892 Depart on their last tour aboard the Ark

Photos older than five years old (preferably much older)
alanp

892 Depart on their last tour aboard the Ark

Post by alanp »

Thirty years ago - 6th April 1978, 892 Squadron began it’s last deployment aboard HMS Ark Royal, dispatching eight jets from Leuchars. This was also my brother and I's first time photographing at a military airfield outwith an airshow. The smell of paraffin, the songs of skylarks and the crackle of the airband hinting at an exciting visitor - I’m still hooked.

ImageLINDSAY_POTTS_19780406_0001 by ALAN POTTS, on Flickr

Jakesplanes

Re: 892 Depart on their last tour aboard the Ark

Post by Jakesplanes »

I’m not surprised that you got hooked, that would certainly do the job! 892 have a wonderful history and those Phantoms were IMHO the best looking of the breed to ever fly. The Static example at VL is still stunning today. Thanks for sharing!
IG profile "jakesplanes"

starbuck

Post by starbuck »

alanp wrote:Thirty years ago - 6th April 1978, 892 Squadron began it’s last deployment aboard HMS Ark Royal, dispatching eight jets from Leuchars. This was also my brother and I's first time photographing at a military airfield outwith an airshow. The smell of paraffin, the songs of skylarks and the crackle of the airband hinting at an exciting visitor - I’m still hooked.

Hate to make you feel older than you may already do but it was actually 40 years ago.....

alanp

Post by alanp »

I’m going to blame old age. I’m obviously not as young as I thought!

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

For those wondering about the "F" under the port wing of 001, there was a discussion on Britmodeller about the markings potentially being some zap from the UN during cross carrier ops. The conclusion was much less interesting; that is was paint rubbing off - or primer on - some strengthening strips.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

BigClick67

Post by BigClick67 »

fantastic image :clap:

FERG

Post by FERG »

I think I was in exactly that spot around the same time when I was first left solo at an airfield by my parents on holiday! Thanks for the memories!