C17's taking off from Newquay?

Aviation sightings, roadrunners, exercises and flypasts
captainfurious

C17's taking off from Newquay?

Post by captainfurious »

Hi

I was at Mawgan Porth beach near Newquay on Friday and to my surprise a C17 flew over very low seemingly from Newquay airport. I also believe there is an RAF base at St Mawgan. Anyway, I saw 5 in total but couldn't tell if it was the same one landing and taking off. Also I'm sure the first wasn't RAF. Can anyone shed any light onbmy surprising sight.

Thanks

cg_341

Re: C17's taking off from Newquay?

Post by cg_341 »

Probably an RAF example doing circuit training, no RAF airbase at St Mawgan any more - it's Newquay airport now.

FGR2

Post by FGR2 »

The RAF still have a training facility at St Mawgan, for Survival, Evade, Extract etc. The runway is now with Newquay airport, I think the RAF still have one of the HAS for storage. The RAF do use Newquay airport for circuit bashing though.

PeteM

Post by PeteM »

It was just the one, ZZ175 (Ascot814). It did a few touch and goes.
Also during the week there has been a Hercules C6 and Atlas C1.

captainfurious

Post by captainfurious »

Thanks for your response's and clearing that up!

Graf Zeppelin

Post by Graf Zeppelin »

Lovely photo Pete :up:
Cheers Phil

Excellere Contende

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

Oh for those brilliant days of the past again? Sitting on Mawgan Porth beach with up to 8 Shackletons of three different Marks in the visual circuit. Small wonder I miss the old 'Growler'. The only bad thing about being on the beach was - I couldn't see as much as up at the old Runway 13 crash-gate!

PeteM

Post by PeteM »

Stagger2 wrote:Oh for those brilliant days of the past again? Sitting on Mawgan Porth beach with up to 8 Shackletons of three different Marks in the visual circuit. Small wonder I miss the old 'Growler'. The only bad thing about being on the beach was - I couldn't see as much as up at the old Runway 13 crash-gate!

Times change sadly. An early August Weds morning 20/30/40 years ago would see you sitting in a queue for one of the finest Airshows in the Country. Today you'll be joining a queue of the great unwashed going to a music/surf festival (where a free drug testing service is available). Apparently that's what they call progress.