GB Double Build - 1/72 Esci/Italeri F/RF-5A

A forum for UKAR Group Builds
ArabJazzie

GB Double Build - 1/72 Esci/Italeri F/RF-5A

Post by ArabJazzie »

Hi all,
Along with other themes ive got going at the minute, im just about to start these group builds with another theme i have collected in my stash. When things settle down in 2 weeks, i will be making a Spanish RF-5A oob for Spies in the skies GB and if i find and buy the decals, an F-5A for the Good morning Vietnam GB.
Arabest,
Geoff.
52 in a year! We must be certifiable!

Deacon
UKAR Supporter

Re: GB Double Build - 1/72 Esci/Italeri F/RF-5A

Post by Deacon »

Good man.

I have an F-5 so will be interested in the difference between this and a R/RF-5

Deacon

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie »

Hi again,
Now that things have settled down again, its time to update on whats been done with my doubleGB!

The first week was taken up by the families first holiday abroad by plane, only thing is, i loved Gran Canaria that much i want to go back now!!! Week 2 saw me back at work for 7 early shifts so didnt get much done.

So with some spare time ive managed to get the Italeri, Vietnam era F-5A to this stage. Some research last week made my mind up and this will eventually wear some Mk.82 Snakeyes. During this research i also found these machines were designated F-5Cs.
I them read the instructions and found i have the Vietnam markings so this is now OOB!

The original mould for this kit came from Esci and here is the sprue shots from the Skoshi Tiger boxing of the F/RF-5A.
This has started to become a Spanish RF-5A in Camo OOB!

As i said above, this is the start of a new theme of the F-5 and its development including the following.
KLu F-5A (not yet purchased)
SpAF RF-5A
??? F-5B
USAF F-5C
RCAF CF-116D (not yet purchased)
USN/AF F-5E :whistle: A future GB entry!
??? F-5F
Saudi RF-5E (not yet purchased)
??? F-20G Some WHiffery potential??
??? X-29A Prototype if the decals work!

Arabest,
Geoff.

Deacon
UKAR Supporter

Post by Deacon »

That should look great Geoff all those F-5's..

Looking forward to the next update.

Deacon

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie »

Hi again chaps!
Well best laid plans n all that saw me grab more ot than i can really handle, especially when i have this and that to deal with.

But one thing that is still on track is my GB entries! These kits are so easy to build it is looking like i may be able to grab some spare time over the next few days to push ahead.

First the F-5C is just waiting for its slats and the first white coat has been applied to the belly.

For the RF-5A, while dry fitting the rear fuselage belly to the upper parts, i noticed a big step all round with the upper parts a bit pinched and one side of the fin warped. Clamping the fin sorted that bit out and some sprue cut n filed to size spaced the fuselage out enough to get to this stage.

However, as i look for a solution to the pinching, i broke out the F-5B and built the rear fuselage up so that is now built to the same stage as the RF-5.
Arabest,
Geoff.

Deacon
UKAR Supporter

Post by Deacon »

Looking good Geoff. Those outside hard points look a wierd design.

Hope you can update soon. :smile:

Alan

mattlaker

Post by mattlaker »

how are these going? any updates?
Matt hates Photo Etch as of today

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie »

Hi all,
Seen as ive just noticed Matt trying to hurry me up, i thought id better post the slow progress on these. As is usual with me, other things get in the way. Buying a new camera has meant i had to grovel a wee bit. So have decorated the living room at long last and used the excuse of a couple of trips to Ikea to use the camera at Edinburgh Airport! She has just turned round and said she wants more Ikea stuff so naturally i will be more than willing!

These have not been left alone and are now at this stage.

Will try and get more done over the weekend but need more paint!
Arabest,
Geoff.

Deacon
UKAR Supporter

Post by Deacon »

Geoff,

You are a bad lad mate. :smile: You are at the stage where things are really hotting up with your builds and you go and leave us waiting to see the
paint job on top of the base colours. :grin:

Looking really good by the way and it will be fantatstic to see a family photo of all your F-5's together. Just the three together at this stage looks good.

Alan

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie »

Hi again,
Well i have got to the stage where it was better to put most of the effort into just one of them, so naturally the F-5C took centre stage for a while.

These were taken last night so bar a wee bit of a touch up, future and decals should be done tomorrow. Looking at the centre fuel tanks as supplied, im not 100% sure it is correct so i am about to look through my weapons stash to see what can change my mind.

The RF-5 is part painted with the underside white and a bit of touch up required.
Arabest,
Geoff.

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie »

One down, one to go!

A wee bit here n there to finally finish it but thats been done this morning. Also finished is my Airfix Spitfire PR.XIX, and nearing the finishing line with a Hasegawa Tristar, Revell Typhoon T1, Special Hobby Sea Fury FB11 and a Gazelle AH1. There are about 20 others in progress at the minute as well that i am planning to get through over the next few weeks.
Arabest,
Geoff

Deacon
UKAR Supporter

Post by Deacon »

Well done Geoff :clap: :clap: :clap:

Deacon

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie »

Well i came in from work with the intention of painting the canopy, fitting the main gearwheels an doors and taking some photies of the RF-5A! Sadly the wife n kids have laid the table for a wee party tonight! Sure all wont mind me finishing this one in the morning now, eh!!!
Happy new year when it comes!
Geoff.

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie »

Finished!

But ive fogged the front canopy, first time since using Humbrol Precision Poly! I also see the camera picks up some parts i dont see where the paint could be better! Will have to take more care in the future!

My family lasted an hour after the bells so the last few bits of the RF-5 were painted and left to dry. Around 12 on the 1st, it was all brought together to a finish. A day late to finish and 2 for the pics!
Happy New Year,
Geoff