Boscombe Down 1990

Photos older than five years old (preferably much older)
Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Boscombe Down 1990

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

We've started to build some momentum in the Golden Oldies section now, so, to keep that going I'm dipping into my collection of old scans of older photos once again.

And this time, I'm cutting straight to one of my favourite airshows of all time; to give it its official title the TVS Battle of Britain 50 Airshow Boscombe Down.

In those days, IAT was still a biennial event. In the 'even' years, the IAT team used to keep themselves busy. They helped organise several Middle Wallop International Air Shows, and TVS Airshow South at Hurn. But when it was announced that they'd be staging a Battle of Britain commemorative event at Boscombe Down the enthusiast community was buzzing. Boscombe Down? to be invited on to the base? it would have been unmissable if the line up had been mediocre. Far from it though. The line up, both static and flying, was excellent, and as a venue Boscombe was outstanding.

June 8th -11th 1990

Starting with the US Navy in the static display.

a VF-143 Pukin' Dog

and some smart Tornados too

some action now, and a Phantom is always a good place to start. Unapologetically, here's two of the RAF display ship

one of a four ship launching

and the four ship

some more multiples

and some other stuff, both static and flying, in no particular order

star guests from 1sqn RAAF. One F1-11 in the static, a little tight to photograph well

and a flyer

also a flyer

quite a spectacular flyer in fact. Shot from the live side from the photo bus

There was a gathering of Spits and Hurricanes, I seem to recall around ten or eleven flew. I didn't seem to shoot much of the set piece and scanned even less, so here's a token shot

And finally, this is an L-39, seems unremarkable, but this was 1990, and this participant was very significant. The seasons to follow were about to see massive change on the airshow scene.

I hope that was a stroll down memory lane. I'll post 92 in due course, when this show became not IAT but ATI, and even better than this one.

wv383

Re: Boscombe Down 1990

Post by wv383 »

What an excellent set. Interesting to look in the background as well in some of them. Particularly noticeable for me was Comet 4 'Canopus'.
Simon

john001

Post by john001 »

No ones going to see a B52 do that again...
Last edited by john001 on Tue 11 Apr 2017, 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigClick67

Post by BigClick67 »

Superb set :clap: that B-52 shot really made my heart stop! :hypno:

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

Just. Wow.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

Slinger65

Post by Slinger65 »

We can't have been far away from each other:

Great memories, if only airshows were like this today...
Slinger65

Panasonic Lumix FZ1000

binbrook87

Post by binbrook87 »

Fabulous stuff! One of my all time favourite shows and like you said...a great venue! Oh happy days!
Thanks for posting :up:

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Thanks folks.

Yes, that B-52 was quite a sight to behold.

Just to add a little more atmosphere, I thought I'd share a flick through the programme. Note, even in those days, not everything turned up, although sometimes things turned up you didn't expect.

First the static list and something we never see any more.. a proper map! a privilege to be on this usually top secret installation. There was even a proper little car park for us FIAT members right behind the enclosure. Note the photo bus was sponsored by a cigarette manufacturer. Different times all round there!

the flying display. There was no BoB finale and balbo on the Saturday due to wind.

this advert caught my eye. How simple, and cool, the IAT branding and advertising was

all fronted with Wilf Hardy artwork, naturally

I really am enjoying this nostalgia folks!

cheers
Nige.

st24

Post by st24 »

Wrexham Mackem wrote:
I really am enjoying this nostalgia folks!

cheers
Nige.

Ditto!!

Fabulous post again Nige. As you have said, just being able to set foot on the hallowed ground that was (is) Boscombe Down not once but twice was an incredible experience - the only base in the UK that actively discouraged "spotting" with no camera signs and Police patrols (all ignored it has to be said! :grin: ) And what shows; both using every square inch of space on that huge 'drome to cram all those aeroplanes in, fabulous days. A very succinct IAT'91 advert - using a Hardy line drawing of a 2 year old Dutch display F-16! Simple over style so often wins.
The BoB set piece was a victim of the weather so no wonder you didn't shoot much of it - full practice on Friday cancelled, Saturday event curtailed and they finally pulled it off on the Sunday, even then in far from ideal conditions. That said it flowed beautifully - one of Sean Maffet's great moments in his "theatre of the air" sessions, the smoking Buchon (or was it the Nord/Bf108) diving behind a distant hill was memorable as was 56 Sqn's finest mixing it with the warbirds - there were 5 Phantoms, 8/9 Spitfires, 2 Hurricanes, Buchons and Nord all in the air together , stirring stuff.
And yes that unremarkable L-39 and L-410 from the Czechoslovaks - little did we know what we were in for at IAT '91!! :shock: :hypno:
The only mystery is I still have yet to find out why the 4 ship Belgian Mirage V display was cancelled, presumably because they hadn't practiced but I don't recall the Canadians doing that either but they flew??... Aah well that's just history now.

Greta stuff mate.
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

That's it! yes of course Geoff, the bell has rung and its all come flooding back now. I'm not sure how the downing of the '108 had slipped my mind! :lol:

And the 4 x firebird Phantoms flew at the end of the day as part of the set piece, and if you look at how murky my shot above of that formation is, then it largely explains why I haven't all that many photos. It was obviously a sit back and watch moment.

And yes, the Belgian Mirage Vs that were there and didn't do anything - very curious.

Happy days. :rock:

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

A little postscript to this thread. I have just ordered myself the DVD of this show from PlanesTV. A pleasant little surprise to find it still available. So I can refresh that rusty memory even more. :biggrin:

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Another great thread, thanks for posting. What a line-up: Eglin F-15s, those Tornado schemes, the B-52 flying display, that F-111 - oh for a time machine and a special deal on Fujichrome!

awacs

Post by awacs »

No words needed....ist like heaven! :king:

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

Another great load of photos. I can't remember why on earth I didn't go to this show. Lost in the mists of time.

rob68

Post by rob68 »

Another first for me was on the A303....Stone Henge when stuck getting in