The Mick Freer Archives (Updated more photos added 07/12/17)

Photos older than five years old (preferably much older)
bigcrow

Re: The Mick Freer Archives

Post by bigcrow »

Thanks for the kind comments guys, they are a joy to scan as well, finding some real gems... Here's a few more.

Image72-1570 YF-17A Cobra, Northrop by Stuart Freer - Touchdown Aviation, on Flickr

Image63-7847\LM C-130E 316th TAW, Langley AFB, VA by Stuart Freer - Touchdown Aviation, on Flickr

Image155863/AC-204 F-4J VF-103 'Sluggers', NAS Miramar. by Stuart Freer - Touchdown Aviation, on Flickr

Image60-0049 B-52H 28th BW, Ellsworth AFB. by Stuart Freer - Touchdown Aviation, on Flickr

Image52-0905 KC-97L 126th Air Refuelling Squadron/Wisconsin Air National Guard, Mitchell Field. by Stuart Freer - Touchdown Aviation, on Flickr

Image58-0043 KC-135A 133rd ARS, New Hamspshire ANG, Pease AFB. by Stuart Freer - Touchdown Aviation, on Flickr

Image61-2662/OF RC-135S 'Cobra Ball' 55th Wing, Offutt AFB, Nebraska. by Stuart Freer - Touchdown Aviation, on Flickr

ImageXS897/S Lightning F6 56 Squadron 'Firebirds', RAF Wattisham. by Stuart Freer - Touchdown Aviation, on Flickr

Image17 F-8E(FN) French Navy, 14 Flottille, Landivisiau. by Stuart Freer - Touchdown Aviation, on Flickr

Image136753 C-1A Trader Naval Air Facility Mildenhall. by Stuart Freer - Touchdown Aviation, on Flickr

Image141023 C-131F Naval Air Facility Mildenhall by Stuart Freer - Touchdown Aviation, on Flickr

Image140997 C-131F Naval Air Facility Mildenhall by Stuart Freer - Touchdown Aviation, on Flickr

Image160413/AJ-203 F-14A VF-84 "Jolly Rogers", NAS Oceana, Va by Stuart Freer - Touchdown Aviation, on Flickr

Image157449/AJ-302 A-7E VA-82 "Marauders', NAS Cecil Field, Fl by Stuart Freer - Touchdown Aviation, on Flickr

Image154126/AE-502 A-6E VA-176 "Thunderbolts", NAS Oceana, VA by Stuart Freer - Touchdown Aviation, on Flickr

Image157573/AJ-406 A-7E VA-86 'Sidewinders', NAS Cecil Feild, Fl by Stuart Freer - Touchdown Aviation, on Flickr

Mad Dan

Re: The Mick Freer Archives (Updated more photos)

Post by Mad Dan »

Another fine selection and yet again another familiar-looking one too...with shots from Farnborough (YF-17), Mildenhall (C-130E, KC-135, RC-135S and C-131F), Lakenheath (Lightning and possibly C-1A), Greenham Common (KC-97L, A-6E and possibly the French Crusader) and Marham (B-52s). One small point - the F-4J would have been from Oceana, not Miramar, as VF-103 was an Atlantic Fleet outfit, then paired with VF-31 I believe...

And that KC-135 from New Hampshire really brings back memories - with a classic smoky departure visible in the background...
I am not a loony... I used to be, but I think I am better now...

bigcrow

Post by bigcrow »

Cheers Lindsey, your right on most of them, the C-130E was shot at Abingdon, Sept 73 & the French F-8 at Yeovilton also in 73. School boy error on the F-4J... :smile:

Mad Dan

Post by Mad Dan »

Never thought of Yeovilton, but am pretty sure I was there for that show and probably Abingdon too, as it was the closest BoB Open Day to where I then lived. Keep them coming - I'm quite enjoying flexing my memory!!! And didn't the US Navy stuff look wonderful then?
I am not a loony... I used to be, but I think I am better now...

