Golden Years of Fairford

Golden Years of Fairford

Postby dreamworker on Tue 12 Jun 2018, 10:18 pm

I am a lapsed airshow goer. I must admit that a lot of the aircraft that I used to get excited about have, as we know, now disappeared from the skies.....and those sights that used to set the pulse racing seem to be fewer and far between. I present here a selection of images photographed ( I don't scan ) from slides, mostly Kodachrome and Velvia. I include the Vulcan from Old Warden in 2015, because this seemed to me to be the last link between how things used to be and how they are now. The anticipation and significance of the Vulcan's last few appearances was tangible, and between the two shows in July and October, those terrible events at Shoreham threatened to shake everything up still further. I was thrilled to see the Norwegian Starfighter take to the skies recently , but the reply I received from the team was really depressing. "We can't come to the UK without back-up from the original manufacturers, which obviously we don't have". I travelled to several airshows in 1985 to see "The Vikings" F104 team, a most thrilling sight, reminding me of when I first saw the Starfighters of "The Slivers" at Biggin Hill in 1972. The Vikings even displayed at Leicester with its short runway and managed a touch and go (which I will post in due course), and signed a photo for me at St Mawgan. I'm sure everyone's got their favourite airshow moments; Stefan Karwowski in the Bearcat pulling round in a tight low turn over the crowd at West Malling, the Flanker arriving with the TU.134 at Boscombe Down in 1992, Ray Hanna in MH434 diving down into the valley at Biggin Hill, the TU.95 AND IL76 arrival at Fairford, the Starfighters at Greenham Common 77, the 747 in formation with 10 WWII fighters at North Weald, Don Bullock in the B17........the list is endless. I wonder how many memorable moments they'll be this year ?
Last edited by dreamworker on Wed 13 Jun 2018, 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dreamworker

Re: GOLDEN YEARS OF FAIRFORD

Postby CJS on Wed 13 Jun 2018, 5:41 am

Doesn't seem to be a working link. :dunno:

Anyways, maybe post some direct to UKAR would be good :up:
"Forewarned is forearmed"
How do you know I didn't?
CJS

Re: GOLDEN YEARS OF FAIRFORD

Postby speedbird2639 on Wed 13 Jun 2018, 6:02 am

CJS - there seems to be a general problem with flickr links at the moment. Any I click on send a message that the page can't be found.

So the takeover by the new people at flickr seems to be going seamlessly!
speedbird2639

Re: Golden Years of Fairford

Postby dreamworker on Wed 13 Jun 2018, 11:32 am

Hello if anyone is using a Mac , can they tell me how to upload to this site. When I go into my Flickr page, the "BBcode" code button that allows me to link : the images to site doesn't exist. I have lots of lovely shots to share.....so hoping someone can help. I understand there are issues with flickr...cheers
Last edited by dreamworker on Wed 13 Jun 2018, 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dreamworker

Postby dreamworker on Wed 13 Jun 2018, 11:46 am

OK looks like i've cracked it:

Image2018-06-06_13-36_0004 by John Chase, on Flickr
Image2018-06-06_13-35_0003 by John Chase, on Flickr
Image2018-06-06_13-35_0002 by John Chase, on Flickr
Image2018-06-06_13-29_0001 by John Chase, on Flickr
Image2018-06-06_13-36_0005 by John Chase, on Flickr
dreamworker

Postby Tommy on Wed 13 Jun 2018, 3:48 pm

dreamworker wrote:OK looks like i've cracked it

You certainly have, and boy what a collection! :rock: :rock:
Tommy
UKAR Staff

Postby dreamworker on Thu 14 Jun 2018, 4:31 pm

ImageIl frecce Tricolori Greenham Common 1981 by John Chase, on Flickr
ImageRay Hanna Biggin Hill 1981 Spitfire XIV by John Chase, on Flickr
Ray Hanna making one of his characteristic (and highly naughty) departures in Spencer Flack's Mk XIV Spitfire G-SPIT at Biggin Hill Air Fair 1981. This was the only time I ever saw Frecce Tricolori in their G91s, although I was at Farnborough '72, dunno how I missed them !
dreamworker

Postby AMB on Fri 15 Jun 2018, 1:48 pm

Fantastic set John, thanks for posting some excellent shots bringing back many memories. BTW, Spencer Flack's red Spitfire was G-FIRE, not 'G-SPIT'!
Adrian
AMB

Postby dreamworker on Fri 15 Jun 2018, 2:05 pm

Thanks Adrian, so how about some photos of Frecce Tricolori at Farnborough 72, i know you have some because i saw a tantalising glimpse of a G91 landing in your book about display teams !!!!
dreamworker

Postby aceyone on Thu 15 Nov 2018, 3:03 pm

Great set !
Don't know about those jets ,they spoil a very nice place
aceyone

Return to 'Golden Oldies' Photos