F-105Ds - AFRES -

F-105Ds - AFRES -

Postby wpower1 on Thu 17 Aug 2017, 2:20 pm

Both A/C from Hill AFB and taken early 80s at different air shows.

Bill
Columbus,GA

ImageNew Scans361 by William Power, on Flickr

ImageNew Scans341 by William Power, on Flickr

ImageNew Scans338 by William Power, on Flickr

ImageNew Scans328 by William Power, on Flickr

ImageNew Scans327 by William Power, on Flickr

ImageNew Scans326 by William Power, on Flickr

ImageNew Scans298 by William Power, on Flickr

ImageNew Scans046 by William Power, on Flickr

ImageNew Scans045 by William Power, on Flickr
wpower1

Re: F-105Ds - AFRES -

Postby farnboroughrob on Thu 17 Aug 2017, 2:44 pm

Nice set, surprised the last ones were retired in 1984! Never saw one operationally myself, just a handful in museums.
farnboroughrob

Postby graham luxton on Sat 19 Aug 2017, 11:22 am

Thanks for posting one of my favourite USAF fighter types wp. Have memories of Bitburg and Spangdahlem ones visiting the UK in the 1960's and also of `Coronet` deployments to RAF Lakenheath in '76, RAF Sculthorpe in '78 as well as others seen from KC-135's over the North Atlantic. The tail number 62-301 (62-4301) rang a bell so I checked my records and discovered I'd seen it on two of its 3 deployments to Europe.
First time was at Sculthorpe in June'78 when it was part of the `Coronet Oriole` deployment of 18 F-105D/F's, all assigned to the 465TFS at Tinker ( tail code `SH`
and blue fin stripe.)
Next time was over the Atlantic (still coded `SH`) during the redeployment of `Coronet Palomino` from Gioia Del Colle AB, Italy to Loring on 24 May'79. `Palomino` was a mixed deployment of 465TFS D/F's and 457TFS D Thunderstick 2's/F's.
Its last visit to Europe was part of `Coronet Rudder` - 18 Hill 466TFS D/F's coded `HI` (yellow fin stripe) deployed to Skrydstrup AB, Denmark. These flew from Westover AFB to Skrydstrup on Sat 15 Aug'81 routing Lands End - Yeovilton - Brize Norton - Mildenhall - MC6 overflying the UK in the early evening. During the morning of Sat 29 Aug, 17 of them returned to the US having lost 1 on the 26th when it crashed into the sea off Denmark. These flew the reciprocal route over the UK although from where I was (at Upper Heyford) they could only be heard going over but not seen, due to very hazy conditions overhead.
We also had a couple of BDR airframes, 1 at Upper Heyford and the other at Lakenheath, good but nothing like seeing them operational.
graham luxton

Postby graham luxton on Sat 19 Aug 2017, 11:22 am

Thanks for posting one of my favourite USAF fighter types wp. Have memories of Bitburg and Spangdahlem ones visiting the UK in the 1960's and also of `Coronet` deployments to RAF Lakenheath in '76, RAF Sculthorpe in '78 as well as others seen from KC-135's over the North Atlantic. The tail number 62-301 (62-4301) rang a bell so I checked my records and discovered I'd seen it on two of its 3 deployments to Europe.
First time was at Sculthorpe in June'78 when it was part of the `Coronet Oriole` deployment of 18 F-105D/F's, all assigned to the 465TFS at Tinker ( tail code `SH`
and blue fin stripe.)
Next time was over the Atlantic (still coded `SH`) during the redeployment of `Coronet Palomino` from Gioia Del Colle AB, Italy to Loring on 24 May'79. `Palomino` was a mixed deployment of 465TFS D/F's and 457TFS D Thunderstick 2's/F's.
Its last visit to Europe was part of `Coronet Rudder` - 18 Hill 466TFS D/F's coded `HI` (yellow fin stripe) deployed to Skrydstrup AB, Denmark. These flew from Westover AFB to Skrydstrup on Sat 15 Aug'81 routing Lands End - Yeovilton - Brize Norton - Mildenhall - MC6 overflying the UK in the early evening. During the morning of Sat 29 Aug, 17 of them returned to the US having lost 1 on the 26th when it crashed into the sea off Denmark. These flew the reciprocal route over the UK although from where I was (at Upper Heyford) they could only be heard going over but not seen, due to very hazy conditions overhead.
We also had a couple of BDR airframes, 1 at Upper Heyford and the other at Lakenheath, good but nothing like seeing them operational.
graham luxton

Postby reheat module on Sat 19 Aug 2017, 2:44 pm

The 'Shark fin on a toilet roll'
Simply beautiful
Canon systems
reheat module

Postby wpower1 on Sat 19 Aug 2017, 11:59 pm

When I was employed by RR in Texas covering Speys etc,I had frequent contact with many corporate pilots working for oil companies who were ex military.

One of them mentioned that in Nam his F-105 take off weight was almost as much as his G2.
These pilots were mostly quite an interesting bunch and full of stories of Nam - some very sad.

Bill
Columbus.GA
wpower1

Postby NickB on Fri 25 Aug 2017, 8:29 am

graham luxton wrote:Thanks for posting one of my favourite USAF fighter types wp. Have memories of Bitburg and Spangdahlem ones visiting the UK in the 1960's and also of `Coronet` deployments to RAF Lakenheath in '76, RAF Sculthorpe in '78 as well as others seen from KC-135's over the North Atlantic. The tail number 62-301 (62-4301) rang a bell so I checked my records and discovered I'd seen it on two of its 3 deployments to Europe.
and blue fin stripe.)

This is very interesting to read Graham... oddly enough I was only talking to my Dad about this last week! Back in 1981 I was 9 years old living with my family in Helston, Cornwall - I should add a lot of my extended family are aviation mad! Anyway, word got around that some F105s were returning back to the US one Saturday morning - come that Saturday morning and I was walking into town with Mum & Dad when looking up and seeing a number of small contrails high up coming from the East... Dad, my brother & I run back home to grab our binos and see the little specs of jets that were F105s! The only time I have ever seen a F105 flying! Until now I didn't know the exact date, so thank you! :up:
NickB

Return to 'Golden Oldies' Photos