IAT 1983

Photos older than five years old (preferably much older)
amisbk196

IAT 1983

Post by amisbk196 »

Found these whilst clearing the loft. IAT 1983 at Greenham Common using the very latest in kodak 110mm point and pray technology....

ImageIAT 1983 by amisbk196, on Flickr

ImageXS235 De Havilland DH.106 Comet 4C by amisbk196, on Flickr

st24

Re: IAT 1983

Post by st24 »

They're not too bad for the dreaded 110 format- possibly the worst invention in imaging since Neanderthal man couldn't find some mud to put on the end of his stick! Great to see the crowds in these, still looking for a 17 year old st24 and the then Mrs st24 milling around...!
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

110? really? they're actually remarkably good from negs the size of a microchip.

Great to see some new views, and 1983 is especially good to see for me as it was my first IAT. I'm with st24, its great to see the crowd and naturally, I did the same, and scanned carefully for the 1983 version of WM! I must have been on the crowd line peering over and around the razor wire.

great stuff.

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

Nice views of the last IAT at Greenham sadly. I well remember seeing my first SR-71 and U-2(or is it a TR-1) at this show. It's funny that the Victor and Vulcan were just an everyday show item and not really taken much notice of!

SPLAT

Post by SPLAT »

Great set , love the guy in front of the Boscombe down prop job with the aluminium case with stickers on.those were the days. You could stand on them or hit someone who wS annoying you whilst taking a shot :biggrin: :biggrin:

Big Eric

Post by Big Eric »

SPLAT wrote:Great set , love the guy in front of the Boscombe down prop job with the aluminium case with stickers on.those were the days. You could stand on them or hit someone who wS annoying you whilst taking a shot :biggrin: :biggrin:

Which Boscombe Down prop job? :dizzy:

amisbk196

Post by amisbk196 »

Big Eric wrote:
SPLAT wrote:Great set , love the guy in front of the Boscombe down prop job with the aluminium case with stickers on.those were the days. You could stand on them or hit someone who wS annoying you whilst taking a shot :biggrin: :biggrin:

I think its the Bristol Britannia which I think was XX367

Blackbird
UKAR Supporter

Post by Blackbird »

Which Boscombe Down prop job? :dizzy:[/quote]

The Britannia!

Superb memory of the show - many thanks :clap: . I've also scoured the pics but can't see myself either!

Andy :smile:

st24

Post by st24 »

farnboroughrob wrote: and U-2(or is it a TR-1) and Vulcan were just an everyday show item and not really taken much notice of!

TR-1 back then - it and the Blackbird's first IAT visit. And guess what Vulcan?!! back in it's K2 days...
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Big Eric

Post by Big Eric »

amisbk196 wrote:
Big Eric wrote:

I think its the Bristol Britannia which I think was XX367

Oops ! I hadn't noticed that photo when I first looked at them, apologies for that and yes - it was XX367. :smile:

The Pucara was also from Boscombe if I remember correctly. ZD485?

warferry

Post by warferry »

Thanks for taking the time to post these, great memories.
Speaking of time you should have got up earlier to get in before the mob ! :smile:

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

They were also good for carrying photo equipment! Part of the fun cutting out the foam to fit your lens, body, etc.

Off topic, sorry: thanks for posting these. Remember that show very well.

CJS

Post by CJS »

Yay, love these :clap: :up: I was 5 so I didn't bother wasting too much time looking for myself :grin:

Is that an RAF Bronco? I never knew we had them...

Edit - just realised it's not a Bronco - no double tail. So what is ZD485? :dunno:

Edit edit - lust looked it up. It's a Pucara. Info here... http://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/documents/c ... Pucara.pdf

Captured by the British after the Falklands War and brought back for testing at Boscombe Down. Only displayed at one show - this one. So that's what's known as a pretty good catch! :clap:

Thanks for sharing
Buy the sky and sell the sky and lift your arms up to the sky and ask the sky"

MC hammer

Post by MC hammer »

I was looking at the present day Greenham Common on Google maps this week.
It's very much fallen victim to the diggers, with hardly any concrete to be seen, in complete contrast to it's IAT days and other disused airfields from that era.
I think I remember a clause of some sort, stating it should be returned to common land, once it was no longer required as an airfield, which would explain a lot.
I guess then, that you can now walk freely over the land where many of these photos were taken and breathe in the nostalgia.
Ah days gone by.

2E0TVR

Post by 2E0TVR »

Great photos from the last IAT at Greenham. They were some great shows.

MC hammer, the runway was dug up and used as foundation rubble for the Newbury Bypass. The old high school is now a secure psychiatric hospital but our carpark is one of the old concrete parking pans, complete with 2 fuel tank caps. It's still a great place to wander around and a lot of the original features still exist.

NickB

Post by NickB »

Great pics - I really must scan my own '110' pics in from Greenham Common 83 including a landing pic of the Noratlas that came in early on the Saturday morning :smile:

I, like many it seems, spent just as much scanning the crowd in your pics to see if you photographed an 11 year NickB or any of my other family members or friends that were there... sadly not that I could see.

I remember a commentator at Duxford Legends once saying, while it is important to take pics of the aircraft you see, it is equally as important to take pics of the friends and family that you attend with, as the aircraft are likely to be around longer than they are! Sadly, how right he was and how I wish I had taken pics of the people that I attended these shows with - many of whom aren't with us any more. Sorry to sound gloomy, but it is an important point I feel.

Please keep posting! :up:

NickB

Post by NickB »

Looking at these pics got me thinking - can anyone else remember the MASSIVE thunderstorm that occurred on the Friday night/early hours of the Saturday morning before the show? I remember watching it develop as we drove up the A303.

We were parked up in a Sherpa campervan - all 6 of us trying to rest after the long drive up from Cornwall (and it was bl**dy long way back then on the old A30 out of Cornwall!!) in a disused quarry just off Bury's Bank Road when a bolt of lightning brought down a power cable about 20 feet from where we were! :shock: I can still smell that electricity in the air!
A friendly policeman my Dad was talking to at about 6am said that overnight the rain was so heavy the water was up to our hubcaps at one point! By the morning the airfield had pretty much dried out.

What an airshow it was for an 11 year old - such a choice of aircraft, plus that wonderful line up of Phantoms!
I can still remember feeling sorry for some chap whose strap broke on his SLR camera as it was dangling around his neck - result one broken camera at the best airshow in the world!

In a strange twist of fate I now live about 3 miles from Greenham Common and often take my sons cycling up there, always going to the last remaining part of the runway - the centre section - and thinking of all the aircraft that once thundered down it.

For me the RIAT/IAT just isn't the same now.
Last edited by NickB on Mon 06 Feb 2017, 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Big Eric

Post by Big Eric »

NickB wrote:Looking at these pics got me thinking - can anyone else remember the MASSIVE thunderstorm that occurred on the Friday night/early hours of the Saturday morning before the show? I remember watching it develop as we drove up the A303.

Yup, I remember it well. We were in a tent at Newbury racecourse but survived it somehow ! :grin:

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Big Eric wrote:
NickB wrote:Looking at these pics got me thinking - can anyone else remember the MASSIVE thunderstorm that occurred on the Friday night/early hours of the Saturday morning before the show? I remember watching it develop as we drove up the A303.

Yup, I remember it well. We were in a tent at Newbury racecourse but survived it somehow ! :grin:

That might have been the weather from which we sheltered under a motorway flyover on the way down.

Parked up somewhere near the boundary fence and well remember seeing the tail fins at dawn. Of course no one knew what was there until you were on the base.