Mildenhall Air Fetes 80's to 90's

Photos older than five years old (preferably much older)
Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Mildenhall Air Fetes 80's to 90's

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Spring Bank Holiday weekend. For me, it is and always will be 'Mildenhall weekend'.

Mildenhall has a special place in my heart as my first experience of a 'proper' airshow. It was there in 1982 I realised I could actually see such a diverse range of aircraft from seemingly all over the world, stuff I'd only ever seen in kit model form before! I did have an SLR then, and took it along with me in case there were any photos to be had at an airshow(!), and I guess that set something in motion that I still love as much today.

No photos to share from 82 though, they were on print film and are as yet unscanned. But I will share a few from each year that attended and/or have scanned, between 1985 and 1997.

1985. Took me a little while to get back after the first time in 82. Like then a single day visit, and unlike then the weather was poor. So two shots only, and just because they're Starfighters

1987. I skipped 86 because it was right on top of my A-level exams, as I had done with 84 too. In 87 I stayed locally for the first time and did the full weekend, camping in what was then just a patch of grass by the perimeter fence. John Morley's field would go on to grow over the years into a proper campsite and viewing location. Live side of the runway too, and is my 'history' of being on the naughty side at an airshow, which I'd occasionally go on to do for one show day. In my defence Mildenhall had one or two annoyances, not least of which was that the sun was bang in your face on the crowd line!

close up access to the flight line was a Mildenhall speciality

the perils of a fixed focal length!

There was a parade of DeHav's, and an appearance of the Comet very newly restored, to commemorate the McRobertson Air Race. Story is in this month's Aeroplane.

1988. More shots from John's field creeping in this year, as he'd placed a stack of pallets on top of an old farm trailer for us lads to get a clear view over the fence. Different times.

And for once I will say I really really wish I had my 7D II and 100-400 then. The 500 mirror lens and my excitement hasn't been the best for quality here, but can you imagine being in this position today?

Two RAF Lightnings made a swan song appearance alongside their shiny new replacements in the static park. It was the show's highlight when they departed with gusto on the Sunday

poor quality - sorry!

1989. Never to be the same again, there was no Blackbird in the flying display. I'm biased of course. As some compensation, the B-1B arrived on the scene.

I can always squeeze in a sluf, even if static

1990. I graduated in 89, so Mildenhall 90 was the first spring bank holiday I'd had free of exam stress since I was about 14. I spent much of the show days with a hangover, and resolved to myself not to take any more exams. I've more or less stuck to that too. Can't remember the name of the pub in Beck Row or West Row, but remember the good times!

90 is probably best remembered for this take off by B-52 "Swashbuckler" on the Saturday. Spectacular stuff.

a rare flyer

and a regular flyer

John's field now had a toilet and shower block and was a year-round campsite. It would be hopelessly overwhelmed these days of course. My little white 205GTi just in this shot. Well, the back of it :-)

1991. Memorable for first sight of those pink Gulf War veterans.

how much I miss a Bitburg Eagle

and a Bentwaters A-10 for that matter. With its titanium bathtub.

and a lovely close view of this rattling classic

That was the last Mildenhall that I did as a weekend. My attendance then got patchy, and of my remaining visits I don't have much scanned.

1997, a token handful.

as weird and wonderful now as it was then. To this day I've never heard a cacophony of shutters like that

Mildenhall rather faded away, like my attendance of it did in the end. I very much miss it now. It was a special event. Very cheap, with a flat fee per car and all occupants, it drew enormous crowds. It was heaving. And no 'friends' enclosure to get away from it all, it was at times uncomfortable with that sun in your face. Of course the ice cold beer and delicious barbecue as well as pure unadulterated aviation were more than enough compensation.

Here a handful of the 'brochures', actually calendars, that were given gratis to each car.

and a random pair of the flying display programmes. 85 was chosen as it has an authentic Mildenhall barbecue stain :-)

That was a far longer than usual stroll down memory lane, but hey, it is a bank holiday weekend, and not only that, its Mildenhall weekend. I hope it brought back some memories.

Oh and the 85, 90 and 91 shows were on this day, 26th May. And just look at the weather now :cool:

iainpeden

Re: Mildenhall Air Fetes 80's to 90's

Post by iainpeden »

Simply a sigh for wonderful days and memories.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

IanC

Post by IanC »

Wow - a magnificent look back to those memorable years.

hunterxf382

Post by hunterxf382 »

Absolutely stunning photo set there!
Being in the RAF at the time of most of yours shots, and working airshows - it was easy to look back at these days again, and remind myself of when we were all incredibly fortunate to witness what we did. The sheer abundance of variety and pre H&S days make for pure enjoyment ;)

Interesting to see that both the GR3 and the Sea Harrier appear to be in the hover with undercarriage up? I always thought I had seen them with gear down in the hover unless my memory is playing tricks through advanced age :biggrin:
Pete Buckingham
Volunteer in Aviation
Former RAF Engineer
http://hunterxf382.weebly.com/

Georgeconna

Post by Georgeconna »

Wow, reading this I am so sad that time has moved on so quickly now, Just look what was on offer there. Good times indeed. Thanks for sticking these up. I musst start to scan some of my old stuff at some stage.
Cheers

George

Zero shows for 2018 Giving in a Rest.

