A forum for UKAR Group Builds
Charles022

Tankers and Transports GB questions and advice

Post by Charles022 »

Any questions or advice post here :smile:

davidm

Re: Tankers and Transports GB questions and advice

Post by davidm »

C-130 question...... Does anyone have any idea as to the correct interior colour, I can't find the pictures I took a while back :sad:

cheers David

flying_medic

Post by flying_medic »

Here's some photos from my archive of a couple of Gazelles in a Herc in Belize.The quality is not brilliant as they are scans of prints but they do show the interior well.

I eventually plan to use these photos as the basis for a diorama, so I will be watching your build with interest.

Hope they are of some help.

F_M

mattlaker

Post by mattlaker »

If you use Humbrol paints- 78 would be the closest to those reference photos- Cockpit green, i believe! It's the colour i used on the Swordfish interior... How are you going to do the interior? It could possibly benefit from sections being lined with a PVA/bog roll mixture, to give that textured effect...
Matt hates Photo Etch as of today

davidm

Post by davidm »

mattlaker wrote:If you use Humbrol paints- 78 would be the closest to those reference photos- Cockpit green, i believe! It's the colour i used on the Swordfish interior... How are you going to do the interior? It could possibly benefit from sections being lined with a PVA/bog roll mixture, to give that textured effect...

Cheers for the colour ref Matt. I had'n thought about the interior to much, had'nt decided if i would do back door open or shut. I think open possibly!

scotthldr

Post by scotthldr »

davidm wrote:
mattlaker wrote:If you use Humbrol paints- 78 would be the closest to those reference photos- Cockpit green, i believe! It's the colour i used on the Swordfish interior... How are you going to do the interior? It could possibly benefit from sections being lined with a PVA/bog roll mixture, to give that textured effect...

Cheers for the colour ref Matt. I had'n thought about the interior to much, had'nt decided if i would do back door open or shut. I think open possibly!

The only problem with rear door open is that it opens up a lot of bear space, which on the other hand could be a scratch building dream.

mattlaker

Post by mattlaker »

scotthldr wrote:
davidm wrote:

The only problem with rear door open is that it opens up a lot of bear space, which on the other hand could be a scratch building dream.

Indeed! mind you, if you have a spare 1:72 gazelle, you're laughing!

flying_medic

Post by flying_medic »

mattlaker wrote:
scotthldr wrote:
davidm wrote:

Indeed! mind you, if you have a spare 1:72 gazelle, you're laughing!

Hey! that's my idea! :smile:

davidm

Post by davidm »

How about a 1:76 truck? at least thats what i think it is. I know its small anywho!

mattlaker

Post by mattlaker »

Anyone doing a herc build may be interested to have a look at this one :drool: http://www.modelclub.gr/forums/index.php?PHPSESSID=c4d1dac438201f50369b2bee9dbb63a3&topic=2874.0

Deacon
UKAR Supporter

Post by Deacon »

Need your help guys (I know some of you have the answer).

The wheel wells and undercarriage on the Victor. I thought they were white but Revell are suggesting aluminium. So, what colour should they be?

Cheers

Deacon

ianf

Post by ianf »

Hi alan
The undercarriage bays on victors are aliminuim pm if you need a pic.

Ian
Victor XL231 Lusty Lindy, crew chief.
Our face book page. https://www.facebook.com/LustyLindy231/?ref=bookmarks

Deacon
UKAR Supporter

Post by Deacon »

Guys, I need your help again.

Revell would have you mix four colours to get the scheme for the Cosford Victor. Does anyone know a ready to use paint?

Cheers

Deacon

mattlaker

Post by mattlaker »

I think the colours are light Aircraft Grey and RAF Hemp- Ian, please feel free to correct me if i am wrong!

Xtracolor do the hemp- (Humbrol discontinued it) and also they do a LAG too... HTH...

Seamus

Post by Seamus »

I assume the Victor at Cosford is in the Hemp/LAG scheme? If so, you're after Humbrol Hu 168 or Xtracolor X016 for the Hemp, and Hu 166 or X015 for the LAG, assuming you use enamels of course.

If you're an acylic man, Xtracrylix have an equivalent XA1016 and XA1015 respectively :)

For future reference, you're probably best ignoring Revell's colour call outs. They only reference their own paint range, which do not match especially well to BS/FS/RLM etc, plus they recommend mixes for a lot of colours that are readily available in other, and in my opinion better, colour ranges.

EDIT Seems Matt beat me to it :grin:
My shots on Flickr and Airliners

ianf

Post by ianf »

Hi alan
Seamus and matt beat me to it. Seamus colours are right and has he says Revel aren't the most accurate when it comes to colour. if you do use enamels the humbrol ones are the easiest to find.

Ian
Victor XL231 Lusty Lindy, crew chief.
Our face book page. https://www.facebook.com/LustyLindy231/?ref=bookmarks

Deacon
UKAR Supporter

Post by Deacon »

Thanks guys. I'm sure Matt has told me before to ignore Revell colours and just ask for the equivalents (when will I listen).

Shaun, that helps a lot, hope to pick up the paint tomorrow.

Ian, should have guessed you would know :grin: .

Deacon

mattlaker

Post by mattlaker »

Deacon wrote:Thanks guys. I'm sure Matt has told me before to ignore Revell colours and just ask for the equivalents (when will I listen).

Shaun, that helps a lot, hope to pick up the paint tomorrow.

Ian, should have guessed you would know :grin: .

Deacon

If Ian doesn't know it, it isn't worth knowing :cool:

I went down the Xtracolor route on the canberra, and they are pretty much perfect straight out of the tin, if you are going to spray it, but not good at all for brushing.

Yeah, Revell paints... love them, but i'm more often taking the humbrol route (for anything other than the essentials palette as i think the aquacolor range is superb and use them more than the enamels now). Humbrol do just about everything you will ever need tho... Also, the Revell aquacolor Sky type S is the best i have used, with incredible coverage and density. Their mixes are just too hit and miss tho- you can never recreate the same shade twice, unless you store the original batch up in pipettes with blu-tack on the tip. Only problem with Humbrol is you need to REALLY mix them well, or else you get different levels of hue- a problem i have specifically had with their LAG in the past- if you don't mix it thoroughly you can get a colour that is either a light grey or a hemp colour- 5P's, mate- Planning and Preparation Prevents Poor Performance!