P38 on M4

Aviation sightings, roadrunners, exercises and flypasts
stillcrazy1

P38 on M4

Post by stillcrazy1 »

We were heading east on the M4 this morning, and around junction 8/9 I had the shock of my life when I saw, heading west, a Lockheed P38 Lightning on a low loader lorry. Fuselage (centre section and engine nacelles) were positioned across the truck, wings (and booms?) were also visible. Aircraft was olive drab with full USAF markings. Aircraft looked to be in in very good condition. Film prop or something we don't know about?

Dan O'Hagan

Re: P38 on M4

Post by Dan O'Hagan »

I can find no reference to a survivor in Europe, in that condition. The only European '38 would be the Red Bull example, plus what's lying off the beach in Harlech.

We do know The Mighty Eighth is due to go into production in the UK soon, so maybe a full size model for that, unless someone's bought themselves a new toy from the US?

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

It’s believed to be the example that was being stored at Bentwaters for restoration to flight. The photo I saw matched the markings of the aircraft believed to be there.

The aircraft involved is P-38H serial number 42-66841 marked “153” on the nose (as was the example seen on the motorway yesterday).

It was restored to static exhibit condition in Australia and was on display at the Classic Jets Fighter Museum in Adelaide. It was sighted being trucked to Bentwaters under black plastic in 2014 - there is even a thread on here about it.

Image and information credit the Warbird Registry..

Andy

Mike

Post by Mike »

Possibly on the way to Greenham Common, where the owner stores some of his other dormant airframes.

stillcrazy1

Post by stillcrazy1 »

Thanks very much for the replies; the picture certainly looks like what I saw. Interesting to know there is one over here in that condition. I'm aware that there are three being restored to flight in the Antipodes, but I couldn't believe that any of them were far enough forward to be in that condition on the M4.
Besides which I doubt if they will get delivered to Jerry Yagen or Paul Allen on the M4!
Some additional information is that the engines were off the airframe, with the grey painted bulkheads/firewalls visible.
Thanks again for the replies.

keithjs

Post by keithjs »

Mike wrote:Possibly on the way to Greenham Common, where the owner stores some of his other dormant airframes.

So that's the last we'll see of that then.... :heyhey:
...Rad shutters auto.

PJ1

Post by PJ1 »

Saw it on the A14 at Ipswich heading west bound Wednesday morning just after the rush hour. Certainly looked like the picture above. Assumed it was the rumoured Bentwaters Lighting. Sadly thought it might be going to Sywell for restoration to flying condition. Looks like it went a lot further afield.

tankbuster

Post by tankbuster »

keithjs wrote:
Mike wrote:Possibly on the way to Greenham Common, where the owner stores some of his other dormant airframes.

so what else is hidden away at Greenham Common?
Trevor C
recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

PJ1 wrote: Assumed it was the rumoured Bentwaters Lighting.

I thought that was a UFO in Rendlesham Forest? :ninja:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

keithjs

Post by keithjs »

tankbuster wrote:
keithjs wrote:

so what else is hidden away at Greenham Common?

I was under the impression that a certain Mr Arnold still had some of his collection secreted away there somewhere. :dunno: According some contacts I have in the area the GAMA site is/was still owned by Flying A services. http://www.thecoldwar.uk/flying-a-servi ... back-door/
...Rad shutters auto.

Mike

Post by Mike »

The Travel Air Mystery Ship and Spitfire IX NH238 are still there AFAIK. I'm not sure what else, the P-51D recently went to Sywell for a return to flight.

keithjs

Post by keithjs »

Mike wrote:The Travel Air Mystery Ship and Spitfire IX NH238 are still there AFAIK. I'm not sure what else, the P-51D recently went to Sywell for a return to flight.

FWIW, according to the latest Military Aircraft markings book the Spit is still there. :dunno: I was actually on the airfield and surrounding site a few weeks ago so unless its in bits I couldn't see it anywhere....There are a few largish buildings that could accommodate it but knowing the mans reputation I didn't start snooping around.... :wink:
...Rad shutters auto.