Tucano 'The Grand Flypast' ~ 27 Jun 17

Aviation sightings, roadrunners, exercises and flypasts
Pen Pusher

Tucano 'The Grand Flypast' ~ 27 Jun 17

Post by Pen Pusher »

Don't think I've seen this posted yet.

Starting at RNAS Culdrose, the route will take four of 72(R) Squadron’s Shorts Tucano T Mk.1 aircraft across the UK visiting many former RAF Stations that were operational during the Second World War with stops at RAF Odiham, the Imperial War Museum at Duxford and RAF Linton-on-Ouse on the way to the final destination at JHFS Aldergrove in Northern Ireland. One of the Tucanos will be newly painted in a specially designed commemorative livery.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DfG on Facebook
BAMPhotography on Facebook

Robin

Re: Tucano 'The Grand Flypast' ~ 27 Jun 17

Post by Robin »

Hi Brian.
Thank you for these details. Do you have any information on the timings for this flypast. I have a meeting on Tuesday morning at the Battle of Britain Memorial at Capel le Ferne, and it would be nice to be able to break off and see this event, also appropriate as No72 Squadron took part in the Battle of Britain.

Robin.
Per Ardua ad Astra

Alanko

Post by Alanko »

No chance of seeing this. The four people that live in Drem are lucky, and had this been at the weekend I might have taken the train out there if an ETA was provided. Beyond that it is like they've purposefully routed the aircraft away from the major settlements in central Scotland and, because it will happen on a Tuesday, most people will be in work. Also, why not repaint all four aircraft? I'm not seeing anything 'Grand' about this flypast. A token effort.

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Alanko

Had you read the info at the bottom of the map you would see that they are flying over all bar two airfields No.72 Sqdn were based at during the last 100 years, not urban conurbations for as many people as possible to see and 72 Sqdn was formed on the 28th June 1917 so a day early with the flypast so they could all be back on base for the actual centenary celebrations.

No e.t.a.'s posted for route that I've found.

Brian

DfG on Facebook

Alanko

Post by Alanko »

Pen Pusher wrote:Alanko

Had you read the info at the bottom of the map you would see that they are flying over all bar two airfields No.72 Sqdn were based at during the last 100 years, not urban conurbations for as many people as possible to see and 72 Sqdn was formed on the 28th June 1917 so a day early with the flypast so they could all be back on base for the actual centenary celebrations.

I didn't say they should avoid Drem, Leuchars, et al and fly over settlements instead, simply that they could have incorporated a flypast over places where people are likely to actually be and to stop and take notice. The route flown in England seems, by luck of the draw, to pass near settlements. Here in Scotland they are flying over open countryside and, as such, the flypast will occur and 99.9% of the population will be none the wiser about 72 Sqdn or their centenary. All well and good, but couldn't this have been a useful recruitment and educational exercise? Besides, RAF Drem is a chicken farm and antiques center these days, not an active airfield. There won't be aviation people there.This fastidious need to adhere to the date as closely as possible, and the airfield locations, seems admiral if somewhat shortsighted. Why not fly over the museum at East Fortune on Saturday the 1st, and have a small information stand set up for the occasion? The people at EF will actually care, be out in numbers, be looking up at the sky, be well informed and will be able to share the celebration. More people will learn and ultimately care about 72 Sqdn as a result. This could be carried out at other museums close to the proposed route. Circle the chicken coops at Drem afterwards to tick that box.

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

:wall: :wall: :wall:

Brian

DfG on Facebook

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Disgusted that their former bases in NAME aren't being included......I'll have to write a strong letter of protest to The Guardian !!

:whistle:
:biggrin:
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

Alanko

Post by Alanko »

Pen Pusher wrote::wall: :wall: :wall:

Brian

For a member of staff I would expect a slightly more fleshed out response. What even is your point?

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Alanko wrote:For a member of staff I would expect a slightly more fleshed out response. What even is your point?

