Golden Years of Fairford

Photos older than five years old (preferably much older)
dreamworker

Golden Years of Fairford

Post by dreamworker »

I am a lapsed airshow goer. I must admit that a lot of the aircraft that I used to get excited about have, as we know, now disappeared from the skies.....and those sights that used to set the pulse racing seem to be fewer and far between. I present here a selection of images photographed ( I don't scan ) from slides, mostly Kodachrome and Velvia. I include the Vulcan from Old Warden in 2015, because this seemed to me to be the last link between how things used to be and how they are now. The anticipation and significance of the Vulcan's last few appearances was tangible, and between the two shows in July and October, those terrible events at Shoreham threatened to shake everything up still further. I was thrilled to see the Norwegian Starfighter take to the skies recently , but the reply I received from the team was really depressing. "We can't come to the UK without back-up from the original manufacturers, which obviously we don't have". I travelled to several airshows in 1985 to see "The Vikings" F104 team, a most thrilling sight, reminding me of when I first saw the Starfighters of "The Slivers" at Biggin Hill in 1972. The Vikings even displayed at Leicester with its short runway and managed a touch and go (which I will post in due course), and signed a photo for me at St Mawgan. I'm sure everyone's got their favourite airshow moments; Stefan Karwowski in the Bearcat pulling round in a tight low turn over the crowd at West Malling, the Flanker arriving with the TU.134 at Boscombe Down in 1992, Ray Hanna in MH434 diving down into the valley at Biggin Hill, the TU.95 AND IL76 arrival at Fairford, the Starfighters at Greenham Common 77, the 747 in formation with 10 WWII fighters at North Weald, Don Bullock in the B17........the list is endless. I wonder how many memorable moments they'll be this year ?
Last edited by dreamworker on Wed 13 Jun 2018, 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CJS

Re: GOLDEN YEARS OF FAIRFORD

Post by CJS »

Doesn't seem to be a working link. :dunno:

Anyways, maybe post some direct to UKAR would be good :up:
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

speedbird2639

Re: GOLDEN YEARS OF FAIRFORD

Post by speedbird2639 »

CJS - there seems to be a general problem with flickr links at the moment. Any I click on send a message that the page can't be found.

So the takeover by the new people at flickr seems to be going seamlessly!

dreamworker

Re: Golden Years of Fairford

Post by dreamworker »

Hello if anyone is using a Mac , can they tell me how to upload to this site. When I go into my Flickr page, the "BBcode" code button that allows me to link : the images to site doesn't exist. I have lots of lovely shots to share.....so hoping someone can help. I understand there are issues with flickr...cheers
Last edited by dreamworker on Wed 13 Jun 2018, 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dreamworker

Post by dreamworker »

dreamworker

Post by dreamworker »

OK looks like i've cracked it:

Image2018-06-06_13-36_0004 by John Chase, on Flickr
Image2018-06-06_13-35_0003 by John Chase, on Flickr
Image2018-06-06_13-35_0002 by John Chase, on Flickr
Image2018-06-06_13-29_0001 by John Chase, on Flickr
Image2018-06-06_13-36_0005 by John Chase, on Flickr

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

dreamworker wrote:OK looks like i've cracked it

You certainly have, and boy what a collection! :rock: :rock:

dreamworker

Post by dreamworker »

dreamworker

Post by dreamworker »

ImageIl frecce Tricolori Greenham Common 1981 by John Chase, on Flickr
ImageRay Hanna Biggin Hill 1981 Spitfire XIV by John Chase, on Flickr
Ray Hanna making one of his characteristic (and highly naughty) departures in Spencer Flack's Mk XIV Spitfire G-SPIT at Biggin Hill Air Fair 1981. This was the only time I ever saw Frecce Tricolori in their G91s, although I was at Farnborough '72, dunno how I missed them !

AMB

Post by AMB »

Fantastic set John, thanks for posting some excellent shots bringing back many memories. BTW, Spencer Flack's red Spitfire was G-FIRE, not 'G-SPIT'!
Adrian

dreamworker

Post by dreamworker »

Thanks Adrian, so how about some photos of Frecce Tricolori at Farnborough 72, i know you have some because i saw a tantalising glimpse of a G91 landing in your book about display teams !!!!

aceyone

Post by aceyone »

Great set !
Don't know about those jets ,they spoil a very nice place

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

The Frecce on G.91s! :rock: :cool:
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

These somehow passed me by at the time they were posted - there are some great sights here.

