lyneham to see just what you have got in these photos. Great days for sure,
Cheers,
Rob
SKYRAIDER

Postby Hamble Flyer on Fri 13 Nov 2009, 10:33 am

Great shot of the Britannia there Tony O. You can almost hear the roar of the engines.

Whilst serving in Southampton UAS I sent myself on a weeks vacation detachment to Brize in 1976 and flew a few times in the Britannia. Most memorably I was given the redundant radio operators seat on the flight deck for a day return trip to Gibraltar. Four and a half hours each way, plenty of food and drink en-route and a quick dash into the Mess in Gib for a couple of bottles of duty free :smile:
Hamble Flyer

Postby wezgulf3 on Fri 13 Nov 2009, 6:37 pm

I love this thread :clap: :clap:

those Iranian Herc's are blinding, being only 29 i have no memerory of any of these so thanks for sharing!!

Wes...
wezgulf3

Postby KJ994 on Fri 13 Nov 2009, 7:38 pm

Great thread and superb shots, AMB. Thanks for kicking it off and I hope you can keep them coming.
KJ994

Postby full360 on Fri 13 Nov 2009, 11:22 pm

Absolutely priceless pics! :yahoo:
full360

Postby AMB on Sat 14 Nov 2009, 2:41 pm

KJ994 wrote:Great thread and superb shots, AMB. Thanks for kicking it off and I hope you can keep them coming.

Well it was your idea that this should have a separate thread. Now it's difficult to know what to show, so let's see some RAF visitors next?

This was a nice weather diversion from Boscombe Down, the A&AEE's 'Comrod' or 'Nimmet', before they fitted the AEW nose on the front in June 1973.
A 115 Squadron Varsity in July 1968 during a lunchbreak rest during ILS calibration duties at Lyneham

As I have already shown some Comet 2s, it might be timely to show you what Lyneham's Comet 2 gate-guard looked
like on the day it arrived from storeage at Henlow. Here is XK699 arriving outside the main gate on 16th October 1986.
Six months later it was unvealed ny HRH Princess Anne, fully restored and repainted.
Adrian
AMB

Postby lightningdes on Wed 25 Nov 2009, 2:47 pm

Out of a blinding set of photos,I can't decide which is the best-Iraqi Cub or the Ghanian 125. :clap: :clap: :smile:
lightningdes

Postby bimmerboy on Fri 27 Nov 2009, 8:40 pm

hi the last time i saw XW626 it was at bedford a few of us were stripping it for bits for the comet 1 at the mossie museum i still have one of the nose doors complete with the start of the fairing for the nose bulge good old days
bimmerboy

Postby Blackdog on Sun 29 Nov 2009, 4:02 pm

brilliant thread! The pics are of excellent quality considering their age and of such great subjects too!! keep them coming :clap: :clap:
If you like helicopters then have a look at my Flickr here; www.flickr.com/photos/111508006@N07/
Blackdog

Postby AMB on Thu 03 Dec 2009, 10:45 pm

Being a 24 Hour Master Diversion Airfield and home of the RAF's Hercules fleet since 1967, Lyneham has attracted many visitors from the world's C-130 fleets.
Whether they wish to arrive/depart over a weekend, obtain some spares en-route, or share the RAF's C-130 simulator at Lyneham, the reasons for visits are numerous. Many nightstop en-route to the States and others come to collect British spares and equipment. As Libya is busy restoring relationships with the West, photos of their Air Force aircraft adorned with green disc roundels have become common in recent years, due to the press being embraced at the Lavex shows.
During the early day's of Ghadaffi's rule, Britain had a good realtionship with Libya and their C-130 piliots came to Lyneham to train on our simulator, whilst the aircraft was loaded with British electronics and equipment.
Here is '118', one of their C-130Hs loading up at Lyneham on 24th May 1972 wearing the old red/white/black roundels.

On one occasion, one of the Libyan C-130 crew was taken ill whilst visiting Lyneham, which gave a wonderful opportunity to see an even rarer Libyan Air Force
machine, their sole Lockheed Jetstar '001' which arrived around 1700 on 28th October 1972 with a replacement pilot and was only on the ground for
around 30 minutes before departing back to Libya, but just long enough for a couple of shots in the failing light.
Last edited by AMB on Sat 05 Dec 2009, 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Adrian
AMB

Postby wezgulf3 on Thu 03 Dec 2009, 11:43 pm

WOW that Jetstar has just become my Favorite pic on this post :clap: :clap:

Wes.
wezgulf3

Postby lightningdes on Sat 05 Dec 2009, 8:45 pm

Aaaaarrgh you're killing me,those Libyans :drool: .Keep them coming please :clap:
lightningdes

Postby AMB on Mon 21 Dec 2009, 10:06 pm

Well, time to add a few more to this thread, I guess.
The first Herk for the RAF arrived from Marshalls on 1st August 1967. I was at home on school holidays at the time and just happened to glance out of the window to see a strange BROWN camouflaged C-130 fly over the house on approach to Lyneham. Now I had seen silver and camo USAF Herks, but never one in this colour and it struck me that this was a RAF one and the first time I had seen one going into Lyneham. I quickly donned my ATC cadet uniform and got out to Lyneham with camera as quick as I could.
Yes indeed it was the very first one, XV190, on delivery to No.36 Squadron and no official photographer there to record this historic moment, so a man's got to do, what a man's got to do (well this schoolboy had to improvise, anyway!)
Consequently, this shot appeared in all the mags at the time.

More exotic foreign visitors passed through during my RAF tour there. Here we see a Philippine Air Force L.100-20, PI-99,on 20 August 1973,which had actually flown to Newcastle, but ended up there with a cracked windscreen, so came down to Lyneham to get the RAF to fit a replacement.

The Indians started sending An-12s to Lyneham in the '70s to collect spares for its Hunters and Sea Kings.
Here is L650 of 44 Squadron on 16 January 1974.

However the biggest surprise was when the last ever visit to the UK by an Indian Air Force Super Connie was on 3rd August 1973 to Lyneham and not Northolt for some reason, which was BG583's usual destination.
Being a modeller, I was curious to know what the camo pattern was like on the wings of this C-130H of the United Arab Emirates Air Force and if it had roundels above both wings or only on one. Only one way to find out - pretend you are an RAF electrician changing a light bulb on an apron lightning stancion and climb up it to get a shot looking down!
Adrian
AMB

Postby KJ994 on Tue 22 Dec 2009, 3:27 pm

Wish I had a back catalogue like this. Brilliant, please keep 'em coming!
KJ994

Postby Lumix on Tue 22 Dec 2009, 4:09 pm

Now that's nostalgia! Good stuff! :clap:
Lumix

Next

Return to 'Golden Oldies' Photos