OK, what part of - this is a 72 Squadron event, for their benefit, to celebrate their anniversary by flying over airfields they were based at during the last 100 years and not an excuse for you to throw your toys out of the pram because they didn't clear it with you first so they could fly over where you live - do you not understand.

Brian

DfG on Facebook

Darren50

Post by Darren50 »

This could be a daft question, but is the unmarked base to the right of Duxford, Wattisham or somewhere else.???

Jumbo

Post by Jumbo »

and similarly what is the airfield east of Biggin Hill?

NAM Updater

Post by NAM Updater »

With our 72 Squadron connections we're really proud to have been included in the route next week!

http://www.newarkairmuseum.org/72_Squadron_Centenary
Howard Heeley - Newark Air Museum Trustee
Every museum visit counts!
http://newarkairmuseum.org

starbuck

Post by starbuck »

Jumbo wrote:and similarly what is the airfield east of Biggin Hill?

I thought it might be Rochester with the Shorts connection but then read on the blurb at the bottom of the map that they are also overflying places connected to the surviving WW2 members of the squadron.

Looks like they are also going near Bournemouth and somewhere north of Tangmere as well.

Robin

Post by Robin »

Jumbo wrote:and similarly what is the airfield east of Biggin Hill?

I think that could be Gravesend, 72 Sqn flew from there during the B of B.

Robin.
Per Ardua ad Astra

NAM Updater

Post by NAM Updater »

Their Twitter feed has tweeted locations/timings this evening @RAFTucanoTeam :up:
Howard Heeley - Newark Air Museum Trustee
Every museum visit counts!
http://newarkairmuseum.org

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

DfG on Facebook

Bryan

Post by Bryan »

A single Tucano flew through Biggin Hill today approx. 12:10.

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

Heard him on Farnborough out of Odiham and just seemed a single ship, disappointing.

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

Disappointing? The flypast isn't until next week!

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

Ah, ok putting 2 and 2 together and getting 5! Didn't come my way so not hopeful next week.

minnie the moocher

Post by minnie the moocher »

wish I was closer to the route but then they come over my way reasonably often so I might get to see the new paintwork at some stage - one of my favourites is the Tucano :smile:

2E0TVR

Post by 2E0TVR »

Does anyone know of a good viewing point at RAF Odiham. I have never been there before but would like to see these arrive and depart. Thank you.

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

Pen Pusher wrote:
Alanko wrote:For a member of staff I would expect a slightly more fleshed out response. What even is your point?

OK, what part of - this is a 72 Squadron event, for their benefit, to celebrate their anniversary by flying over airfields they were based at during the last 100 years and not an excuse for you to throw your toys out of the pram because they didn't clear it with you first so they could fly over where you live - do you not understand.

Brian

Charming. Perhaps you and maybe 72Sqn should be reminded who actually pays for their "celebration" before having a go at those clearly disappointed at not being able join 72Sqn in their celebrating their anniversary.

Alanko

Post by Alanko »

Pen Pusher wrote:

Brian

Well I suppose a petulant response is better than a total non-response, but you have some nerve to suggest I'm the one throwing any toys out of prams! And again, a crap response for a member of staff. I only hope you aren't paid anything for your efforts given the effort you put into your "job".

I really don't care that much about this flypast. It is Tucanos, rather than anything actually rare or interesting. I've seen them before, and I will probably see them again. My only issue is with 'this is a 72 Squadron event, for their benefit'. Why does it have to be exclusively for their benefit, and in what way do they benefit from flying around the remains of RAF Drem? Are they bussing up family and friends for this momentous occasion? As I said before, which you've glossed over in your bizarre childish rant here, why not also use this as a recruitment or educational exercise? Note that I said "also" rather than "instead". Shift the date slightly, fly over some museums or built up areas, let people know the story 72 Squadron, the aircraft, the pilots... Why have such a blinkered, limited scope?