WW2 Allied GB- 1/72 Trumpeter Vickers Wellington GR Mk XIV

A forum for UKAR Group Builds
Seamus

WW2 Allied GB- 1/72 Trumpeter Vickers Wellington GR Mk XIV

Post by Seamus »

Morning all

With the Helldiver sorted, I thought I'd immediately crack on with my second entry for this GB, the rather lovely looking Trumpy Wellington. Always had a soft spot for the Wimpy as its named after a rather famous Duke of the town where I live, so have been looking forward to this one ever since it was added to the stash. Here's the contents, a veritable mountain of plastic:

Should make a start on cutting some plastic during the course of today

Cheers

Shaun :)
My shots on Flickr and Airliners

vespasia

Re: WW2 Allied GB- 1/72 Trumpeter Vickers Wellington GR Mk XIV

Post by vespasia »

Looks magnificent! I've always loved the look of the Wimpey, so I'm looking forward to this one a lot :yahoo:

Steve :smile:

mattlaker

Post by mattlaker »

Glad to see you've overcome the Vought GB mental block mate! i do love the wimpys- gotta admire the crews for going up night after night in an obsolete airframe on the short hops over the channel against a superior enemy... it's a job that as much as i think i'd be able to do, when push came to shove, i doubt i would have had the courage to.

Really looking forward to this one- i have memories of my pateral grandfather discussing the war, and how on rare occasions he had the task of servicing the radios on wimpeys- a plane he loved working on as a change of scene from the Ansons. I remember the ropey old airfix ones, and do not envy you the task of all that glazing.... i'll be watching with interest as it's a kit that [url]may[/url] tempt me to do something in :pinkwafer: scale again...
Matt hates Photo Etch as of today

Seamus

Post by Seamus »

Cheers chaps, always nice to have some early interest :D

Matt, :pinkwafer: scale eh? Heard it called many things- God scale, one true scale etc, but never pinkwafer! :grin: Still, it's proved to be a lovely kit so far, I'd highly recommend it. From what I've seen online, it looks to be a scaled down version of their 1/48 kit (or vice versa), so would be a pretty impressive beast in quarter scale I reckon :)

Right then, progress has been slower than I had hoped, due largely to double points weekend on Call of Duty, and a wee cold yesterday, but the interior is now essentially complete. The cockpit was sprayed black and for the fabric, I added a bit of white to some Hu 73 to give the pinky colour and sprayed it all over, before beginning the arduous task of picking out the geodetic structure in silver (In fact, I couldn't be arsed with the rear fuselage as it was a bit of a pain, and it won't be visisble anyway). I made more than a few mistakes here, so had to touch up the red oxide after. The main floor and bomb bay structure were sprayed silver, with the the wooden areas hand painted with a mix of dark earth, white and orange, before having raw umber oil paint smeared about. The colour looks better in real life than the pics, and is my first go at trying to replicate wood. Not entirely satisfied with the outcome, but it will be barely visible once the fuselage is buttoned up. In fact, so little will be visible, all of this is largely wasted effort, but it's nice to know it's there :) That said, I'd have normally given it all a wash, but didn't feel it would be worth the effort. The panels and details were picked out in various colours before a bit of silver drybrushing here and there.

Et voila!

As you can see the detail in the kit is rather lovely, (though I can't vouch for it's accuracy) with the only slight disappointment being the lack of the nose crew position.

The transparencies have all been given a dip in klear and masked off, with the fuselage windows glued in place. Annoyingly, I had to fit the waist guns prior to final assembly, so they're now an accident waiting to happen..... The rear turret and engines have also been painted and now await assembly.

All in all, not bad progress, and I should now be able to make a good crack of getting the assembly sorted over the next few days. Early dryftitting shows the fit to be largely excellent, so am not anticipating too many problems here.

Thanks for looking, all comments welcomed

Cheers

ianf

Post by ianf »

Hi shaun
Thats an aweful lot of detail that wont be seen which is a pity but you have done a good job. I wanted to know how the trumpeter wellingtons were, it looks like the answer is good. I Will continue to watch this one with interest.

Ian
Victor XL231 Lusty Lindy, crew chief.
Our face book page. https://www.facebook.com/LustyLindy231/?ref=bookmarks

Deacon
UKAR Supporter

Post by Deacon »

That interior is absolutely stunning Shaun, well done mate. :clap:

Deacon

mattlaker

Post by mattlaker »

Blimey that is one heavily doped lot of fabric! Nicely replicated tho mate! I can tell you spent ages on the silver bits, but it's really paid off on the geodetic structure- i'd've just drybrushed it, closed it up, and walked away whistling... :whistle:

Looking good matey!

scotthldr

Post by scotthldr »

Looking good Shaun, such a shame you won't see any of it when closed up, but at least you know it's there and it's practice. :clap: :clap:

davidm

Post by davidm »