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Great stuff. That was not just a trip down memory lane but a full-blown excursion! Thanks for taking the time to put these up. Great memories, although that sun was a pain for photography right enough but Mildenhall had something special about it. At one of these shows we were stuck in the car park where we'd been for hours, and a US serviceman said, oh don't head towards the exits, head that way back towards the base itself. We did so and managed to drive straight out.

Many great items but the stand out memory is that B2 arrival and the shutters going with no one talking.

Happy days!

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 »

I went in 1994, 1997, 1998, (should have been going in 1999 but for Kosovo cancelling it), 2000 was my last Air Fete due to Family Illness in 2001, But recently I started thinking of how in 1997 they should have launched The Thunderbirds to perform the Flypast with the B-2 Spirit, maybe if they had done that and had the F-117 and the 2 F-15s in the picture that would have been awesome and in every single Aviation Magazine known.

Unfortunately I have recently moved house and lost most of my Airshow Programmes during the move including unfortunately my Mildenhall Progs and the Show Stickers which I am disappointed at but someone very kindly cut the show sticker shapes of the Programmes and retreaved them so I have them.

But finally I do still have my memories of Air Fetes - must sort out my Photos.
Last edited by Unknown74 on Mon 29 May 2017, 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

aceyone

Post by aceyone »

Terrific memories of a terrific show,thanks for posting ! We always spent the two weeks prior to Mildenhall mountain walking in Scotland and it was always a shock to the system,after two weeks of peace and quiet to suddenly be thrown into the hub-bub that was Mildenhall but worth every bit of discomfort for the sheer spectacle !
Don't know about those jets ,they spoil a very nice place

MC hammer

Post by MC hammer »

So many great aircraft no longer with us now.

However, you have KC-135 60-0339 depicted and that was at Mildenhall last month, it being the tanker support for the two straggler F-35s which arrived at the Heath during the evening of the 19th April, so still going strong.

Fantastic post with great memories, just wish I'd been more prolific and competent with a camera back then.

Airwolfhound

Post by Airwolfhound »

Brings back many happy memories, thanks for posting :-)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24874528@N04/

Agile, mobile and hostile ;-)

BigClick67

Post by BigClick67 »

Outstanding post :clap: so many classics that it is hard to pick a favourite. thanks for showing :up:

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Thanks folks, glad you're enjoying them. Mildenhall was unique.

hunterxf382 wrote:Interesting to see that both the GR3 and the Sea Harrier appear to be in the hover with undercarriage up? I always thought I had seen them with gear down in the hover unless my memory is playing tricks through advanced age :biggrin:

Yes, it was a common sight. If a remember rightly they'd drop the gear while in the hover. And/or raise it. :smile:

However, you have KC-135 60-0339 depicted and that was at Mildenhall last month, it being the tanker support for the two straggler F-35s which arrived at the Heath during the evening of the 19th April, so still going strong.

Wow that's a 'Q' (dedicated to SR-71 operations); I wasn't aware they'd come back into refurb and redeployment. They are certainly long-lived beasts. For purely selfish reasons though, I do miss the smoking racket that was the pre-turbofan '135.

Russ

Post by Russ »

Great stuff. Cracking pics and some tremendous memories in there. :clap: :cool:

Ian G
UKAR Staff

Post by Ian G »

The '90 and '91 shows bring back special memories, we moved house in 1990 close to the airshow weekend so I remember it being a faff to get everything we needed when half the things had been packed in boxes! I can vividly remember the Gulf War aircraft that were present, the other thing I do recall was the cargo drop from the back of the C-130. I remember my Mom telling me they were going to pass and drop so I turned round to look only for some tall chap to stand right in front of me - I think I was quite upset after that and wanted them to do it again!!!

Interestingly enough, when I moved house last year I came across some old stuff in boxes, as you do, and came across my collection of old Air Fete calendars - I'd managed to get this signed by the aircrew of the B-52. They were such a friendly bunch and I got to go behind the barrier and have my photo taken with them next to one of the wheels - I'll have to ask my Dad to dig his photos out!

Garf's website and Flickr Photostream

"Which road can I close for you today?"

#tapestries