An Air Tattoo two-pack: IAT87 and RIAT 2007

Photos older than five years old (preferably much older)
Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

An Air Tattoo two-pack: IAT87 and RIAT 2007

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Discussion elsewhere on the forum about RIAT ten short years ago got me digging back into my folders to refresh my memory. I thought I'd post a few. Some things have hardly changed, some things more so.

But before that, I'll share some from another couple of decades before, IAT 1987. This event was a return to form for IAT, being the second at its new home of Fairford. However it was rather blighted by rotten weather, and that definitely shows in the lack of quality in my photos. These are old scans, but I don't think I shared them on the old board. 1987.. Thirty years ago!.. so I'll make allowances for the quality if you can!

to start, 'European Tanker Task Force'..

the much cleaner, quieter and duller 'R's were also around by 87

Did I say it was wet? this was Sunday afternoon I think, sheltering in the FIAT marquee, as it was at the time, while the tent was floating away over on the campsite..

some ripple, why not

Asas de Portugal

lets have a flurry of jets to finish

Bitburg Eagle, an 80's staple.

and finally a vertical landing

That miscellany was shot Friday to Monday, with apologies again for the quality.

Onto 2007 now. Very much in the modern era, so just a few to whet the appetite for this year's theme.

the RAF's short lived, and nowhere near as good as the solo displays it replaced, Role Demo

a poor shot, but it made the briefest of appearances in the air

It seems like R/IAT has been good when there is a '7' involved - 97 was good too although I don't have any shots I can share. So here's hoping for an exciting build up and great event this year.

cheers,
Nige.

BigClick67

Re: An Air Tattoo two-pack: IAT87 and RIAT 2007

Post by BigClick67 »

What a superb post :clap: especially the IAT´87-pics are great to see. What an unbelievable variety of classic aircraft back then! And that sky full of Lyneham Herkies is just surreal :dizzy: thanks for sharing these!

harkins

Post by harkins »

1987! Wow, just wow. Nothing wrong with the photo quality either.

Oh for a time machine. The variety and the schemes - never to be seen again. And another thing, nothing will ever be flown like they were again. That F-3! Today's flying at RIAT is the equivilant of going for a drive with my gran.

Amazing that it sells out so fast nowadays when there's sod all left to see and yet in those fantastic days you could decide on the day to just head down there.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

harkins wrote: Oh for a time machine.

Just make sure your time machine is waterproof, because boy was it wet in '87 :sad: Its why you never see too many posts from the year, so these are really nice to see. :up:

The fast jet line up in 1987 was staggering, not just numbers but variety, plus a bumper transport line up of Hercs and 135s and a Belfast! :biggrin:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

st24

Post by st24 »

capercaillie wrote:, plus a bumper transport line up of Hercs and 135s and a Belfast! :biggrin:

And Hurel-Dubois HD-35! Amazing bird to see. :up:

Great stuff Nige, incredible days. :clap:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

King Cobra

Post by King Cobra »

I got very wet at the '87 show. Took ages to dry out in front of the pub fire that evening. :)

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

st24 wrote:And Hurel-Dubois HD-35! Amazing bird to see. :up:

An HD-34 even. It was the most amazing, agricultural, organic, 1930's throwback thing. Came back in 89 in the sunshine then I'm not sure one has visited these shores since?

I have no scanned shot from 87 but I have from 89, in the glorious sunshine, I'll save that for a later post. I think the oldies will get a reissue soon :-)

God 87 was wet though. Getting back to the campsite quite optimistic, it looked as though the tent was OK... I unzipped the door and two air beds surfed out on the wave of escaping water :lol: :lol:

Had to kip in the car.

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

The '87 weather was awful, cold and dull, I hardly took any photos. The next one '89 by contrast was baking, the hottest one ever I'd think.

At '87, I first met up with a Canadian who had come over on the off-chance, and had been wandering around Cirencester looking for somewhere to stay, and at every place he tried he was given the brush off (not really surprising I suppose), until he found the place that I was staying where they took pity on him and put him up in a room somewhere. Of course the weather was terrible, and he got soaked to the skin. The people at the B and B lent him some jeans Sunday night as his were wet though, but he had to put his on again next morning (Monday) to go home, and the last I saw of him he was standing at the bus stop in Ciren, waiting for his bus back to Heathrow. He really didn't have much luck at RIAT, as I heard that he came over again to Fairford but sadly choose the year when the event (forget what year) was cancelled due to flooding. :sad:
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

Russ

Post by Russ »

Great set. :clap: :cool:

IAT '87 - what a dreadful show that looked! :lol: :drool:

Mantog

Post by Mantog »

Superb!

AndyXH558

Post by AndyXH558 »

The Hd34 came back to the uk once more in about 1999 to fly over a factory in lancashire but i think that was it. Dont even thing its flying anymore.
Life's a piece of S*** if you look at it!

Daz

Post by Daz »

AlexC wrote:The '87 weather was awful, cold and dull, I hardly took any photos. The next one '89 by contrast was baking, the hottest one ever I'd think.

At '87, I first met up with a Canadian who had come over on the off-chance, and had been wandering around Cirencester looking for somewhere to stay, and at every place he tried he was given the brush off (not really surprising I suppose), until he found the place that I was staying where they took pity on him and put him up in a room somewhere. Of course the weather was terrible, and he got soaked to the skin. The people at the B and B lent him some jeans Sunday night as his were wet though, but he had to put his on again next morning (Monday) to go home, and the last I saw of him he was standing at the bus stop in Ciren, waiting for his bus back to Heathrow. He really didn't have much luck at RIAT, as I heard that he came over again to Fairford but sadly choose the year when the event (forget what year) was cancelled due to flooding. :sad:

RIAT 2008 was the show cancelled due to flooding.
Proud Grandson of an Avro Shackleton "boy"

AlexC

Post by AlexC »

Thanks! :smile: Nine years ago, blimey, how time fly's!
Pte. Aubrey Gerald Harmer, R. Suss. R. (att. to the Sherwood Foresters) KIA 26/9/1917 Polygon Wood, aged 19, NKG. RIP

reheat module

Post by reheat module »

What a joy to view.
All those Hercs OMG!
Canon systems

Ryan.

Post by Ryan. »

What a beautiful aircraft the Tornado was. :love:

rob68

Post by rob68 »

Was it 87 when the heavens opened with thunder, more or less when the flying finished on the Sunday and everyone tried to get off site at the same time. Whichever year that was I had a long discussion in the car about the use of R been accepted in I spy as reflection could not be accepted, anyway took me till 11pm to get to Worcester services, a journey of less than a hour normally