Scotland - 2019/2020

Scotland - 2019/2020

Postby boff180 on Fri 14 Sep 2018, 11:16 am

Starting Summer 2019 the runway at RAF Lossiemouth will receive major refurbishment works lasting until late 2020.

For a 6 week period, the Northern QRA will relocate to RAF Leuchars.

All other Typhoon operations will relocate to RAF Kinloss for the duration of the works.

In addition the first few P-8, scheduled for delivery in early 2020, will operate from RAF Kinloss until works are complete at RAF Lossiemouth.

Andy

(Source:- Letter from the MoD sent to an MSP who has subsequently published it)
User avatar
boff180
UKAR Staff

Re: Scotland - 2019/2020

Postby Spiny Norman on Fri 14 Sep 2018, 2:28 pm

boff180 wrote:Starting Summer 2019 the runway at RAF Lossiemouth will receive major refurbishment works lasting until late 2020.

For a 6 week period, the Northern QRA will relocate to RAF Leuchars.

All other Typhoon operations will relocate to RAF Kinloss for the duration of the works.

In addition the first few P-8, scheduled for delivery in early 2020, will operate from RAF Kinloss until works are complete at RAF Lossiemouth.

Andy

(Source:- Letter from the MoD sent to an MSP who has subsequently published it)


That's interesting. It was genius of the Long Term Planning Department at the MOD to close two RAF bases, hand them over to the army and then realise they need them back as air bases, to which they had been for the majority of their existence.

Kinloss should have been retained as a maritime base and Leuchars a fighter base. Politics and sensible defence decisions rarely coincide...
User avatar
Spiny Norman

Re: Scotland - 2019/2020

Postby Skyflash on Fri 14 Sep 2018, 2:40 pm

Pleased to see the return of any kind of RAF fast-jet involvement at Leuchars although if it's just QRA, with the majority of the fleet up the road at Kinloss, presumably it will be pretty quiet most of the time.

I agree with Spiny though, neither base should have been closed/re-purposed in the first place. Awful decisions.
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...
User avatar
Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Re: Scotland - 2019/2020

Postby Unknown74 on Sat 15 Sep 2018, 1:52 am

Fantastic Spiny Norman, I agree with you 100%. A series of ludicrous decisions made by an incompetent Defence Minister as part of his big plan to save the country money and bring the Army back from Germany.

Come to think of it how come we can afford to refurbish a runway, that costs money doesn't it? Money we apparently don't have.
Unknown74

Re: Scotland - 2019/2020

Postby vandal on Sat 15 Sep 2018, 2:50 pm

Unknown74 wrote:Fantastic Spiny Norman, I agree with you 100%. A series of ludicrous decisions made by an incompetent Defence Minister as part of his big plan to save the country money and bring the Army back from Germany.

Come to think of it how come we can afford to refurbish a runway, that costs money doesn't it? Money we apparently don't have.


Maybe came from the same place they were to get the £130 million that was to be spent over 5 years, 2010-2015 preparing Leuchars for Typhoon, only to then move them to Lossie. £3 million spent in a seven month period alone, and at a time when it was known the base was threatened with closure.


https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland- ... e-13959770

https://www.scotsman.com/news/mod-to-sa ... f-1-834986
vandal

Re: Scotland - 2019/2020

Postby Unknown74 on Fri 21 Sep 2018, 6:38 pm

The fact that the normal Typhoon Operations are using Kinloss must be a bonus for visitors to Morayvia.

Feel a little disappointed Leuchars is only operating QRA North for a short period of time.
Unknown74

Re: Scotland - 2019/2020

Postby toom317 on Tue 25 Sep 2018, 12:12 pm

Unknown74 wrote:The fact that the normal Typhoon Operations are using Kinloss must be a bonus for visitors to Morayvia.

Feel a little disappointed Leuchars is only operating QRA North for a short period of time.


I would think it has to do with accomodation. Personnel will still be based at Lossie and transported over to Kinloss for work, and maybe use the messes there. It would be a major pain trying to accommodate most of Lossie's personnel at Leuchars. Then there's travel, separation, and god knows what other types of financial allowances would kick in, if folk were away from their normal base/families for any length of time.

Also, it is quite worrying that Lossie is getting work done on it. That's usually a sign that an airfield is to close in the near future. :biggrin:
"Nice pics mate" comments only! No criticism please.

Equipment: Camera, Lens, Goretex Y fronts.
User avatar
toom317
UKAR Supporter


Return to Heads Up/OTT

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Flankerman and 12 guests