Trapani Vipers 2010

Photos older than five years old (preferably much older)
ErikNZ

Trapani Vipers 2010

Post by ErikNZ »

Way back in 2010, shortly before the original lease contract of the Italian Air Force F-16A/B ADF was to expire, I was able to visit 18 Gruppo at Trapani which was the last of the 3 original F-16A/B ADF squadrons at the time. At that point, it had started receiving the other F-16s from Cervia (23 Gruppo) including some of the most awesome paint schemes I had ever seen on any F-16 anywhere.

I just wanted to share some of my photos of my time at Trapani, among some of the most beautiful Vipers I've ever seen.

CJS

Re: Trapani Vipers 2010

Post by CJS »

Now there are some proper paint jobs! The green and black one... :shock: :sick: or :love: , I can't decide!
Buy the sky and sell the sky and lift your arms up to the sky and ask the sky"

st24

Post by st24 »

Very nice. Never realised the Italians had so many special scheme F-16s.. :up:
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

tuska2

Post by tuska2 »

Bit different to a present day Coningsby trip! Very nice set!

Roughcutter

Post by Roughcutter »

They're certainly a flamboyant lot the Italians (wish it would off on our lot) :whistle: Great shots.

ErikNZ

Post by ErikNZ »

Thanks guys, much appreciated. I originally wasn't sure on including Trapani in my Italy-trip in 2010 to save some money but then I learned that the 37th Stormo had received all the F-16s from Cervia and had kept the ones in special markings. At that stage, a good portion of the F-16 fleet had already returned to the USA. During my visit I also learned the USAF was none too pleased when they saw the specially painted F-16s as that was absolutely not part of the agreement. ( I think my dear Italian host used the word "livid").

Thankfully, the Italian Air Force allowed me to include this visit as well into the trip and I could persuade my then girlfriend (now wife) that Sicily was a must-visit stop on our Italy trip!

It was the first and only time we ever combined our "family" vacation with spotting aircraft but, miraculously, it worked out very well. She would drop me off at the gate, go off sight seeing or shopping and collect me in the afternoon again. Given the fact that the Italians were extremely hospitable hosts and every visit seemed to include a mandatory feast with plenty of red wine, it was a good thing too as I'm not sure if I would have been entirely fit to drive myself. :lol:

tuska2

Post by tuska2 »

Over the years I have cunningly contrived to mix an aviation event/visit with a family holiday, it works very well if delivered with innocence! You certainly hit a high on that one! Keep it rolling! I was lucky enough to be a guest of the Italian Air Force on one occasion, and it was the tops in hospitality and spectacle, but that wine must've done something to my camera! so my photo record is not brilliant. Want to post any more?