Yeovilton Air Day 1979- late post

Photos older than five years old (preferably much older)
docman

Yeovilton Air Day 1979- late post

Post by docman »

Scanning negatives is a laborious process that I confine to winter months. The excitement of seeing such rareties as a F-14 are difficult to match in the few remaining UK shows. How I wish I could take a decent modern digital camera back to such events. All photos were taken on Friday 3rd of August after the usual haul down the A303.
Image197903YeoviltonTomcat by richard.digby, on Flickr
Image197903YeoviltonWessex by richard.digby, on Flickr
Image197905YeoviltonSeaHarrier by richard.digby, on Flickr
Image197905YeoviltonSeaHarrier2 by richard.digby, on Flickr
Image197905YeoviltonF104multiscan by richard.digby, on Flickr
Image197903YeoviltonFlycatcher2 by richard.digby, on Flickr
Image197905YeoviltonB173 by richard.digby, on Flickr
Image197903YeoviltonMirage by richard.digby, on Flickr
Image197903Scan-150131-0001 by richard.digby, on Flickr
More on my Flickr account.
Thanks for looking
Last edited by docman on Tue 03 Feb 2015, 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

st24

Re: Yeovilton Air Day 1979- late post

Post by st24 »

Very nice selection, halcyon days. The F-104 pic intrigues me as that machine was fatally lost on Friday 2nd at VL, so you must have shot it on take off prior to the crash on Friday?...
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

docman

Post by docman »

Thank you ST24. The accident report gives Saturday 3rd August as the date of its demise as does the checklist on the Scramble website.
One of the links is below;

http://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=122966

Richard

st24

Post by st24 »

Indeed the crash was on 3 August - which was a Friday. A similar thread was posted a little while ago..
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=63072

Comet102

Post by Comet102 »

Very nice, did you get any pictures of the green Wessex coded "U" on the nose?

docman

Post by docman »

Unfortunately I would take one of each type, so to my regret missed the other one in the static. Film cost is my defence but if only....

I have amended the inital post to Friday thanks to ST24; it was a show day rather than arrivals.

Richard

SPLAT

Post by SPLAT »

Great capture on 22+25 F104 and the armed Wessex

SHARFA2

Post by SHARFA2 »

Really wish I could have seen a Tomcat in the Flesh.......aah well. Great set of photos.

lmgaylard

Post by lmgaylard »

Lovely photos Docman. :clap:

Just as info; the Sea Harrier would have been piloted by Flt Lt Ian Mortimer who was the 1st Royal Navy SHAR display pilot and displayed in 1980 and 1981.
It's a lot less bover in the hover

st24

Post by st24 »

lmgaylard wrote:Lovely photos Docman. :clap:

Just as info; the Sea Harrier would have been piloted by Flt Lt Ian Mortimer who was the 1st Royal Navy SHAR display pilot and displayed in 1980 and 1981.

But this is 1979 and the SHAR wasn't fully in RN service - the a/c pictured belongs to 700A Sqn, the IFTU. Not saying though that the pilot might have been who you say as he was one of the original RAF inductees to the senior service to show them how to fly.... :wink:

lmgaylard

Post by lmgaylard »

st24 wrote:
lmgaylard wrote:Lovely photos Docman. :clap:

But this is 1979 and the SHAR wasn't fully in RN service - the a/c pictured belongs to 700A Sqn, the IFTU. Not saying though that the pilot might have been who you say as he was one of the original RAF inductees to the senior service to show them how to fly.... :wink:

ST24 yes you are correct that the photos are from 1979, it looks like on reflection I worded my previous comment unclearly.
Flt Lt Ian Mortimer was the 1st Sea Harrier display pilot and he displayed in 79, 80 and 1981.
He has wrote a lot for my forthcoming book; Yeovilton-Home of the Sea Harrier.
Here is a relevant quote from Ian Mortimer taken from my book;
''Friday morning was gorgeous. Cold for August but the sky was blue and there was a gentle breeze to lean into whilst hovering. What could I do? Perfect VSTOL conditions. I got back to Yeovilton and went into the full VSTOL repertoire. Thousands of people turned out of their offices to watch. A little voice somewhere kept saying, “no fancy VSTOL” but I wasn't listening, I was having such a good time. When I climbed out of the jet the AEO, LT Cdr Peter Palmer, approached and he wasn't smiling. “I want a word with you”, said the AEO, but before I could panic he burst into a big smile and said, “thank you Morts, the boys really needed a moral boost and that was just great”. Wow, not only was I not in the guano, I was being thanked, but the elation was short lived. When I got into the line office I was told the Boss wanted to see me, immediately! Four days with the Navy and already I'd disobeyed a direct order, my career was about to end. “What happened Morts”, said a very stern faced Sharkey? I told him what I was sure he already knew after which he just said, “ok, that'll be all”. As I opened the door to leave Sharkey called me back and with just a hint of a smile said, “Morts you're going to be the display pilot, get a sequence together and let me know when it's ready”.
And this little section has a relevant comment regarding your RAF jibe;
''I told earlier how my time with the Fleet Air Arm began a sequence of events that can best be described as “being in the right place at the right time” and how, by that means, I became the first Sea Harrier Display Pilot. At that time I had no-one with whom to discuss the “Dos and Donts” of
display flying and was left very much to my own devices. When I suggested to Sharkey that he might want to watch my first attempt he was too busy and just told me to get on with it. This was quite typical of 700A where everyone was trusted to do their job, to the best of their ability, without constant supervision; what a contrast with the RAF!
The above is obviously copyrighted but I hope you enjoy reading it.
Kind regards.
It's a lot less bover in the hover

Hamble Flyer

Post by Hamble Flyer »

I was on a holding post at Yeovilton in 1978 prior to starting pilot training and hosted the F14 crew for the Air Day weekend. Has anyone got any photos of the 1978 static line up?

Georgeconna

Post by Georgeconna »

Class shots..
Cheers

George

Zero shows for 2018 Giving in a Rest.

AMB

Post by AMB »

Great shots Docman and look as good as any digital shots to me. That shot of "Sally B" has special memories for me, as I was flying in her at the time, in the waist gunner's position. Keith Sissons was the pilot.
Adrian