Flybe to Edinburgh

Aviation sightings, roadrunners, exercises and flypasts
Spiny Norman

Flybe to Edinburgh

Post by Spiny Norman »

Anyone know what the Flybe Dash 8 from Belfast to Edinburgh is up to? Currently over Stirling having circled a few times.

DerekF

Re: Flybe to Edinburgh

Post by DerekF »

G-FLBE is in the hold at FL180 to the south. Seems to have been in the hold for a while.

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

This METAR will be the reason.

EGPH 211050Z 26001KT 0150 R24/0275 FG VV/// 00/00 Q1030

150m visibility in fog.

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Ah right. Other stuffs being going into EDI wondered what was the reason.

Alanko

Post by Alanko »

G-JEDU was doing laps over my flat today, every few minutes. The reason for the Dash 8s circling Edinburgh and the Borders today seems to hang on their ILS category rating and the potential crew qualification as well. An aircraft can have the equipment on board to land in zero visibility, but if the crew isn't trained to that category (3), then it cannot be done. It seems that the visibility at Edinburgh was too poor for an ILS category 2 autoland, which is all that a Dash 8 is equipped to perform, whereas the various Airbuses have Category 3 equipment on board, and pilots qualified to use it, which meant that they were able to land. This explains the odd Bombardier discrimination today.

I'm parroting this straight off Facebook, so send the hatemail to the usual address. :yahoo:

The thick fog is back tonight, and seemed to cover most of the Eastern half of the central belt earlier today. It was as thick as I've ever seen it here. Getting a train to Stirling earlier, there were times when I couldn't see anything much beyond the edge of the trackbed. Oddly this morning I could see G-JEDU passing overhead as the sky above was clear, yet I couldn't see the end of my street.

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Thanks, Alanko.

A good explanation that Flybe might have punted out on their twitter earlier to a few customers who weren't happy yesterday!

The sky was perfectly clear in the east of the city as well in the morning which made it puzzling until I went on the live traffice webcams and saw the peasouper nearer the airport area.