Russ

Post by Russ »

Tremendous. :clap: :cool:

Your Dad's collection makes the Picture of the Week selection too easy for the UKAR team Stu. :cool:

Macc

Post by Macc »

These are incredible, although I have to admit the YF-17 just does not look like a real aircraft. :grin:

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

Lovely stuff! :clap: :clap:
What do you call a horse that lives nextdoor?? - A Neigh-bour!
Whisky Connoisseur

Johnp94

Post by Johnp94 »

By far some of the best photographs on these forums

AMB

Post by AMB »

Well done Stu! Your Dad would have been very proud of you for continuing his great enthusiasm for quality aviation photography and sharing these.
I am honoured to have known him for more years than I care to recall!
Adrian

Downes0106

Post by Downes0106 »

Stu - Its clear where your skill with the camera and love of aviation came from. Some wonderful photographs, great subjects and superb scanning - they look like they are straight from a digital SLR. They are a great tribute to your dad. Thanks for sharing.
Scott

Canon EOS7D, with 30D Back-up
Canon 100-400MM IS, 70-200MM plus some wide-angle/macro stuff

Daz

Post by Daz »

Excellent shots. I love the USN stuff!
Proud Grandson of an Avro Shackleton "boy"

st24

Post by st24 »

Great stuff as ever Stu- that's some legacy Mick has left and so good of you to share it with us. Thanks, and more please! :clap:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

tankbuster81
UKAR Supporter

Post by tankbuster81 »

wonderful photos which purely enhance the memories,thanks for posting them. Did your father take many photos of my beloved A10? When you get a moment ,i'd love to see them. :smile:
Don't bother running, you'll only die tired!!

warferry

Post by warferry »

Many thanks Stu for taking the time to scan/load all the above. Being old enough to remember KC97's drone over regularly, the shot of same my favourite.

Ledhead27
UKAR Staff
Location: Inverness (and occasionally 20,000ft - if the aircraft can make it that high)

Post by Ledhead27 »

What a magnificent set of images, your father has done a splendid job of capturing such a diverse number of aircraft types and all in good quality!
"PostMan, FuelMan, SpamCan, NoPlan, CivviMan, Dan"

UKAR Party Plane Captain

4 out of 5 baguettes

Aerodynamik

Post by Aerodynamik »

Magnifique! Nice to see 141023 as well. One of the first aircraft I ever saw at Northolt.

ciaranchef

Post by ciaranchef »

What a stunning set of historical pics, fantastic, Ciaran
"It is generally inadvisable to eject over the area you just bombed"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ciaranchef/

silver fox

Post by silver fox »

Once again thanks for the share, the quality required to produce the slides and to then put them up on here looking as fresh as if they were taken yesterday is astounding.

You are giving new life to your fathers work and keeping some enthusiasts very happy, thanks again.

Pat Murphy

Post by Pat Murphy »

Fantastic stuff, they look like they were taken yesterday. :clap: :clap: Not a duffer amongst them but that YF17 with the smoky wheel is a catch and a half. Wasn't that the one that ended up a smoking hole in the ground after Farnborough? :question:

More please, much more :clap:

chek

Post by chek »

Both the YF-17s are still alive and well - 72-1569 in the Western Museum of Flight in Torrance http://www.wmof.com/display.htm , and 72-1570 in the Battleship Memorial Park in Mobile, Alabama http://www.ussalabama.com/aircraft.php .

Binbrook 01

Post by Binbrook 01 »

Pat

It was an early F-18B Hornet that crashed inside/just outside the perimeter of Middle Wallop, either a prototype or pre production airframe, I forget which.

Tim S

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

Binbrook 01 wrote:It was an early F-18B Hornet that crashed inside/just outside the perimeter of Middle Wallop, either a prototype or pre production airframe, I forget which.Tim S

Middle Wallop? I've no memory of that occuring at all?

Quick update. Apparently it was F-18B 160784 (photos on A.net, including one by Mike Freer) that was departing Farnborough on 8th Sept. 1980, and which came down near Middle Wallop (some sort of engine failure) while attempting a diversion to Boscombe Down. Both crew (Jack Krings and Gary Post) ejected safely.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

Elwood

Post by Elwood »

Thought I was back in The Brandy Cask at Pershore on a Thursday evening. How we looked forward to those evenings with good company, excellent photos, my spluttering projector and friendly banter. How I and the rest of the Gang miss him. Photo No.1 is a real tear maker.
Thank you Stu for posting these and reminding me of some happy days. Look forward to further posts.

Warmest wishes,

Elwood Bear and The Chauffeur.
Elwood Bear
Mascot of Canberra WT333 Operating Team http://on-target-aviation.com/heritage/

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

That Lightning F6 XS897 was taken on 2nd August at Lakenheath during their 1975 Open House. I took a shot of it on the same day, but from a different angle. Mick's shot is a little low in the frame which I tended to do back then for some reason.
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

bigcrow

Post by bigcrow »