There have indeed been some great moments and performers that have been and gone, and I'd argue there are still some great spectacles to be seen at airshows. For me, it is the lack of venues rather than participants as such that feels most different about the scene today.

Minor pedantry alert: the Vintage Pair's last season was 1986. That's an ace shot of them. The most taken-for-granted-until-they-were-gone act ever.

Abbo46

Post by Abbo46 »

Absolutely stunning! :drool:

Spitfire shot is immense.

AMB

Post by AMB »

dreamworker wrote:Thanks Adrian, so how about some photos of Frecce Tricolori at Farnborough 72, i know you have some because i saw a tantalising glimpse of a G91 landing in your book about display teams !!!!

Apologies for the delay in responding, but I have only just seen this request. Okay, well I just loved the Frecce when they had G.91s and first saw them at the wonderful Biggin Hill Air Fairs in the '60s, where I was given wonderful runway access press facilities - a thing of the past killed off by H&S & the CAA. Managed to obtain shots such as this taken in May 1969.
Imagefrecce by Adrian Balch, on Flickr

Then of course they came to Farnborough in September 1972.
Imagefrecce-6 by Adrian Balch, on Flickr
Adrian

Airwolfhound

Post by Airwolfhound »

Amazing shots, lets see some more please :-)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24874528@N04/

Agile, mobile and hostile ;-)

dreamworker

Post by dreamworker »

Beautiful Adrian, lovely images......why you don't publish a book with this lot in I don't know. Even if it was a Blurb Book. I'll see your Frecce and raise you all I have ....
ImagePatrouile de France Biggin Hill september 1980 by John Chase, on Flickr

dreamworker

Post by dreamworker »

Thats the same (admittedly lovely) shot you used in your book........lets see some more. Have you got Patrouille de France at Farnborough 72 too ????......How about Les Diables Rouge at Biggin 77 ?

dreamworker

Post by dreamworker »

ImagePatrouille de France Biggin Hill September 1980 by John Chase, on Flickr
Poor quality , but taken on bloody awful Orwochrome film and a bit overexposed too on the Fuji ST605n

AMB

Post by AMB »

dreamworker wrote:Thats the same (admittedly lovely) shot you used in your book........lets see some more. Have you got Patrouille de France at Farnborough 72 too ????......How about Les Diables Rouge at Biggin 77 ?

Well this would be deviating from the title of this thread as IAT didn't move to Fairford until 1985 long after both teams retired their Fouga Magisters.
Adrian

tankbuster81
UKAR Supporter

Post by tankbuster81 »

Memories flooding back in my head. And the name of a Canadian F104 team now in my head, The Tiger Romeo's, saw them at Biggin. Does anyone remember those guys? Believe they were based at Baden Soellingen?
Don't bother running, you'll only die tired!!

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

tankbuster81 wrote:Memories flooding back in my head. And the name of a Canadian F104 team now in my head, The Tiger Romeo's, saw them at Biggin. Does anyone remember those guys? Believe they were based at Baden Soellingen?

They were yes. By the 80's when the above shot was taken they were 'The Starfighters' - still from Baden-Soellingen, just a different squadron I think. A four ship - or maybe four ship plus solo? The first time I saw them (at Mildenhall) they came screaming in from crowd rear. Made me jump!

This is thread drift Adrian, but a aerobatic team history thread would be a great one. Perhaps you could kick it off with more of those classic images of yours?

st24

Post by st24 »

Wrexham Mackem wrote:
tankbuster81 wrote:Memories flooding back in my head. And the name of a Canadian F104 team now in my head, The Tiger Romeo's, saw them at Biggin. Does anyone remember those guys? Believe they were based at Baden Soellingen?

They were yes. By the 80's when the above shot was taken they were 'The Starfighters' - still from Baden-Soellingen, just a different squadron I think. A four ship - or maybe four ship plus solo? The first time I saw them (at Mildenhall) they came screaming in from crowd rear. Made me jump!

'79 was the last outing for the Tigers but a second Team was formed as The Starfighters drawn from the 3 Sqns of the 1CAG. They remained as a 5ship until their demise in' 83. Other 4/5 ship teams included Red Indians and Check Whiskey.
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!