Single rotary-engined monoplane overflying Bristol

Single rotary-engined monoplane overflying Bristol

Postby thunder city on Tue 30 Oct 2018, 3:43 pm

Hi all.

I saw a single-engine low-winged, rotary-engine monoplane fly over Bristol heading East at around 2:50 this afternoon. Was dark in colour and I didn't have my glasses on to see if it was camouflaged or not - any idea?

Dave
thunder city

Re: Single rotary-engined monoplane overflying Bristol

Postby ArabJazzie on Tue 30 Oct 2018, 4:25 pm

Dave,
FR24 playback has Yak-18T G-YAKJ flying over the Bristol Channel in the general direction of Bristol prior to your sighting. It stopped tracking before Bristol so cant say for sure, but dark coloured lower fuselage seems to tie in.
Arabest,
Geoff.
52 in a year! We must be certifiable!
ArabJazzie

Postby Brevet Cable on Tue 30 Oct 2018, 5:34 pm

Arrived at St Athan from White Waltham around 11:15hrs, departed back to White Waltham at around 14:25hrs.
Meh !!
Not an enthusiast or a spotter
trollpikken fforwm swyddogol
Brevet Cable

Postby Seahornet on Tue 30 Oct 2018, 7:21 pm

thunder city wrote:Hi all.

I saw a single-engine low-winged, rotary-engine monoplane fly over Bristol heading East at around 2:50 this afternoon. Was dark in colour and I didn't have my glasses on to see if it was camouflaged or not - any idea?

Dave

Just a point of detail, for information; modern 'round' engines like the one fitted to your Yak are called 'radial' engines. A 'rotary' engine is an antiquated type like those fitted to Sopwith Camels and Fokker Triplanes, where the crankshaft is bolted to the airframe, and the crankcase and cylinders spin around with the propeller. :smile:
And as the smart ship grew,
In stature, grace and hue,
In shadowy silent distance grew the iceberg too....
Seahornet

Return to Heads Up/OTT