Looks brilliant, lots more detail than i had with the revell wellington

Seamus

Post by Seamus »

Thanks for the kind words so far chaps, much appreciated :)

I've been beavering away on the old girl for the last few days, and have now completed most of the construction to the point where she's pretty much ready for paint. The fit is largely excellent, with most problems encountered due to my own carelessness (you'd have thought I could remove a part from a sprue properly by now :whistle:) hence the odd dab of filler here and there. The most ill fitting part way the leigh light, which despite much sanding did not want to fit flush to the fuselage, so applied some filler there. There was also a fair amount of sanding to do around the engine nacelles, but again that probably more my fault than the kits. So here's where she is- the tail turret is dry fitted for show

The eagle eyed amongst you will notice the port waist gun has fallen victim to my carelessness during handling....it's now safely sat in the box, so I fully expect it to disappear without a trace when it comes to fixing it back in place :roll:

Anyways, a bit more construction and clean up required and I'll start getting some paint on the old girl.

Thanks for looking

Cheers

mattlaker

Post by mattlaker »

Well, she's certainly taking shape now! Shame about the gun getting broken- hope you don't lose it!!! That's quite a masking job there... nicely done sir! :clap:

Seamus

Post by Seamus »

Thanks mate. The gun is still sat safely inside the box, though I fully expect it to vanish when it comes to re attaching it :grin:

OK more, more progress with the Wimpy, and after taking longer than I had hoped, the paint job is done. After priming and preshading, I've used Xtracolor white and EDSG, the latter of which I added a few drops of white to and added some random (ish) fading. Really enjoy spraying with Xtracolor :)

Next job will be the decals, which there aren't many of, so should be able to finish this one of fairly swiftly now.

Comments welcomed as always

Cheers

Ben Montgomery

Post by Ben Montgomery »

That looks rather good! Weathering and shading is spot on, as always :clap:

Ben

Seamus

Post by Seamus »

Cheers Ben :)
More progress and the decals are on- all 12 of them! Managed to squeeze them in after the Avon show :D I've used Klear to settle them down which should pull them nicely over all that lovely fabric detail. Once they've fully settled I'll brush another coat of Klear over the whole model in preparation for some light weathering.

Thanks for looking, comments welcomed as always

Cheers

mattlaker

Post by mattlaker »

Yep, she's a beauty!!! :clap:

Seamus

Post by Seamus »

Cheers chap :)

A quick update and I've finished the weathering. Nothing spectacular, just a quick panel wash for the few lines around the bomb bay and engines, and some exhaust staining. Not managed to find any pics showing the staining, so I've used a bit of creative license, though I imagine it would have looked something like this. Does look odd without the exhausts in place mind :D

Have all the sub assemblies sorted now, so should simply be a case of flattening everything first thing tomorrow, before completing the final assembly, hopefully sometime in the evening.

Thanks for looking

Cheers

ianf

Post by ianf »

Hi Shaun
I like it! she has built well hasn't she? nice and subtle on the weathering too, should be eye catching when finished. Oh and don't forget the waist gun :grin:

Ian
Victor XL231 Lusty Lindy, crew chief.
Our face book page. https://www.facebook.com/LustyLindy231/?ref=bookmarks

mattlaker

Post by mattlaker »

Yeh, i'd forgotten about the waist gun!!! That finish is superb, and the smoke staining looks pretty darn good to my eyes! I reckon it'll look even more awesome when you unmask the glasswork!

Seamus

Post by Seamus »

Thanks very much chaps :)

I managed to spray a matt coat last night and have since completed the final assembly this morning, so she's now complete, waist gun and all :D

I've taken some pics, but they're pants, so I'll take some better ones this evening and get them up in the gallery. In the meantime, here's a sneak preview of the old girl

As ever, many thanks for the kind words and encouragement throughout the build, much appreciated :clap:

Cheers

Deacon
UKAR Supporter

Post by Deacon »

OMG :shock:

jhudsahajkdbwjfduwh (sorry, lost for words :grin: )

The He-111, the Helldiver and now this !!!

Awesome Shaun, truly the business. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Deacon

Takamota

Post by Takamota »

A little cracker Mate. Lovely paintjob!
Http://www.tomsaviation.co.uk Updated 11th January 2016

mattlaker

Post by mattlaker »

Nicely done, mate! :clap: :clap: :clap: superb!

Seamus

Post by Seamus »

Thanks very much fellas, very much appreciated :)

As promised, here are a few better pics of her :D

I'll pop a few up in the gallery shortly.

Thanks again

Cheers

Wes_Howes

Post by Wes_Howes »

:clap: Excellent Shaun, the weathering on her is spot on

Deacon
UKAR Supporter

Post by Deacon »

Ahhhhhhhhh, I've just noticed a mistake. That black splotch on the fuse.................oh, it was on my screen :grin: .

Deacon