Lanc over Cardiff

Aviation sightings, roadrunners, exercises and flypasts
Brevet Cable

Lanc over Cardiff

Post by Brevet Cable »

So, did everybody in & around Cardiff ( Tommy ) enjoy the highly-publicised flypast by the BBMF Lancaster yesterday evening?

Oh, that's right, it wasn't highly publicised....in fact, it was hardly publicised at all -- nothing on the Welsh news, nothing on the local news websites, not even a NOTAM as far as I can tell.
The only prior notification that I know of was on the 'Aviation Wales' website.
Concidering the fact that the Cardiff flypast ( it also did a flypast over Chepstow ) was as part of the RAF100 celebrations there, I'd call it a poor effort.
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

DocStirling

Re: Lanc over Cardiff

Post by DocStirling »

Just got the fright/thrill of the year :shock: as the Lanc just flew right over my house on its way to Rickmansworth, then Aylesbury then on to Old Warden.

Frustrated that I was not awaiting it, camera in hand, but the BBMF web page is too thin on flypast detail and I don't do FB, where they had a picture of a bit of paper that would have told me to be ready, if I had bothered to look.

I think I'll need to subscribe to them, as every so often I do get a little private display as I am right by Northwood HQ!

DS
How Do I KNow

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Brevet Cable wrote:So, did everybody in & around Cardiff ( Tommy ) enjoy the highly-publicised flypast by the BBMF Lancaster yesterday evening?

Heh, sadly not, butt. I was visiting the 'rents in the filthy black hole of despair that is Welshpool (JK - it's beautfiul. As long as you're only ever passing through) last night. Thought that there might be something, given the RAF100 exhibition is here this weekend (which I might have a gander at tomorrow on the way to the library).

Anyway, yah, poor show not to advertise it. Not really an excuse (as it's the BBMF's raison d'etre), but perhaps it wasn't considered "for" the public, but maybe an expensive black tie soiree somewhere in the city. :dunno:

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

RAF100 Gala Dinner, apparently.

Edited to add...
As an aside, given that it's also the 75th anniversary of Operation Chastise, I'm surprised nothing seems to have been mentioned about Guy Gibson's links to the area ( Penarth, St Athan & Cardiff )
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

The Wessex thread has reminded me, if anyone wanted to know what was what, I'm pretty sure the info is public, but the aircraft involved were:

Harrier GR3 XZ997/V
Plastic Typhoon (with RAF100 tail sticker)
Wessex XR498
Snipe E6655
FSM Spitfire marked X4474 QV-I

Actually was really nice to wander round the place. It's an interesting little setup, but plenty of RAF people on hand to help, ask questions, pose for selfies. Lots of interactive stuff, too. I know it's not much, but all in all, fair play. It got my aircraft juices flowing. Really want to get to some airshows, now.