Hurel Dubois 34

Photos older than five years old (preferably much older)
Cessna954

Hurel Dubois 34

Post by Cessna954 »

I'm working my way gradually through circa 10,000 transparencies and negatives scanning them in to digital format, and then adding their full details on to a database. I came across a batch of slides of the Hurel Dubois HD.34, and thought I would share them with anyone interested on UKAR.

For those that attended IAT Fairford in the 80's and early 90's, you're probably familiar with the HD.34 that visited on a few occasions.

The following is courtesy of wikipedia.

The Hurel-Dubois HD.31, HD.32, and HD.34 were a family of civil aircraft produced in France in the 1950s, based on Maurice Hurel's high aspect ratio wing designs. Tests with the Hurel-Dubois HD.10 research aircraft had validated Hurel's ideas about the practicality of such wings, and the French government agreed to sponsor the construction of two prototypes of a medium-range airliner utilising this same principle. These aircraft, the HD.31 and HD.32 were conventional designs in all respects other than their unorthodox wings, and differed from one another only in their powerplants, although both were later converted to use the same engines. The twin-tails originally fitted were also later replaced by a large single tail fin, and with their new engines and tails, they were redesignated HD.321.01 and HD.321.02.

Air France originally placed an order for 24 aircraft to use as feederliners, but these were cancelled before they were constructed.

A batch of eight aircraft was, however, ordered by the Institut Géographique National. The aircraft's wings made it ideal for long-duration, low-speed flight, ideal for aerial photography and survey work. These machines were designated HD.34 and were fitted with an extensively-glased nose and a retractable nosewheel. They flew with IGN between the late 1950s and mid 1970s. A single example remains airworthy, operated by the Association des Mécaniciens-Pilotes d'Aéronefs Anciens.

In 1993 I had the opportunity to fly in the Association des Mécaniciens-Pilotes d'Aéronefs Anciens aircraft, F-BHOO, whilst I was visiting for the Air Salon. We flew from Etampes and I recall formating with some other aircraft including a Texan.

Preserved at the IGN's base at Creil

Preserved at Le Bourget

eng3

Re: Hurel Dubois 34

Post by eng3 »

Hi, what a really interesting aircraft, I didn't know it existed, great photos & thanks for sharing :clap: :clap:

raiford

Post by raiford »

I missed getting a photo of the HD.34 in the air by about 30 seconds at Fairford back in '89 or '91, forget which, just as I arrived at the 27 end P&V car park I noticed the HD.34 just lifting off from 09, oh s**t a shot of her in the air would be great I thought to myself, by the time I had got out of the car, opened the boot, removed the camera from it's bag, she was gone just a bit too far for a decent piccie, never to be seen again :mad:

SKYRAIDER

Post by SKYRAIDER »

Great to see these, i just love this aircraft, i remember it well at fairford, thanks for posting all the photos they bring back some memories of a past IAT.

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Great to see these shots and the background info too Cessna.

Such an oddity, its surprising we don't see more of it, I love to see it lumbering along again.

Its a wonder you didn't get time to run off a few shots Raiford, it didn't cover ground at much of a rate as I remember. For the record, here it is lifting off from IAT 89

Cessna954

Post by Cessna954 »

by the time I had got out of the car, opened the boot, removed the camera from it's bag, she was gone just a bit too far for a decent piccie,

With a take-off IAS of 85kt I would have thought that you could have made a bacon buttie and still had time to get a dirty side on shot. :grin:

I have a friend that worked for Fairey Surveys out of White Waltham. He recalls being at some airfield in Saudi Arabia and hearing what sounded like a couple of Harvards in the distance, only for an IGN HD.34 to appear from the haze and eventually trundle in to land at the same airbase. That pair of Wright Cyclone 982 radials certainly sounded awesome.

I believe that F-BHOO is still airworthy and it would be great to see it back at a UK show at some point.

raiford

Post by raiford »

as I said I was just arriving at the car park and was unable to get the camera in time :smile: