Strathallan Collection 1981 (Updated 5-5-12)

Re: Strathallan Collection 1981 (Updated 5-5-12)

Postby Maisie on Wed 09 May 2012, 1:15 pm

Some lovely bits there, thanks! shame about the Comet, Whats the bumps for under the fuselage?
Flickr | My Website
Canon 60D, 1DMk2, G11
Sigma 50-500 Non-OS, 100mm Macro, 50mm f/1.4, 18-55 kit lens, Kenko 1.4TC
Maisie

Postby Davef68 on Thu 10 May 2012, 12:34 am

Maisie wrote:Some lovely bits there, thanks! shame about the Comet, Whats the bumps for under the fuselage?

The Comet was an ex-51 Squadron Signals Intelligence aircraft, inside it has racks for equipment instead of seats. The bumps were the radomes for the antennae. You could walk through it at the museum (Anyone got any photos of the inside?).

I remember my delight at visiting the Museum as a teenager - in those days, even after the auction, the thought of it closing and the airframes being scrapped/dispersed was unthinkable.

Must see if I can find my pics - the Lancaster had been painted in Bomber Command colours by the time I visited.

Dave
Davef68

Postby comet4 on Fri 11 May 2012, 4:15 pm

alanp wrote:Coming full circle, my brother is currently being checked out on the ex-Strathallan Moth G-ANFV/DF155 at Shempston. I'm looking forward to getting up with him over the summer.

alanp might be interested in this picture of DF155 at Auchterader that I've just come across.
Graham

comet4

Postby Skyflash on Sat 12 May 2012, 4:34 pm

Wonderful thread. I have very vague memories of being at a Strathallan Airshow in 1982 (well, I would only have been four at the time!) A real shame that the collection has dispersed.
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...
Skyflash

Postby bolshi on Sun 13 May 2012, 10:41 pm

I have a copy of the Christies auction catalogue for the sale of the Strathallan collection if anyone is interested I can scan the pages which contain not only the aircraft but their collection of spare parts too.

Bolshi
bolshi

Postby alanp on Mon 14 May 2012, 11:17 am

That's a great scan, it looks almost digital. Check here for shots of the Tiger last weekend : viewtopic.php?f=32&t=42678
alanp

Postby gordy on Tue 14 Aug 2012, 1:25 pm

sadly that tiger moth DF 155/ G-ANFV is the one that crashed this weekend at shempston airfield :sad:
gordy

Postby warferry on Tue 14 Aug 2012, 3:39 pm

Here are a few from my visit 1978, indeed far to go in those days from the south coast of England hope you guys enjoy these few additions.Image
Sycamore WA576 Strathallen '78 by warferry, on FlickrImage
Shackleton Strathallen '78 by warferry, on FlickrImage
Mossie RS712 Strathallen '78 by warferry, on FlickrImage
Miles M18 Strathallen '80 by warferry, on FlickrImage
Messenger G-AJOC Strathallen '78 by warferry, on FlickrImage
Dragon Rapide 4R-AAI Strathallen '78 by warferry, on FlickrImage
Creat0003 by warferry, on FlickrImage
Creat0001 by warferry, on FlickrImage
Comet Strathallen '78 by warferry, on Flickr
warferry

Postby alanp on Tue 14 Aug 2012, 6:06 pm

gordy wrote:sadly that tiger moth DF 155/ G-ANFV is the one that crashed this weekend at shempston airfield :sad:

Yes, a real shame, thankfully no major injuries to the chaps but the Moth's going to take a long time to get better: http://www.northern-scot.co.uk/News/Two ... 082012.htm
alanp

Postby foxfour on Tue 14 Aug 2012, 11:57 pm

alanp wrote:
gordy wrote:sadly that tiger moth DF 155/ G-ANFV is the one that crashed this weekend at shempston airfield :sad:

Yes, a real shame, thankfully no major injuries to the chaps but the Moth's going to take a long time to get better: http://www.northern-scot.co.uk/News/Two ... 082012.htm

I've heard it's an insurance write-off although that doesn't preclude someone with the necessary skills and cash re-building it.
Sunday was a bad day for Tiger Moths - another crash in Wales - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-east-wales-19240988
foxfour

Postby helicopterdcr on Sat 18 Aug 2012, 4:35 am

I'm happy to say that my ex-Strathallan Hornet Moth is still airworthy and based near Norwich. This great photo was taken by Jason Cork at Cromer on one of the few sunny days earlier in the Summer. I am always on the lookout for early pictures of my machine, to add to the history files I'm building. I have just one picture of her in a dismantled state at Strathallan (and a copy of the sale catalogue). Can anyone help out with other pictures?
Thanks,
Dave
helicopterdcr

Postby warferry on Sat 18 Aug 2012, 10:23 am

Hi Dave, Hope this shot of use taken at Stapleford Tawney 1956. Cheers Terry[imImage
Hornet Moth G-ADMT Stapleford Tawney by warferry, on Flickrg][/img]
warferry

Postby helicopterdcr on Mon 20 Aug 2012, 10:12 pm

Terry,
Thanks for that photo. I have another one taken at the same field, so it's good to get confirmation that she was based there for a bit.
Is that a Humber in the hangar entrance?
Cheers, Dave
helicopterdcr

Postby warferry on Thu 23 Aug 2012, 4:00 pm

While sorting black & white old shots see Hornet Moth above I found these two of the Desford one taken at Eastleigh in great condition.
The other at Coalville in a old miners wash room not so smart. As a piece of British heritage should be restored I suggest.Image
Desford Eastliegh by warferry, on Flickr Image
Desford Coalville by warferry, on Flickr
warferry

Previous

Return to 'Golden Oldies' Photos